MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Forward Music Fest Transform the Madison music scene?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Forward Music Fest Transform the Madison music scene?

Postby harrissimo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 am

I don't think so. What do you think?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 am

Considering it hasn't actually occurred yet, how could we possibly know?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 am

meowzamusic wrote:Considering it hasn't actually occurred yet, how could we possibly know?

Educated guess?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 am

I hope so. Madison deserves a wider recognition for their thriving innovative music scene.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 am

Transform? What sort of criteria are we talking about? What has to happen in order to earn the transformed tag?

This fest is a good thing regardless.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am

It'll all be completely different in the aftermath of a bunch of bands coming to town for the weekend. Man, this really changes EVERYTHING.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:55 am

juanton wrote:Transform?

That was the word Rich Albertoni used. I don't quite know what it means either.

It's a big country and while Madison has a vibrant rock/punk music scene there are a lot of other places with equally good music scenes. It might be hard for little Madison to stand out in the crowd.

I give them credit for trying and as Borat says "GREAT SUCCESS!"
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:57 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Man, this really changes EVERYTHING.

Kyle, could you elaborate? I don't disagree but I am interested in specifically what you think will change?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:03 am

I was being sarcastic (forgot that doesn't always translate online).

I wasn't aware that anybody would expect this fest to change anything around here. Is it expected to be a SXSW kinda deal, as in making Madison known as a "music town" nationally? Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a huge positive thing. But as far as changing the local scene? Nah. Does anybody really expect it to?

Now if the Forward Fest is resoundingly successful for some years, then sure it'll change things, maybe put Madison more on a national map for being a music city. I'm all for that. But there won't be some big shift in the way things are Sunday morning when the fest is over.
Last edited by Kyle Motor on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:10 am

I think that some transformation to national stature for Madison is unlikely. SXSW & ACL worked well because Austin was already widely known as a hotbed of live music. But I agree that if Forward keeps going on it can certainly help out the local scene.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am

Looks like the weather will be perfect!

Nothing more minatory than sopping wet stumbling madison music fans.

Dave and Noble can rest easy tonight at their slumber party.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:31 am

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 am

Yeah, we know.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Now if the Forward Fest is resoundingly successful for some years, then sure it'll change things, maybe put Madison more on a national map for being a music city. I'm all for that. But won't be some big shift in the way things are Sunday morning when the fest is over.

I think that is an important point. No, this one festival will not transform shit, but it is a beginning. However if this can be pulled successfully as an annual event that expands into more days, more venues and larger amount of bands it will snowball on word of mouth. The primary organizers wisely chose to limit the size and scope this first year. In the spirit of being overly ambitious could be too much to take on, fail utterly and prove to the naysayers that such a festival would not be able to take place in Madison.

That's why I think its important for live music suppporters to come out for this. This basic concept of a venue hopping extended weekend of diverse performers in venues throughout the downtown is beautiful and I want to see it get bigger next year. But people need to buy wristbands for organizers being willing to put something this complicated together again.

Madison does have geography in its favor as to why such a festival can work in this town. Location on an isthmus tends to have the music venues concentrated on the downtown strip of land between the two lakes making them largely within walking distance of one another. Also being located within reasonable driving distance Twin Cites, Chicago, Milwaukee and pockets of midwesterns with advanced musical tastes living in surrounding rural areas, we got lots of potential attendees to draw on outside of Madison. It is ridiculous to even talk about comparisons to SXSW which is simply huge and Madison does not have the associated music infrastructure of a town like Austin. However modeling on something more regional and modest like say North by Northeast in Toronto could be a reasonable and valid goal that would have to pay some dividends to the local live music scene in the long run.

I know a couple tangible goals and hopes I have this first year is too maybe get people who don't go to tons of shows into our wonderful venues and possibly create return customers. Also maybe get some undergrads to check out FMF and likewise return later in the year for 18+ show opportunities benefiting performers and venues in the future. Or so I hope.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 am

juanton wrote:Yeah, we know.

Less than an hour ago, it seems like you didn't. Thought it might be helpful to the discussion, plus if I didn't do it, Jason probably would.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music