MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Forward Music Fest Transform the Madison music scene?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Postby el guante » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:17 am

as a recent UW grad, i think the reason college students don't support local music is a lot deeper than any simple drinking age or promotion question. i think it's a real cultural shift-- music (particularly live) just doesn't seem as important to young people as it was even ten years ago.

of course there are exceptions, but i'm talking about the bulk, the 40,000. it's really weird.

if there IS any hope, it has to be in marketing and promotions. we're long past the days when college students will seek out local bands to support on their own. you have to PUSH them with a very focused promo plan... fliers, blog outreach, getting in the papers and on the radio, etc. and for some of us, it's probably a lost cause. college students tend to like certain genres more than others. i've had some success as a rapper, but i'd imagine it's ten times harder as a garage rock band or punk band.

wish i had more thoughts.
el guante
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:39 pm

el guante wrote:as a recent UW grad, i think the reason college students don't support local music is a lot deeper than any simple drinking age or promotion question. i think it's a real cultural shift-- music (particularly live) just doesn't seem as important to young people as it was even ten years ago.

Yup. Definately a cultural shift.
So many reasons why.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's where the only place you could experience "youth culture", find your identity, and express your rebellion was by going to shows.

Now people have so many other ways to do that, or they think they do.
IMHO all are poor substitutes because very little of it is about creating a community and instead focused on satisfying the individual.

It's all about "what are you going to do for ME" and
not, "Hey isn't it cool were all in this together".
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boobus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:02 pm

without alcohol, the chances of getting laid dwindle... it's the sexual lubricant. the kids ARE going out to bar under age... they're just not choosing to go to shows. they have to make the most of their time out.

it's not music vs. alcohol, it's about music vs. sex. sex will win every time.
boobus

Postby harrissimo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:07 am

boobus wrote:without alcohol, the chances of getting laid dwindle...

with alcohol your weiner dwindles.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:06 pm

rick wrote:Those of us around in the 80s when the age was raised witnessed the end of the golden era of local music.

We need to bring back Headliners.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
rick wrote:Those of us around in the 80s when the age was raised witnessed the end of the golden era of local music.

We need to bring back Headliners.

Oh my God yes, you just freaked me out.

Madison has a rich history in music.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Just curious, what local bands are packin' the clubs these days?
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:19 pm

Mostly the kind that play covers.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:55 pm

This Milwaukeean had a fucking blast at the Forward fest all weekend, "transformations" be damned. I think i saw 19 bands over the course of two days and only disliked like two of them.

I'm currently writing up a recap for Vital Source on the new blog they set up for me there. Check it out if you're so inclined; so far i've covered day one with Screamin' Cyn Cyn and Monotonix, with a quick mention of probably my favorite new Madison discovery (for me) of the weekend, Zebras. Hot damn, Zebras!
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Mostly the kind that play covers.

I'd say the cover bands are more popular during the summer months. All of the area beer tents and fundraisers seem to showcase a lot of cover bands because they cover the broadest range of musical tastes.

I don't know if any local bands are necessarily "packing" the clubs, but I'm a big fan of the Box Social, Blueheels, and just about all of the Crustacean acts. I don't make it to most of their local shows but I try to support them in other ways: buy a CD or a shirt, etc.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am

The last time we played with the Box Social, they brought in a good 100+ people to the Annex, easy. Of course, most of them showed up JUST to see them and then immediately left, but hey, we got their money.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ForwardMusicFest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:45 pm

DrAwkward, thanks for the stellar writeups! very accurate and entertaining. Hopefully your band can be a part of FMF 09!
ForwardMusicFest

Re:

Postby Beau Geste Productions » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 am

superman wrote:Just curious, what local bands are packin' the clubs these days?

Joel Pingitore & the PlayGround of Sound usually pack em in. They don't have many Madison gigs. Mostly in the burbs. They do real well in Stoughton packing Stella's every time they play there.
They will be playing Madison on Nov 22 at the Club Tavern.
Beau Geste Productions

Re:

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 am

ForwardMusicFest wrote:DrAwkward, thanks for the stellar writeups! very accurate and entertaining. Hopefully your band can be a part of FMF 09!

Crap, i didn't see this until now, but hey, you're welcome! Yes, please get us on a bill next year!
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music