MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bands at the Taste of Madison....

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Bands at the Taste of Madison....

Postby dstol62 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:16 pm

I know there is another Taste of Madison thread, but since this is musically related, I thought I should put it here...

What is the deal with the selection of bands overall? A few local groups deserve merit for various reasons, but overall, there is a general lack of quality. In past years, there have been some excellent choices such as Tower Of Power. These rehashed 70's and 80's bands or vocal headliners who are former members of these groups should stay in the podunk county fairs. Madison has the potential to be a progressive city, and the selection of bands at these kind of public festivals (as with Orton, Marquette,etc) should reflect that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish listening to my Blue Oyster Cult compilation...
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:23 pm

Other name acts from past Tastes include War, Sonny Landreth and even Peter Noone. Also of note, but not as well known, Wayne Toupes and Zyde-Cajuns.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bands at the Taste of Madison....

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:10 pm

But John Ford Coley.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 pm

There are plenty of bands to see and hear. Just not at the Taste of Madison.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Actually, from the looks of things, the Taste has people several levels below what a typical fair can pull. The Central Wisconsin State Fair (this weekend) has:

Bobby Vinton
Everclear
Loverboy
Mel Tillis

At least Joe Bouchard will probably do "Hot Rails to Hell". Plus Caroline's Spine gets extra points for having teletype machines on their home page - looks like the kind I learned to program on back in the dark ages.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music