MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Post Transformation Thoughts

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Post Transformation Thoughts

Postby keelio » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 pm

harrissimo wrote:
keelio wrote:
harrissimo wrote:Who was that band with chicks wearing wigs and the double keyboards that played the kids stage at the Willy St fest. They were great. My favorite band of the weekend!

Madgadders Band - featuring several VO5'ers, hence the proclivity for wigs and other accoutrements

Thanks for letting me know who they were. I thought they were excellent. Do they play out regularly or was this a special one-time thing?

They do get out occasionally. Typically children's events and festivals. I know they've done a couple 'Kids in the Rotunda' shows. One of my bandmates in another project is part of the group - I'll check if they keep an email list for upcoming shows.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:33 pm

harrissimo wrote:Meanwhile, the Willy Street Fair is a neighborhood festival that is supposed to represent, well, the entire neighborhood. And there are several stages for a variety of types of music. And I know quite a few jazz fans and musicians in the neighborhood. So it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to say that it would be nice to have a least one jazz group represented on one of the stages. If that is ok with you Eric? With all due respect etc. I mean you wouldn't have a problem with that Eric would you. And I hope you don't feel that I am a mean-spirited negative person showing disrepect for the community for pointing this out.

Peace Out!

Jazz bands? For the record I would have much rather watched a skilled, tight, jazz band over some of the groups I saw at Willy Fair, but I do understand booking and that generally you don't book jazz bands at Willy St. Fair. I think even most jazz bands understand that.

Now back to the REAL question, why were there no JAM bands at Willy fest this year?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Edited because I need a day job. Sorry.
Last edited by harrissimo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smartypants » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:57 pm

harrissimo wrote:
What do you think?

I think you hijacked your own thread. Now I remember why I stopped reading this section of the forum.
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Smartypants wrote:
harrissimo wrote:
What do you think?

I think you hijacked your own thread. Now I remember why I stopped reading this section of the forum.

ehhh...ok
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Could it be that Jazz bands would break the budget?

Generally punk and other indie type bands are willing to work for free or close to it, but jazz musicians tend to demand professional wages. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for Jazz here, so why spend the money if no one really cares?
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Madison Music