MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Magnetic Fields show Saturday

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Magnetic Fields show Saturday

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:58 pm

I know this is a longshot with Broken Social Scene and the PSU game, but is anyone interested in two Magnetic Fields tickets for Saturday at Overture? They are really good seats from what I remember.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:05 pm

i might be. how much you asking?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Face value, I have the tickets at home, but from what I remember, they are low Orchestra seats around 30 bucks apiece before charges.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:10 pm

i would normally jump on this, but i just did this same thing last night with the ryan adams show, and i need to see if i've actually got the cash (mortgage is due this week)
if no one else grabs them, i might go for it in a few days...
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Cool, I have a CL post, if I don't get any bites by Thursday or so, I will re-post here. I may even offer a better deal.

In the meantime, you can email me directly if you end up deciding you want them at gagnefication@yahoo.com. I'd prefer to sell them to a foron than a random person (Meowzamusic bought my Forward Fest tickets when I had to go out of town a couple weeks ago).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:17 pm

muchas gracias
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:37 pm

Here's the dilemma:
I sold two of my tickets (friends canceled) and I still have two more. The problem is, the Red Sox won last night and I really want to watch game two tonight. So I will go to the Magnetic Fields show if no one buys them and have a nice time, but I would be willing to sell to anyone who is interested.

These seats are in the front row of the third middle orchestra section two seats to the aisle. In other words, great view, more legroom, and easy access to the bar/restroom. Help a baseball fan out. Face value, call 617-285-4783 or email me see above.

Thanks forons,
-Boston Jeff
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:52 pm

i would totally go, but it would only be one ticket, and i only have ten bucks to my name...
too embarrassed to call with that offer.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:05 am

wound up at the overture with ten bucks in my pocket with which i was able to secure a ninth row orchestra seat. i hope you went jeff and i'm glad i didn't buy the ticket from you, because the show was sublime and it would be a shame if you missed it.
all the songs from distortion sound so much better without the distortion. they should release a remix album.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lovely Bunny » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:25 am

all the songs from distortion sound so much better without the distortion. they should release a remix album.

Agreed. Highlights last night: "Three Way," "Yeah, Oh Yeah," and "All Dressed Up in Dreams."

I saw them in Chicago last time around and they were not as upbeat, banter-wise, though they played just as well if not better than last night.
Lovely Bunny

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Papa was a rodeo. Could not "get rid of my tickets." And I am very glad, considering the outcome of the RS game and 3rd strikes that are called 6 inches off the plate (and Mike Timlin).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:17 pm

I'd been only vaguely aware of Stephin Merritt's legendary crabbiness so his palpable disinterest in singing Papa Was a Rodeo and Book of Love surprised me. But I found it pretty lovable. The grumpy genius archetype is one to which I'm inclined to give a pass.

I lost my breath when they did No One Will Ever Love You. Lovely! Appreciated the lead singer switches, too-- didn't expect Claudia to sing lead on All My Little Words but I really liked it.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:54 am

I misread the little chart I was given that showed where my tickets were located. So we get to the hall, and I show the usher our tickets; "You're right this way," she says, and starts walking.

And walks. And walks.

Turns out we're in the second row, right in front of Stephin Merritt - sitting between Marco Pogo and the Conklins.

I wasn't all that familiar with The Magnetic Fields before the show, but I had a great time. They were fantastic.

"This is a song about...love."

The only song I didn't particularly care for was "Zombie Boy," which was just kind of silly. The whole zombie thing is getting pretty damn played out.

But I loved the Evil Twin song. I'm very pro-Evil Twin.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:35 am

Marvell wrote:Turns out we're in the second row, right in front of Stephin Merritt - sitting between Marco Pogo and the Conklins.

:shock: Must have been right behind my raven-haired self, then. Sorry for coughing between songs; I was pretty proud I held my cold together and showed up at all.

This is why I need to make eye contact more often. I KNOW Forons are out there but it's like one long string of CL Missed Connections.

Picked up Distortion last night and was surprised to find it more accessible than reviews had led me to believe. What I liked best about the acoustic show, I think, is how the sparkling humor of the lyrics shined. Merritt's words are never not wry, but listening to the album doesn't elicit the same giggles that the intimate stripped-down performance did.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music