MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Light Drizzle
Collapse Photo Bar

The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:So by that logic someone fiercely beholden to playing only music they create is not a real musician?

Is there such a person? Won't even play other people's music for fun, or in rehearsal, or around the campfire?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:24 pm

I used to be a snooty originals-only purist, but I've wised up. The historical evidence shows that a lot of my favorite bands recorded tons of covers, many of which were recorded within monthes of the original version's release.

Plus the fact that all the songs I write sound like bad funk prog. Noboby, not even me, wants to hear that.

And the (Formerly) The OuttaToons recordings are really coming together nicely thank you. All your b****** are now belong to us.
Last edited by supaunknown on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:45 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:I am only interested in the ones that are creative.

Please correct me if I'm misrepresenting your view, but are you saying that you think only original music is creative and only creative music is good? 'Cuz if that is what you're saying: Gimme a break. There are at least as many ways to cover a song as there are ways to write new ones. And I'll take a gazillion scrappy garage bands armed with the same three chords over some avant-garde prog-rock bullshit any day, no matter how much more original the latter is than the former.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:11 pm

If this isn't Steve Allen, you stole my act!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Qarb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:I am only interested in the ones that are creative.

If it makes you feel any better, the Houses in Motion guys play in original ("creative") bands as well.
Qarb
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:19 pm

So then and broadly speaking, if it's wrong to release an album of covers, is it also wrong to release a biopic? Or is it just wrong to remake a movie?

Should they stop at the "tribute play" level?

Say what?
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:47 pm

If a cover band is just giving the discs away that's OK, but if they want to charge anything for the album they're supposed to pay whoever owns the rights to the songs the arranged fee associated with each song. Some bands dodge this by using the "join our fan club and the disc is free" ploy.

It irks me up when I'm on vaca in Dorko and see some Americana-ish cover band's homemade CD on sale in a bar or coffeeshop for like $17. I always make a point to check the back for song titles and whether or not they've given proper credit. I haven't seen a legal example yet. Whatever. Fuck Don Mclean anyways.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 pm

As a general rule, biopics max out as 2-1/2 star movies.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:55 pm

How about the Madison Symphony Orchestra. When are those fuckers gonna write some originals??!!
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Cover musicians aren't musicians! Not counting jazz, blues, bluegrass etc. musicians who explore those genres' marvelous canons; Jimi Hendrix when he covers Dylan; Willie Nelson when he covers Hoagy Carmichael; the Beatles when they cover the Marvelettes or Anton Karas; Talking Heads when they cover Al Green; and Pale Young Gentlemen when they cover M.I.A. Also, DJs aren't musicians.

So I guess as far as you're concerned, classical musicians aren't musicians?

Nice of you to exclude those of us who play "jazz, blues, bluegrass, etc." from your condemnation.

I call player-hating! Most of the so-called musicians that I've heard, who cop the attitude that you're copping can't play their way out of a wet paper bag with a chainsaw. Before you go putting words in my mouth, there are a lot of great musicians out there that play original music, but they generally don't cop the attitude that you're copping. Then there are all the people who play "original songs" because they don't have the skill or talent to figure out how to play anything else. I've also known some brilliant songwriters who can't play for shit.

Playing an instrument and writing songs are two very different things. Then there's writing arrangements...
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:04 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:So then and broadly speaking, if it's wrong to release an album of covers, is it also wrong to release a biopic? Or is it just wrong to remake a movie?

Should they stop at the "tribute play" level?

Say what?

If we apply the same "logic" to movies, actors who don't write their own scripts aren't real actors!
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:54 am

there are many gifted song writers who cannot sing well or play well themselves.

there are many gifted singers and musicians who cannot write their own material well.

to pressure one group or the other to do something they're not good at does not satisfy a listener.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:42 am

Vinnie P wrote:Then there are all the people who play "original songs" because they don't have the skill or talent to figure out how to play anything else.

Hey, I resemble that remark. :shock:
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:57 am

Vinnie P wrote:So I guess as far as you're concerned, classical musicians aren't musicians?

Nice of you to exclude those of us who play "jazz, blues, bluegrass, etc." from your condemnation.

I call player-hating! Most of the so-called musicians that I've heard, who cop the attitude that you're copping can't play their way out of a wet paper bag with a chainsaw. Before you go putting words in my mouth, there are a lot of great musicians out there that play original music, but they generally don't cop the attitude that you're copping. Then there are all the people who play "original songs" because they don't have the skill or talent to figure out how to play anything else. I've also known some brilliant songwriters who can't play for shit.

Playing an instrument and writing songs are two very different things. Then there's writing arrangements...

I agree with you completely. I was employing irony in that post.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:55 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:
Vinnie P wrote:So I guess as far as you're concerned, classical musicians aren't musicians?

I agree with you completely. I was employing irony in that post.

So the Isthmus can lay off its writers, but somehow find the capital to employ irony?
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music