MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Who is doing trusty tube amp repair

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Who is doing trusty tube amp repair

Postby Thomatc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 am

Who is doing good work on older tube amps these days? 80's Fender Concert (Rivera), looking to has some issues fixed. Filter caps etc. Don't want a hack job.
Thomatc

Postby Mike O » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 am

Sid at the Guitar Shop on Atwood has worked wonders for me when I need tube amp work.

http://guitarshopofwisconsin.com/greg/

2215 Atwood Ave
Madison, WI 53704
(608) 241-8448
Mike O

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I heard bad stuff about those guys, and went anyway with a Fender Deluxe. It had no signal and my normal amp guy is 2.5 hours away. (I know it's far, but he is a trustworthy retired guy who has worked on my dad's amps since the 60's, and he works cheap.) Greg told me that it was a blown something which cost $85 for the part alone. Labor not included. I called my normal guy and he said that if that part burns out it is covered in lacquer (sp?) and would really smell bad, and it would be obvious to find out. I gave it the smell test, and there was nothing. I took the fuse out, flipped it over and tightened it up. Powered up. I have since played about 10 shows with it. Just saying, if you go don't be afraid to get a second opinion.
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby benfury » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:13 pm

mike is right.

guitar shop is the place to go. but if you are guitarded then you should stick with your crappy solid state paper weight and go rock at good n loud.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:12 pm

I've heard a number of good things about Greg Ginter's on Atwood so I took my amp in and Syd fixed it. I took my guitar there, Syd fixed it. Then I bought a number of used guitar effects there, guitar cables and have returned a couple items as well.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby Thomatc » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks. Ben, I think you need to do some research. Fender Concert amps aren't "solid state" be any means. All tube buddy. I also use a George Dennis Mighty Mouse. Have you heard of that amp? I've also had some really nice solid state amps in my 30 plus years of playing.
Thomatc

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:04 am

Thomatc wrote:Ben, I think you need to do some research.

Or maybe he just needs to hold his tongue when he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 am

What!?? you mean the awesomest rockinest store ever Guitar Center doesn't also have un-paralleled repair services. But hey Bro you should totally buy that B52 amp. It's totally loud and bitchin'. I'll even throw in the power cable for free!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:31 am

So, where's Ed Larsen? He did good work on my Fender Hot Rods (and my Telecaster). I really miss Edtronics. I need my Tele worked on.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:53 am

fisticuffs wrote:But hey Bro you should totally buy that B52 amp. It's totally loud and bitchin'. I'll even throw in the power cable for free!

You only get the power cable if you buy the amplifier care starter kit.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 am

i wasnt talking about you specifically. i was talking about people who need amp repair in general.

go get cancer.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smartypants » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:35 am

benfury wrote:i wasnt talking about you specifically. i was talking about people who need amp repair in general.

go get cancer.

Real nice shithead. Anyone in your family ever have cancer? I've read some dumb things on this forum but you just took the cake.

You must be one of those young snappy guitar players that takes 3 hours to find the perfect tone so you can play all 3 chords you know ad nauseum, to impress your neighbors' cats.
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:12 am

Use your ears. How you want your to amp sound is such a personal thing. If it sounds good to you then that's all that should matter.
Personally I've never really understood the snob-snubbery against solid state amps.
I'm a fan of the modernish hybrid amp with a tube pre and a no-maintenence solid state power section. Vox seems to have it down to an art/science on their guitar amps. My Ampeg BA600 combo bass amp has a couple tubes in the pre of channel 1 that flavor the sound in a beautiful way, but the power amp itself is a 'switching' Class-D type. Lightweight and solid state as a rock.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm

benfury wrote:i wasnt talking about you specifically. i was talking about people who need amp repair in general.

Oh, so you weren't being a prickish snob specifically, just generally.

Cute.

go get cancer.

Spoken like a pre-teen who still thinks he knows everything and will live forever.

Grow the fuck up, Junior.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thomatc » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Appreciate the backup. Just trying to get a legit question answered by others that have the tact and knowledge. Didn't even want to get into a rant about the cancer quote!
Thomatc

Next

Return to Madison Music