MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Question to the sound guys at Majestic for Derek Trucks

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Question to the sound guys at Majestic for Derek Trucks

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:53 am

Is it standard operating procedure these days to only turn on the subs for the main act?

The Greyhounds were an excellent opening band; anyone who came in only for Trucks missed out, big time.

However, I (and two other musician friends) all noticed that the subs were off for the entire set. How do we know this? We were standing right in front of them.

As soon as the Greyhounds got off the stage and the house music came up, BAM, on went the subs, and stayed on the rest of the night.

So has this been happening a while, or is it some new way to make sure the opener doesn't show up the main act?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Question to the sound guys at Majestic for Derek Trucks

Postby beesorry » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Is it standard operating procedure these days to only turn on the subs for the main act?

The Greyhounds were an excellent opening band; anyone who came in only for Trucks missed out, big time.

However, I (and two other musician friends) all noticed that the subs were off for the entire set. How do we know this? We were standing right in front of them.

As soon as the Greyhounds got off the stage and the house music came up, BAM, on went the subs, and stayed on the rest of the night.

So has this been happening a while, or is it some new way to make sure the opener doesn't show up the main act?

Dude this has been going on for ages. its the headliner trick to make the headliner sound better and at a "different level" than the opening act. People should be aware of this when they go to conerts that the opening act gets half the PA to work with the headliner does!
beesorry
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:05 pm

ilikebeans wrote:The Greyhounds were an excellent opening band; anyone who came in only for Trucks missed out, big time.

Agreed. Subs or no subs I thought the Greyhounds played a great, albeit short opening set. I could hear the bass pumping through the organ pretty well where I stood in front of the sound board.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:56 pm

beesorry wrote:Dude this has been going on for ages. its the headliner trick to make the headliner sound better and at a "different level" than the opening act. People should be aware of this when they go to conerts that the opening act gets half the PA to work with the headliner does!

Geez. It's been obvious that the opener gets only a small set of the lights to use, but didn't realize they also sabotage the sound for the non-main acts. I would have thought this kind of trick would only apply to the major leagues-- I noticed that Elvis Costello's opening set sound was horrible at Marcus last month, while The Police, of course, sounded great.

Can't say I've seen this done at places like the Union Terrace or the High Noon. Have you noticed this regularly at the Majestic, Barrymore, or Orpheum? Who makes this decision, the promoter?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 pm

The most memorably egregious example I've ever witnessed was The Pretenders opening for Neil Young at the Marcus in Milwaukee. I swear they didn't pipe The Pretenders through the mains at all. They were barely audible. Then a tired-looking Neil Young comes out later and gets the full power treatment.

When our band headlines a multi-band bill we usually request the inverse - crank up the openers but run our mix through Walkman headphones.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:11 pm

It's quite possible that the opener's sound guy was a douchebag. If the club does something like aux fed subs, the guy could have missed it. And if the headliner ate up all the souncheck time, the opener might have been running 'commando' audio.

Just saying not everything is a conspiracy...
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beesorry » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:47 am

madt0wn wrote:It's quite possible that the opener's sound guy was a douchebag. If the club does something like aux fed subs, the guy could have missed it. And if the headliner ate up all the souncheck time, the opener might have been running 'commando' audio.

Come on dude its not a conspiracy.
ItS JUST THE WAY ITS DONE!
beesorry
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:44 am

madt0wn wrote:It's quite possible that the opener's sound guy was a douchebag. If the club does something like aux fed subs, the guy could have missed it. And if the headliner ate up all the souncheck time, the opener might have been running 'commando' audio.

Or just an honest mistake? Maybe the Greyhounds did not have their own sound guy travelling with them and at the mercy of Trucks' tech. Also due to being an "opener" may not have even got a soundcheck.

Again, I thought the Greyhounds sounded very good and certainly did not think anyone was sabotaging their sound. I've seen a lot worse at bigger stadium type shows and my first thought is "those f'ckers are making them sound bad on purpose". Trucks' & band likely sounded a little more "full" and rounded out due to the subs being turned on, but wonder if anyone else other than those standing right in front of them even noticed?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beesorry » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am

eriedasch wrote:

Or just an honest mistake? Maybe the Greyhounds did not have their own sound guy travelling with them and at the mercy of Trucks' tech. Also due to being an "opener" may not have even got a soundcheck.

Again, I thought the Greyhounds sounded very good and certainly did not think anyone was sabotaging their sound. I've seen a lot worse at bigger stadium type shows and my first thought is "those f'ckers are making them sound bad on purpose". Trucks' & band likely sounded a little more "full" and rounded out due to the subs being turned on, but wonder if anyone else other than those standing right in front of them even noticed?

I noticed sitting in the balcony!
As a working musician I have been in that opening slot many times.
Nobody wants to be usurped by the opening act. They may deny doing it. But they all do do it.
beesorry
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music