MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Derek Trucks @ Majestic, 9.9

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Derek Trucks @ Majestic, 9.9

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:37 am

Great show. If you like slide guitar, I sure hope you were there.

But why do people pay good money to go hear world-class musicians and then chat through the whole show? I'm not talking about a murmured comment -- but flat-out, full-bore, shout-to-be-heard babbling. Why do audiences engage in -- and put up with -- behavior that would not be tolerated for a second for any other form of entertainment, in any other kind of venue? Why is it that when you go to the movies, or theater, or a concert at Union Theater, you're expected to be quiet and attentive, but when you see a concert at a pop music venue, you're not?

Is it the beer?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Derek Trucks @ Majestic, 9.9

Postby harrissimo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:48 am

Stu Levitan wrote:But why do people pay good money to go hear world-class musicians and then chat through the whole show?

Is it the beer?

It's because some people are not really there for the music but rather are there for other reasons.

It bugs me too Stu and it's even worst when you are a performer.

When I work a hotel lounge or restaurant I don't mind it but when I am trying to perform at a "music club" it can be very annoying. I don't expect total silence but when there is this underlying din of conversation I just want to stop playing and leave.

Derek Trucks is a great guitar player by the way.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:49 am

I can understand a little conversation between songs - I tend to talk about the performance while the band is re-tuning or so. But I can't stand the people that keep talking even louder once the music starts. I think one reason is that the noise levels are so high that a person thinks that their individual contribution won't matter, but a whole bunch of these people together makes a hell of a din.

Nice interview with Derek on Sunday, by the way. I would have loved to see him last night, but I was stuck at work until way too late.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 am

I saw Neko Case at The Vogue in Indianapolis a while back, was lucky enough to get a pretty great spot in a standing room only crowd, in an elevated section of the lower level that gave me a bird's eye view of the stage. To the left of me were 2 women who proceeded to talk, loudly, through the entire show. not only to one another, but also to others on their cell phones. During a few of her songs, when the audience was spellbound and the silence in the room was of the pin-drop variety, the women did drop their voices to exaggerated whispers. At one point, I asked them, politely, to please be quiet, and they laughed at me.

It's rude and annoying to be sure, but unfortunately not much can be done about it beyond having the venue "police" its own patrons. seems to me the only time I've seen people actually hush up (at least for a little while) is when someone like a bartender, waitress, promoter, doorperson, etc. tells them to.

The last time I was at the Majestic I had a similar problem... I moved to a different area of the venue, totally different situation. That place is great because there are so many seating options.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby tagevers » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Great show. If you like slide guitar, I sure hope you were there.

But why do people pay good money to go hear world-class musicians and then chat through the whole show? I'm not talking about a murmured comment -- but flat-out, full-bore, shout-to-be-heard babbling. Why do audiences engage in -- and put up with -- behavior that would not be tolerated for a second for any other form of entertainment, in any other kind of venue? Why is it that when you go to the movies, or theater, or a concert at Union Theater, you're expected to be quiet and attentive, but when you see a concert at a pop music venue, you're not?

Is it the beer?

Last night at the Momo with Ben Taylor, a couple of women were sitting up front and talking loudly the whole time. Finally, near the end of his set, Ben said something like: "If you've been talking the whole time, please be quiet for these next few songs."

Unfortunately, one of the offenders was in the restroom when he said this. She then came out, talking on her cell phone, which she proceeded to do as she walked back to her seat, continuing to talk audibly during the quiet song.

Again, she's sitting near the front, so I ask her to be quiet, relating that it's a request from Ben that she apparently missed. She brushed me off. Then Ben calls her out and asks that she gets off her phone, to which she replied obnoxiously: "I paid my money...," implying she could do whatever she pleased.

Unbelievable.

If I owned a club, I would have signs posted requesting audiences to show respect to the artists and to other patrons. That would be your warning. If you insisted on talking loudly, your money would be refunded and you'd be asked to leave. Period.

(This would be for shows in "listening room" settings, not for loud rock shows like Derek Trucks -- impossible to enforce there.)

It probably wouldn't work in any case because drinking/socializing is the reason why a lot of people go out in Madison, bigger than the music it seems.
tagevers
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am

harrissimo wrote:when I am trying to perform at a "music club" it can be very annoying.

After 60 years of "trying", you'd think you could find an ounce of humility and stop punishing the people in the audience.

harrissimo wrote:I just want to stop playing and leave.

This is the only thing you have in common with any sane member of any audience you've ever been in front of.

No worries mates. He has me on ignore.

The scenario described at Momo would have driven me mad! I can only guess that bimbo was on the phone with Harris!!! :-)
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby harrissimo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:02 am

Garimba wrote:
harrissimo wrote:when I am trying to perform at a "music club" it can be very annoying.

After 60 years of "trying", you'd think you could find an ounce of humility and stop punishing the people in the audience.

This is the only thing you have in common with any sane member of any audience you've ever been in front of.

The scenario described at Momo would have driven me mad! I can only guess that bimbo was on the phone with Harris!!! :-)

SIGH! What did I do to deserve this type of abuse?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Garimba » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 am

harrissimo wrote:
Garimba wrote:

SIGH! What did I do to deserve this type of abuse?

It would be a lot of work but if somebody went back and copied your last couple hundred vicious, trolling posts (let's go back to your cheeky banter with Mr. Blues too) and put them all in one post, you'd have an overwhelming response to the question you already know the answer to.

I love you you act like you showed up here yesterday Harris and that all your bullshit isn't just a couple clicks away.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:27 am

Just once, could we possibly stay on topic and not let another thread devolve into a series of ad hominem attacks and counter-attacks?

Pretty please?

Thanks.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beesorry » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Just once, could we possibly stay on topic and not let another thread devolve into a series of ad hominem attacks and counter-attacks?

Pretty please?

Thanks.

I think it has to do with the attention span fostered by TV.
The longer TV has been around the worse this problem gets. People are trained to get bored if the scene does not change in less than 5 seconds with jump editing.
Music requires an attention span and some level of concentration to appreciate especially at a concert. Rap music has the rapper changing what they are saying all the time. if the audience gets a little restless they wave there hands in the air like they just don't care and suddenly its arobics at the YWCA. The rapper is always pacing keeping the eye occupied like a rap video.
But an instrumentalist takes a different level of listening. Its just too much work for most people these days.
beesorry
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Just once, could we possibly stay on topic and not let another thread devolve into a series of ad hominem attacks and counter-attacks?

Pretty please?

Thanks.

Yes. Sorry.

My perspective- it's the wide range of listener in the club. From other musicians that are there to check out the band's sound, technique, instruments, etc., to appreciative people that have the band's records that are there to listen and enjoy to the ugliness of the drunken boyfriends or girlfriends that got dragged along and couldn't give a rip about the band that is playing let alone the people that are there for the music. And the general flesh hunters that haunt every venue.

My least favorite of all though are the professor music critic ass hats that spend the entire evening analyzing the band like they are bacteria in a petri dish. So sorry you had the joy sucked out of your life at some point. God, I dislike those guys. Sure, I could move and often do but if I have a good view of the bass player, that's the spot in the club that I want. Being within ear shot of "I would have done this or it would have been better if they would have done that". Grrrrr... just want to bang their heads together.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:12 pm

tagevers wrote:(This would be for shows in "listening room" settings, not for loud rock shows like Derek Trucks -- impossible to enforce there.)

I was at the show and find it kind of ridiculous to expect a crowd at a rock show to be quiet. Especially when you have to shout to be heard by the person next to you. No I don't talk during the entire show but when I run into people I haven't seen in a long time, it is nice to exchange a few pleasantries.

I understand Stu might have been stuck sitting by some blabbermouths that likely continued during the whole show, but c'mon this was a loud (for the most part), amplified rock/blues show and the venue was very full/packed with people. Add alcohol to the mix and you are guarenteed to have some people whooping it up, celebrating, etc.

Low key - acoustic "listening shows" are entirely different story, but Derek Trucks last nite was not one of them.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 pm

eriedasch wrote:
tagevers wrote:(This would be for shows in "listening room" settings, not for loud rock shows like Derek Trucks -- impossible to enforce there.)

I was at the show and find it kind of ridiculous to expect a crowd at a rock show to be quiet. Especially when you have to shout to be heard by the person next to you. No I don't talk during the entire show but when I run into people I haven't seen in a long time, it is nice to exchange a few pleasantries.

I understand Stu might have been stuck sitting by some blabbermouths that likely continued during the whole show, but c'mon this was a loud (for the most part), amplified rock/blues show and the venue was very full/packed with people. Add alcohol to the mix and you are guarenteed to have some people whooping it up, celebrating, etc.

Low key - acoustic "listening shows" are entirely different story, but Derek Trucks last nite was not one of them.

I agree with these sentiments 100% and it is a reminder of one of many reasons why I avoid most mellow shows like the plague. I don’t like “you’re in a libraryâ€Â
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:25 pm

[quote="charliedon'tsurf"]
...I avoid most mellow shows like the plague.I don’t like “you’re in a libraryâ€Â
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:34 pm

harrissimo wrote:That's a shame Jake because by only attending "drunken party" type of shows you are missing a lot of great music.

Peace Out.

I actually prefer to take in the mellower side of my musical tastes at home on headphones. So it is not necessarily that I don’t listen to anything outside of punk and metal, I just don’t tend to see bands like that live. When I have seen bands like that I find the shows unsatisfying and lacking in fun with a couple exceptions, like Calexico and Tortoise. Different people like different shit.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music