MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Help save MATC's Mitby Theater

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Help save MATC's Mitby Theater

Postby rek » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:23 am

MATC is planning on demolishing the Mitby theater to make room for a flashy, glass atrium welcome center. The Wisconsin State Journal has carried articles about this the past 2 days and I have a post about it on my site. Due to pressure from the community the MATC board is now at least checking on other alternatives. Keep the pressure on: read about it and then make sure to sign the petition.

Madison Jazz
rek

Re: Help save MATC's Mitby Theater

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:58 am

how about a swap for the overture center?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 am

I hope they reconsider this. I like the Mitby. It's a relaxing space, good sound, plenty of room to come and go, and a non-theatrical feel to it (this is a good thing to me, I don't like stuffiness). The only other theater in Madison with the same nice feel is the Union theater, which is of course more formal. And the Union theater seating is crammed too tight for my taste.

Mitby seems to get quite a bit of use, and that side of town has nothing else in the way of public halls or theaters. I think tearing it down would be a loss. Maybe the new MATC plans could feature a better lobby for the Mitby, instead of destroying it.

I have seen some of the earlier plans for renovating the west end of MATC, and I support the general idea. Having the place look less like your average high school would be good now that the student demographic is a bit older, and tastes have changed since the 80s when the campus was built. But we like Mitby.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:04 am

i saw sturgis at the mitby man...i think i'm too drunk for the internet. fukk it.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:48 am

Mitby is a wonderful theater. Is that little corner of real estate really so valuable that is necessary to demolish a perfectly serviceable facility? As Marvin Gaye would say, What's Goin on?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music