MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 pm

I can understand that being in a tribute band is all of a sudden cool. But Houses of Motion, a Talking Heads cover band, just put a CD out. Of their covers. And the Isthmus reviewed it. Am I the only one that thinks this is completely fucked up? If you're going to be in a cover band versus a real band, putting out CDs just kind of has to come off the plate. If you're in a tribute band, wouldn't you just want people to like the band you're posing as?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Re: The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Postby LoopBo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Yeah, I suppose that's mildly wack. It could be worse though. They could have reviewed that Cinderella tribute band Gypsy Road.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:36 am

The only time I ever saw Luther's Blues packed was when "The Dave Mathews Cover Band" played (disclaimer: I wasn't attending, my band was playing the French Quarter downstairs). It was fucking weird and creepy.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby saltman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:47 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I can understand that being in a tribute band is all of a sudden cool. But Houses of Motion, a Talking Heads cover band, just put a CD out. Of their covers. And the Isthmus reviewed it. Am I the only one that thinks this is completely fucked up? If you're going to be in a cover band versus a real band, putting out CDs just kind of has to come off the plate. If you're in a tribute band, wouldn't you just want people to like the band you're posing as?

I guess if you want to stay poor, you'd stay in your hero-worshiping tribute band. If you want to actually make a few bucks, you should probably try to move whatever merch will sell.

It is a pretty weak move to review it though, unless there's original content...
saltman
Forum Addict

Postby Qarb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:35 am

Houses in Motion did not (and will not) release a CD -- it was just a review of a song from the Myspace page.
Qarb
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:42 am

Whoops, guess I should have listened to my court-ordered therapist and count to ten before flying off the handle. My bad- I shut down my brain half way through the article.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am

Cover musicians aren't musicians! Not counting jazz, blues, bluegrass etc. musicians who explore those genres' marvelous canons; Jimi Hendrix when he covers Dylan; Willie Nelson when he covers Hoagy Carmichael; the Beatles when they cover the Marvelettes or Anton Karas; Talking Heads when they cover Al Green; and Pale Young Gentlemen when they cover M.I.A. Also, DJs aren't musicians.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 am

Here is the review and mp3 of the Houses in Motion cover of "The Book I Read": http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=25078

And if you like covers, here's one of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" by Pale Young Gentlemen: http://www.thedailypage.com/music/artic ... icle=24825
admin
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Cover musicians aren't musicians! Not counting jazz, blues, bluegrass etc. musicians who explore those genres' marvelous canons; Jimi Hendrix when he covers Dylan; Willie Nelson when he covers Hoagy Carmichael; the Beatles when they cover the Marvelettes or Anton Karas; Talking Heads when they cover Al Green; and Pale Young Gentlemen when they cover M.I.A. Also, DJs aren't musicians.

There's a difference between throwing covers into your set and being a cover band. This seems like worn territory.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:05 am

Hey, it's Friday.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Cover musicians aren't musicians! Not counting jazz, blues, bluegrass etc. musicians who explore those genres' marvelous canons; Jimi Hendrix when he covers Dylan; Willie Nelson when he covers Hoagy Carmichael; the Beatles when they cover the Marvelettes or Anton Karas; Talking Heads when they cover Al Green; and Pale Young Gentlemen when they cover M.I.A. Also, DJs aren't musicians.

There's a difference between throwing covers into your set and being a cover band. This seems like worn territory.
Weak sauce. Seconded. Like someone going to art school to learn how to repaint the Mona Lisa. Add something instead of imitating. It seems like tribute bands are becoming more common, but maybe that's an indication rock and roll is becoming a cul de sac.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 am

best thread of the year so far!
You know you've hit a nerve when the Isthmus staff goes into full on defense mode.

Mssr. Burns, that had to be the most absurd thing I think you've ever written, at least that I've read. Very dramatic!
Now that I know you feel that way I look forward to your article on how the work of greats like by D. Williams, J. Roland & Hoyt Curtin on the theme for "Josie and the Pussycats" is on par with Billie Holiday's interpretation of Lewis Allan's "Strange Fruit" when you profile The Outtatoons*.

I think your new tag line should be,
"Fuck you, it's all part of the canon!"

The PYG covering MIA would be relevant to this thread if PYG were a MIA cover band. Last I checked, they are not.

*just for the record cartoon cover band musicians are *real* musicians and deserve your respect as well!
:mrgreen:
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 am

What's funny about this is that essentially b/c of the formatting on this sites templates - this yackin' about a cover band and one of it's songs was misconstrued as a record review.
There's nothing wrong with writing about a cover band, but when it LOOKS like they/you/he/she/it are writing about an original band in it's record/track review format - folks start making associations that aren't really there. - and red flags go up.

Change up the template/formatting and call it good.
or bad or whatever. I think folks already debated whether the Talking Heads suck or not into the ground.

yup it's friday
and slow.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 am

I would argue that there's a continuum between all-original and all-cover bands, and that real musicians play and appreciate other people's songs.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I would argue that there's a continuum between all-original and all-cover bands, and that real musicians play and appreciate other people's songs.
So by that logic someone fiercely beholden to playing only music they create is not a real musician? That's a dumb theory.

I would say both are musicians, but I am only interested in the ones that are creative. I don't even have interest in seeing tribute bands when they are staffed by personal friends of mine.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music