MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Deleted thread

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Deleted thread

Postby admin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:51 am

A thread has just been deleted and, to make things clear, here's why. It wasn't because it specifically named an individual and questioned his professionalism. It's because it came very close to threatening violence.
admin
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Re: Deleted thread

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00 am

Seems to me the original thread from a few years back on the same topic came much much closer to threatening violence but it still exists.
No worries though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7800
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Deleted thread

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:46 am

This is neither science nor a court room. You're probably right, but it's still gone and the site is better off.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am

But you know what IS? Science Court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_Court
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:42 pm

When you attack somebody by name, that information comes-up in google searches for the rest of their life. This is serious, dirty business, it can amount to a permanent, unremovable blacklist. Whether it is legal or not, its unfair to allow such damage without restraint or justice.

ISTHMUS should not tolerate this behavior in their forum. It doesn't matter if somebody claims it is justified in some particular incident, the accusor will ALWAYS claim this is the case.

Attacking somebody by name from an anonymous internet handle is cowardly and unethical.

admin wrote: It wasn't because it specifically named an individual and questioned his professionalism.


We all have professions. This opens a window to smear anyone's character based on their "professionalism."

Would you mind telling me your real name, admin? I wish to make some comments about your professionalism that will be with you for the rest of your life.
Last edited by Huckleby on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6574
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Deleted thread

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 pm

When you attack somebody's by name, that information comes-up in google searches for the rest of their life. This is serious, dirty business. Whether it is legal or not, its unfair to allow such damage without restraint or justice.

ISTHMUS Should not tolerate this behavior in their forum. It doesn't matter if somebody claims it is justified in some particular incident, the accusor will ALWAYS claim this is the case.

Attacking somebody by name from an anonymous internet handle is cowardly and unethical.

admin wrote: It wasn't because it specifically named an individual and questioned his professionalism.



We all have professions. This opens a window to smear anyone's character based on their "professionalism."


Aww. I thought we had found some common ground Huckster. Guess that went bye bye with the original thread. BTW I provided my real name the minute it was asked for. We all have professions but a lot of us work for a business and don't own our own (although not legally incorporated in this case).

I'm fine with all this let it die. My intent to bring attention to it has been accomplished.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7800
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:57 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Aww. I thought we had found some common ground Huckster.


I see how you viewed it, as commenting on a business service. I accept that is your frame of mind.
But it is a slippery slope when you use somebody's name, as I say, we are all professionals in some sense. I disagree with your choice.

fisticuffs wrote:BTW I provided my real name the minute it was asked for. .


I think that is a bad idea. Somebody on this forum started the rumor that it is more honest to identify your real name, or some similar argument. Naive. Unfortunately, the internet is a cess pool of mischievous and unethical people, and it is best to stay unanonymous.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6574
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Deleted thread

Postby rrnate » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Huckleby wrote:Unfortunately, the internet is a cess pool of mischievous and unethical people, and it is best to stay unanonymous.


Agreed. Unanonymity is the one true way.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:34 pm

so we're unanimous on unanonymous?

Of course the best way to keep a good repuation is to not do shit to tarnish it. Don't want to be known as a thief? Don't steal! People certainly slammed me as a nerd here, but drop zac shipley into google and you get lots of proof of that between my blog, my writing, and various videos.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Re: Deleted thread

Postby supaunknown » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Forget internet slammery, let's chop the dude's arm off!
Please Isthmus lawyers, I'm KIDDING.
Burn him at the steakhouse.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5577
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 pm

admin wrote:A thread has just been deleted and, to make things clear, here's why. It wasn't because it specifically named an individual and questioned his professionalism. It's because it came very close to threatening violence.


Uh huh. I must have missed that. :roll: I left that thread right around dinner time last night and the only threat of violence I saw was that fisticuff's real name is the same as a mass murderers.

I think you are doing TGOB a favor by getting rid of it and don't blame you a bit.
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:25 am
Location: Dane County

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:13 pm

rrnate wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Unfortunately, the internet is a cess pool of mischievous and unethical people, and it is best to stay unanonymous.


Agreed. Unanonymity is the one true way.



ZING! burned by a spelling error, good catch, Matlock.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6574
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Deleted thread

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:28 pm

I appreciate the admin's frankness about how the matter was dealt with despite the fact I didn't think the thread in question was that out of hand.

There are a number of people who I have collaborated on projects that I would not want to work with again but I would not trash publicly. However there are certain individuals that people in the music scene need to warn others about and it is one potential valid use of this here internet. People who are outliers on their superpowers of dishonesty and general shysterness or stunning incompetence.

In keeping the spirit of the deleted thread I would like to therefore call out local sound company Ghost Sound. I had the misfortune of working with them at the Orpheum Stage Door in September. They almost wrecked what prin neer was the best punk rock show in Madison in 2008 ft. Dead End Rejects, Chinese Telephones, Things Fall Apart, Brutal Knights, Star Fucking Hipsters, Scared of Chaka and Dillinger Four. Even the blogosphere was buzzing about it. The blogosphere for gods sake!

So I might as well talk about it further. Anyway seriously don't hire these people. You could get better sound at a lower price by stealing some monkeys from Vilas Zoo and putting them in a room with a few tin cans, some string and whiskey.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:47 am
Location: Mipples (west bank)

Re: Deleted thread

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:39 am

charliedon'tsurf wrote:You could get better sound at a lower price by stealing some monkeys from Vilas Zoo and putting them in a room with a few tin cans, some string and whiskey.


Well, that depends on what kind of whiskey it is.

I'm thinking something on the George Dickel level should do it. You don't want to be wasting your single malt on some string-addled monkeys.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: Deleted thread

Postby dave esmond » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 am

Drunk monkeys.

Give 'em cigarettes and tuxes too and I'll watch for hours.



Good god did I post that under my real name?

Yep,

And meant it too.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:15 pm

Next

Return to Madison Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar