MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, February 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

UW Marching Band Suspended

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

UW Marching Band Suspended

Postby harrissimo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 pm

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Band bails out

Postby jackisonian » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Hazing these days, my god. I am sure in wasn't like back my Drum Corps days. Kids these days are to soft, somebody cried and spoiled the party. The Vets (upperclass) hassle the rookies (Freshman) a bit. It has been going on forever and will continue.

Tommorrow they should get Mama Digdowns! Might be hard on such a short notice.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby butters » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:02 pm

1 dog
1 Frisbee
consider them replaced
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Band bails out

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 am

jackisonian wrote: It has been going on forever and will continue.

It shouldn't, and after this, it won't.

Good for Mike Leckrone.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:52 am

Yup. I was at the Bascom Hill Society function at Monona Terrace tonight when the Chancellor announced this. This crap is unacceptable. Period.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:55 am

This is the local music scene? Really?
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 am

Leckrone is trying to save his job. Suspending the entire band for the actions of a few has shined a huge spotlight of toxic PR on the UW Band.

What was Biddy thinking by going along with this bone headed move? We are paying her a half million dollars a year to make terrible decisions like this one.

Punish the band members that did the hazing. Suspending the entire band is as juvenile and impulsive an act as the hazing and now has garnered the UW a bunch of terrible PR that may have fund raising consequence that could impact the entire university system.

I say bring back the band and fire Leckrone and Biddy Martin. Hire a band director with some common sense.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:52 am

Who's not a little sick of the band and their entirely predictable show? Same songs at the same time every single game. They were lame enough to be replaced by what might actually be one of the worst hip-hop acts in history (House of Pain) singing a horribly misogynistic tune ("if your girl steps up I'm smackin' the ho!") at the pivotal moment of any football game (before the fourth quarter). Thanks to decades of ineptitude on the field itself, they think they're a bigger part of the game than they are. They're missing in action at times when the crowd needs to be amped up and bands at places like USC or Michigan or even Notre Dame play. Instead, at Camp Randall, we get Ozzy over the P.A. and other nonsense.

The selfish acts of a few will now ensure that the UW is scoffed at and ridiculed on national TV tonight, when what normally would happen is that Brent Musberger would gush about the band and give a shoutout to Leckrone. What they should do is fly the Grambling band in to show the people up here what a real halftime show looks and sounds like, instead of yet another horrific tribute to the music of Andrew Lloyd Weber.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:24 am

jjoyce wrote:Who's not a little sick of the band and their entirely predictable show? Same songs at the same time every single game. They were lame enough to be replaced by what might actually be one of the worst hip-hop acts in history (House of Pain) singing a horribly misogynistic tune ("if your girl steps up I'm smackin' the ho!") at the pivotal moment of any football game (before the fourth quarter). Thanks to decades of ineptitude on the field itself, they think they're a bigger part of the game than they are. They're missing in action at times when the crowd needs to be amped up and bands at places like USC or Michigan or even Notre Dame play. Instead, at Camp Randall, we get Ozzy over the P.A. and other nonsense.

The selfish acts of a few will now ensure that the UW is scoffed at and ridiculed on national TV tonight, when what normally would happen is that Brent Musberger would gush about the band and give a shoutout to Leckrone. What they should do is fly the Grambling band in to show the people up here what a real halftime show looks and sounds like, instead of yet another horrific tribute to the music of Andrew Lloyd Weber.

+1 jason, +1.

Further to the point, anybody who claims like Stu that "It shouldn't, and after this, it won't" continue to happen simply hasn't been paying attention. This crap has happened forever and every few years rears its ugly head in public, then Mike Leckrone Campus God (tm) swoops in, does something completely symbolic, everybody forgets what happened and the situation goes back to the way it was.

I remember, Jason probably remembers, and anybody who went to the UW in the late 80's should remember the "Songbook" controversy. WSA (the ultimate in impotence ) was talking about doing something serious and I would remember the few marching band kids who were also School of Music students with me laughing their asses off at the notion. They were right. Nothing happened then and nothing's going to happen now.

When I go to games now, I don't stick around for the "Fifth Quarter" (and hardly anybody else does anymore). I would rather hear "Crazy Train" on a loop for a half-hour than one more music from "Cats" presentation (which, as I recall, I've now seen twice in person).
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:38 am

A suspended UW band is better than another "tribute to SWING MUSIC". Yeesh.

When was the band replaced with the prerecorded music (which is also horribly predictable)? Was it when they moved them from the stands down onto the field?

Now would be a good time to get back to having the band play during the games although I can imagine the outcry if they took away Jump Around - "theres no reason to go to the games anymore" says Jennifer Anderson, a sophomore from Plover.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:11 am

harrissimo wrote:
What was Biddy thinking by going along with this bone headed move? We are paying her a half million dollars a year to make terrible decisions like this one.

Or maybe it was a very smart decision. She knows the band is an institution here and she can't just shut the whole thing down when she's been on campus just a month or so. So instead she put it on notice that things have to change, drastically, immediately. She had to get their attention -- nothing else has, as noted elsewhere on this thread. It isn't 1980 in Madison any more, and you can't have sexual demands and hardcore hazing in the band, in fraternities, or anywhere else.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sophia Kitty » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:40 am

Instead of suspending the whole band for the actions of a few, why not terminate the individuals who committed the violations from the band and take away any music related scholarships they may be receiving? I'm pretty sure that would send a strong enough message to keep everyone worth keeping in line.
Sophia Kitty
Forum Addict

Postby harrissimo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:44 am

snoqueen wrote:. . .you can't have sexual demands and hardcore hazing in the band, in fraternities, or anywhere else.

Damn it I miss the good old days! What's wrong with Amerika? Do you mean Frats can't have gang bangs anymore? Are you telling me that college kids are not allowed to get stinkin' drunk and have fuck fests. Man, the terrorist have won! I'm going to load up my bong and drown my sorrows.

But just think about it: if they had quietly kicked the ones that did the hazing out of the band this would not have gotten any attention at all. Instead they suspend the entire band thus creating tons of negative press and proving to the world that they are incompetent and unable to control the students under their charge. Doesn't sound too smart to me.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Sophia Kitty wrote:Instead of suspending the whole band for the actions of a few, why not terminate the individuals who committed the violations from the band

Tried that. Didn't work.

I don't think kicking the kids out of school is too harsh. When you start to let sexual harassment like that slide, you're encouraging it. And when they're wearing a big 'W' on their chests, then it reflects poorly on everyone.

I also think they should yank Leckrone's annual band concerts from the Kohl Center. Let him find another place to hold these extravagant celebrations of himself.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sophia Kitty » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:
I also think they should yank Leckrone's annual band concerts from the Kohl Center.

Perhaps you're correct in your assessments.

I think it's time for Leckrone to retire, and Bitty should be doing everything in her power to make that happens.
Sophia Kitty
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Madison Music