MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

house/basement shows?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: house/basement shows?

Postby Daniel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Yes as stated earlier, Rich Albertoni pretty much ruined the whole house show thing. Guess there's been a few acoustic show houses that have done stuff recently, but if you want to rock loudly in a house plan on the cops shutting you down. Way to go Rich, with your whole fire starting fears. You weren't even at that Great White show in Rhode Island was it?
Daniel

Postby Stomach » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Rich didn't start the fire, it was always burning, since the worlds been turning.

Acoustic punk shows? Really? I want to hear more about that!
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Stomach wrote:
Acoustic punk shows? Really? I want to hear more about that!

There are numerous acoustic punk acts. Locally, one name that stick to mind was Brat and the different incarnations of Freddie Fagot. Drop Kick Murphys come to mind with more international renown, (although they do also feature electric instruments). The .357 String Band Comes to mind as well, definitely a punk aesthetic involved in their act, musically however they run much closer to bluegrass than folk. Great guys to boot.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:11 pm

The .357's streetgrass is a helluva good thing to see. While they might be playing all stringed instruments, they're definitely amped up. My ears were ringing for at least a day after seeing them close down the King Club last year.

A lot of folk-punk acts do the acoustic route. Early Against Me! comes to mind. Defiance, Ohio is a good example of a current band playing roughly in that style. Also, a couple of singers of several influential bands (Chuck Ragan of Hot Water Music & Tim Barry of Avail) have put out acoustic solo albums that are very good.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm

for more folk punk shit check out plan-it-x records.

and yeah, i do promote a lot of punk shows because i book a lot of punk shows. and i try my hardest to get those i booked in a licensed bar to get write ups in the local papers.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music