MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, October 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Isthmus is now reviewing CDs by cover bands...

Postby gds » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:47 pm

jjoyce wrote:If this isn't Steve Allen, you stole my act!

Nice krusty quote. unoriginal and non-creative, but nice. :lol:
gds

Postby zonker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:25 pm

I've been playing in bands in Madison since 1988 and continue to today but I never made any money or generated any sort of a buzz until I joined a tribute band. Believe me I'd much rather be playing my own music to a packed and appreciative house, unfortunately most people don't give a damn about original music, they'd rather hear something familiar. And it's not because I haven't tried hard enough and my bands haven't sucked (at least not since 1990 or so).
It is kind of annoying that Isthmus would review a song by a tribute band when they never reviewed anything off our cd (of original material) even though we gave them a copy. Hell, I'd rather have a bad review than be ignored.
Scott at the Onion has had many nice things to say about our cd. He even went out and bought a copy.
zonker

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 pm

What is your band?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:05 pm

zonker wrote:unfortunately most people don't give a damn about original music, they'd rather hear something familiar. And it's not because I haven't tried hard enough and my bands haven't sucked (at least not since 1990 or so).
It is kind of annoying that Isthmus would review a song by a tribute band when they never reviewed anything off our cd (of original material) even though we gave them a copy. Hell, I'd rather have a bad review than be ignored.
Scott at the Onion has had many nice things to say about our cd. He even went out and bought a copy.

Some people give a damn about original music, but a lot more seem to like the familar stuff. My band prides itself on our originals, but depending on the show & the crowd will throw in plenty of covers to try and spark an interest and get people dancing. And truth be told, one of our biggest drawing & paying High Noon shows was a Tribute to the Beatles - on a sunday eve nonetheless.

I agree with you to a point about Isthmus reviewing cover bands and why they are not covering "original" bands, but Houses in Motion draws pretty big crowds and seem worthy of press in the local publications. Certainly not the first time I've seen an article about them.

Just because you sent your CD to a publication for review does not always mean that much. For my band's last CD released, we received reviews in Isthmus, Max Ink, a mention in Rhythm/Cap Times, but nothing in the Onion - and I felt I kind of "knew" the guy through many other email convos regarding a venue I used to book for and he would write about those shows.

Getting reviews usually has more to do with who you know and what kind of stuff the staff are interested in writing about. Start drawing crowds like HIM is and would almost guarentee people will start talking about your band and eventually get some write-ups.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zonker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm in Cement Pond and Shakey. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine that Houses in Motion got a review, they are a fine band. I just think there are some great local bands who go unnoticed. And it's not necessarily because they aren't good enough or don't try hard enough.
zonker

Postby DrAwkward » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote:I am only interested in the ones that are creative.

Please correct me if I'm misrepresenting your view, but are you saying that you think only original music is creative and only creative music is good? 'Cuz if that is what you're saying: Gimme a break.

Yes. The man who put out a CD and LP of my band and another band playing five cover songs each is completely against covers.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:03 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote:I am only interested in the ones that are creative.

Please correct me if I'm misrepresenting your view, but are you saying that you think only original music is creative and only creative music is good? 'Cuz if that is what you're saying: Gimme a break.

Yes. The man who put out a CD and LP of my band and another band playing five cover songs each is completely against covers.

Oh somebody sinks a bunch of money putting out your sole 12” and you use it to be a facetious biter on the internet? I see how you are. I am kind of hurt you did not bring up the double disc Killdozer tribute Crustacean put out and HiFi recorded a song for as more evidence.

But in any case you damn well know the difference between a band like your that is mainly known for its original music compared to some tribute or bar cover band. If that was what you did with music I would not pay any attention to it and generally classify you as a tool. So let me ask you why do you focus on playing original music that due to its discordant nature can never achieve a wide audience for no money instead of playing Loverboy and Poison covers for crowds of Philistines for good money every weekend in hick bars? You have more than adequate musical chops and actually like some of that shitty hair metal. Go make some money and teach me a lesson, DJ!

While I have no attention span or respect for straight up cover and tribute bands, I do enjoy the occasional cover by original bands that I am into. And yes, I certainly must concede to Wagstaff that interesting reworkings of original songs can be quite creative and engaging. The quintessential one in my book is Hendrix’s amazing interpretation and improvement on “All Along the Watchtower”. Jimi rebuilt that song from the ground up and it is just stunning.

Shipley wrote:there are many gifted song writers who cannot sing well or play well themselves.

there are many gifted singers and musicians who cannot write their own material well.

to pressure one group or the other to do something they're not good at does not satisfy a listener.

Well if you are a musician with chops, but can’t write songs or at least not good ones, you have to seek to team up with a good songwriter(s). Without good songs you don’t have shit. I guess I am not from a time and place where songwriters do not perform their songs so I just can’t comprehend that permutation. I’m from the punk rock scene, not Tin Pan Alley.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:44 pm

zonker wrote: I just think there are some great local bands who go unnoticed. And it's not necessarily because they aren't good enough or don't try hard enough.

Yes, and it's a shame that will always be true.
I'm not going to bash the Isthmus for their lack or choice of coverage like I have in the past.
Having seen more than a few zines and music papers open and close since I got here in '93 and considering the economics of publishing a paper these days I think we should be thankful for what we have.
We all know that the Isthmus has certainly made an effort in the past to help the scene and to highlight a variety of artist and venues. The cover article on The Frequency shows they are still trying and that's something to appreciate.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:44 am

Jake--

Sorry my sarcasm didn't come out as focused in type as i thought it would. I was making a snide remark regarding Wagstaff's allegation that you're 100% anti-cover. None of that snark was directed at ou, my friend.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 am

DrAwkward wrote: I was making a snide remark regarding Wagstaff's allegation that you're 100% anti-cover.

For the record, I clearly said in the post which you responded to that I wished to be corrected if I was misrepresenting charlie's view. So while I appreciate the correction/information, the snark wasn't really justified. Unless, of course, you just like being snarky to me, which is fine -- I do enjoy some well-played snark.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:58 am

Recently, Isthmus/TDP has:

- Continued a series of interviews with local hip-hop DJs and MCs

- Reviewed local CDs from Pupy Costello, Amy Curl/Dan Kennedy, Courtney Collins, Harmonious Wail

- Investigated the skirmish at the Brink, interviewing people and performers who were there who have a stake in the fallout.

- Taken a look at WSUM in its new studio space.

- Reviewed performances by the MSO, Ancora Quartet

- Discussed the WCO musician strike and the union vote at MSO

- Talked to Zola Jesus

- Recalled the Imitations

- Interviewed Awesome Car Funmaker on the eve of its final show

- Included music from local bands in our online presentation of Book of Love photos

- Wrote about a new song from Houses in Motion, one of the city's best and most respected tribute bands
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:10 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:While I have no attention span or respect for straight up cover and tribute bands

I was at Scatz in Middleton for a friend's party a couple weekends ago and there was an all-girl all-cover band playing called Cat Fight I believe. They managed to hold my attention for a while, through a Katy Perry cover no less.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music