MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:32 pm

lil bunny fufu wrote:I'm thinking the UW's going to be MAKING money that night (through venue fees and vending), NOT losing money.

Let's hope so, huh?

For the record, I never referred to this group as "lame." I did, however, call them a hair band whose biggest hit is a note-for-note cover of an unremarkable song. I didn't say that watching them perform, be it on the CMAs or whatever, makes me feel kind of gross, particularly when that lead singer moves the microphone away from his mouth when he really gets to warbling. You know the move. It's like Celine Dion's signature.

If you want to read lame into that, that's you, not me. But as a Badger fan, when I look at uwbadgers.com the day after Mark Johnson was named the Olympic hockey coach and the men's hoops team lost their fifth straight, I expect to see something other than Rascal freakin' Flats.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby foozyerdaddy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:13 am

fukk that...i'm frosting my hair and painting my garage.
foozyerdaddy

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 am

But as a Badger fan, when I look at uwbadgers.com the day after Mark Johnson was named the Olympic hockey coach and the men's hoops team lost their fifth straight, I expect to see something other than Rascal freakin' Flats.

Well yesterday when I went to uwbadgers.com there was a full page congratulations to Mark Johnson that you had to click to even get to the front page of the site. It appears now the lead story is Owen Daniels making the Pro Bowl as an alternate. I think they must change that pretty regularly to highlight different events or stories. So at this point your basically objecting over one lead article that was up for maybe 12 hours. I think there are some of us here who could make that complaint about this site. And I suppose we do from time to time.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:Let's hope so, huh?

Sure.

jjoyce wrote:For the record, I never referred to this group as "lame."

You're right; you referred to them as a"chump band". I was paraphrasing. And not "posting under my 'real' name". Quick - somebody call . . . somebody!

jjoyce wrote:I didn't say that watching them perform, be it on the CMAs or whatever, makes me feel kind of gross, particularly when that lead singer moves the microphone away from his mouth when he really gets to warbling.

You just did.

jjoyce wrote:If you want to read lame into that, that's you, not me.

Yeah, I don't really understand how I got the impression that you thought they were lame. :roll: Way to own your opinions and statements, Jason.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm

foozyerdaddy wrote:fukk that...i'm frosting my hair and painting my garage.

Two birds, one stone. Or paintbrush.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:01 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I think there are some of us here who could make that complaint about this site.

Today on TDP's home page, there is a piece about UW's exceptional women's hockey team and none on Rascal Flatts.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby banjovee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Why UW throws in with chumpy coaches like Bo and Brett is a more urgent question but since we're in music land on this thread...
Rascal Flats turns on Badgers in the same, safe, familiar "rowdy" way the UW Marching Band does, which fills the Kohl Center not once, but three times-per-year.
banjovee

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Why is it that I can win tickets to this atrocity through the Isthmus? Did they run that by joycie?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rev Bob Levy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:51 pm

Seeing joyce say something moronic, get called (and crushed) on it, and then backpeddle like crazy is truly delightful.

Tell me joyce, when Dylan played the Kohl Center in 2000 and 2001 and UW students could get tickets for $20 were they 'dumping tickets'? And when Matchbox 20 and Old 97's played there 6 or 7 years ago for student could get tickets for $15 that was a 'dump' too?

And tell me something else if you don't mind. Ok, so the Kohl Center is a UW owned athletic arena right? Where else would they advertise and sell tickets than uwbadgers.com?

Your snobbery is embarrassing and flat out stupid. You made an ass of yourself assuming people would get your back but your BS was too easy to see through.
Rev Bob Levy

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Why is it that I can win tickets to this atrocity through the Isthmus?

I wonder why the Isthmus is throwing in with a chump band like Rascal Flatts?
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:But as a Badger fan, when I look at uwbadgers.com the day after Mark Johnson was named the Olympic hockey coach and the men's hoops team lost their fifth straight, I expect to see something other than Rascal freakin' Flats.

And the last show I expected to see the latest Isthmus promotions email giving away tickets for said event:

http://www.thedailypage.com/promotions/ ... hp?id=1803

Well not really. I realize if you pay anyone enough money, they will promote your show and give away tickets for it.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rev Bob Levy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:23 pm

banjovee wrote:Why UW throws in with chumpy coaches like Bo and Brett is a more urgent question

This is even more embarrassing than joyce's original post.

Guess back-to-back 30 win seasons in the Big Ten doesn't mean much anymore when you lose 5 straight games for the first time in 25 years. You're a spoiled little prick who is probably too young to remember what went on here before Dick Bennett arrived. That or you jumped on the bandwagon once the program started winning. Either way, you're a total horse's ass.
Rev Bob Levy

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Damn, girlfriend! Somebody is a HUGE R.F. fan!

You're right. I am pretty surprised by this reaction. I thought that far more people would be in the "book the Flatts at the Resch Center in Green Bay, but keep 'em outta the Kohl Center, which is where the hockey team needs to be practicing" camp with me.

And clearly I misjudged the vitriol that would be coming my direction by making a goofy point about a goofy band. Fellas like lil bunny have shown me that, perhaps due to the economy, senses of humor are in short supply.

I hope everyone has a great time at the show. See you at Wando's afterwards.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 pm

JJoyce wrote:BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I WAS JUST KIDDING!!

Kidding!!

That was funny shit, right!?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Kidding . . .

I was just . . .
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:10 pm

jjoyce wrote: "book the Flatts at the Resch Center in Green Bay, but keep 'em outta the Kohl Center, which is where the hockey team needs to be practicing"

btw, the team is in minnesota that weekend...
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music