MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

UW Marching Band Suspended

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Postby Bunny Chow » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Does anyone know the details of the hazing? Girl kissing and beer fetching doesn't seem all that bad to me. Did they hurt someone? Duct tape their butt cheeks?

I always liked the marching band.....nice legs.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Girl kissing and beer fetching doesn't seem all that bad to me.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "girl kissing". However, forcing women to kiss in order to gain access to the bus restroom is not okay.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Ed Breakfast wrote:However, forcing women to kiss in order to gain access to the bus restroom is not okay.

Really? Wow, I did not know that. I better clean up my act before they suspend me from playing cocktail piano.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:05 am

I was at the game last night and, among my group, we could barely tell that the band wasn't performing. They piped in "On Wisconsin" and "Varsity". It wasn't perfect but it was fine. The crowd was as still as raucous as always. The lack of the band was a topic of conversation to be sure but there was no massive outcry like there was when they stopped playing "Jump Around". I'd bet a year's salary that Leckrone was expecting the entire stadium to be chanting "we want the band". It didn't happen. Hopefully Leckrone noticed that the main attraction went on just fine without him but somehow I think his ego makes him think that the lack of the band was the difference-maker in the loss.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 am

Bunny Chow wrote:I always liked the marching band

Perhaps the biggest squadron of recognized dorks on campus. When your popular music repertoire is limited to "Swingtown," "Time Warp," "Louie, Louie," and tributes to the British Invasion, you're a second rate lounge act, not a marching band.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:26 am

jjoyce wrote:Perhaps the biggest squadron of recognized dorks on campus. When your popular music repertoire is limited to "Swingtown," "Time Warp," "Louie, Louie," and tributes to the British Invasion, you're a second rate lounge act, not a marching band.

Marching bands are dork squadrons by definition. Do you seriously think it'd be better if they played...well, given the taste of this forum, whatever indie stuff Triple M has on right now (late Sunday night)?

If it's cutting edge musical taste you're after, there's plenty to offer around campus and around town. Faulting the band for playing dorky songs that everyone knows by heart seems silly. Their job is to entertain the crowd, not engage in avant-garde jazz fusion.

And you know perfectly well why they play "Swingtown."
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 am

Several posters on this subject are indicative of the very things that are fucked up about the current society we live in. Making excuses for bad behavior is wrong. Saying that Leckrone and Martin should be fired is ridiculous. Though an extreme comparison, you folks remind me of those types of parents today who, even when confronted with irrefutable evidence of a child's wrongdoing, either go into a state of denial or blame the accuser or, often, the victim.

While it's true that punishing the whole band for the misbehavior of a few (if it was indeed a few) could be seen as an over-reaction, sometimes that it what it takes to get the message across.

That having been said, people should be concerned about the horrible reputation UW has gotten over the past decade by the actions of fans and students. It seems there is at least a letter or two a month in the WSJ from out-of-towners (and some in-towners) who are fed up with the boorish and unacceptable behavior they have seen or been confronted with.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:36 am

AaronTheSnob wrote:or blame the accuser or, often, the victim.

Well, you can't really blame a guy for sexually harassing those marching band chicks when they are wearing those sexy band uniforms. When a chick dresses like that she's just asking for it. Even a dweeb like you can understand that Aaron.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:07 am

harrissimo wrote:
AaronTheSnob wrote:or blame the accuser or, often, the victim.

Well, you can't really blame a guy for sexually harassing those marching band chicks when they are wearing those sexy band uniforms. When a chick dresses like that she's just asking for it. Even a dweeb like you can understand that Aaron.

Dweeb? I'm sure you meant that as a compliment.

Interesting comments you wrote above. You sound like a real jewel of a guy.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 am

Sophia Kitty wrote:
jjoyce wrote:
I also think they should yank Leckrone's annual band concerts from the Kohl Center.

Perhaps you're correct in your assessments.

I think it's time for Leckrone to retire, and Bitty should be doing everything in her power to make that happens.

Would the football coach retire if it was discovered that the whole team was taking gifts from outside contributors?
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:22 am

Depends on whether the contributor was the owner of the Shoe Box or not.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Should have known

Postby erlich » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:47 am

It is hard to believe Lekrone was unaware of what was going on a couple of years ago when the band was given a slap on the wrist for their behavior and put on probation. But, even giving him the benefit of the doubt then, there is no excuse now. Get rid of the band members who caused it, let the remaining band members play home games but cancel any travel games for the rest of the season. And get someone in charge who knows how to manage college students.
erlich

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 am

He has admitted in articles over the past few days that when this has happened in the past (!) it has been only a small group.

I don't understand why this isn't a criminal situation at this point, if there's anything to the allegations.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am

jjoyce wrote:I don't understand why this isn't a criminal situation at this point, if there's anything to the allegations.

I don't know why it wasn't a criminal situation when they first played the opening bars to anything Andrew Lloyd Weber.

Flip comments aside, good riddance. The UW Band may have been a spectacle, but they've never been particularly musical. I think the goal has always been to ensure the band's volume is on a par with the size of Leckrone's ego.

Yeah, I was in marching band once and while our actions never rose to the level of a misdemeanor, we were obnoxious, rude and unruly. We also had the excuse of being 15 years old and youthfully stupid. Some kids get over it. The others join the UW Band, I guess.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby banjovee » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:34 am

Plaza sauce and the UW Marching Band. Both enjoy legendary Madison status. Both are the very definition of nothing special. Not even the alleged hazing acts are very original. Gee. I wonder if they made frosh fetch beer while WEARING THEIR HATS BACKWARDS? Insanity!
banjovee

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music