MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

SCATZ failing badly

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: SCATZ failing badly

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:00 pm

It's unfortunate that it's come to the point where Middleton has to dump on this club. This sounds like a shitty situation for SCATZ. Hopefully their business won't go down the crapper and maybe the hotel owners and guests will stop being so anal retentive when it comes to a little noise.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:09 pm

Average Joe wrote:It's unfortunate that it's come to the point where Middleton has to dump on this club. This sounds like a shitty situation for SCATZ. Hopefully their business won't go down the crapper and maybe the hotel owners and guests will stop being so anal retentive when it comes to a little noise.

Win.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 am

The hotel has already refunded thousands of dollars to guests who couldn't sleep because of the din. That doesn't sound like a little noise to me.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:58 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The hotel has already refunded thousands of dollars to guests who couldn't sleep because of the din. That doesn't sound like a little noise to me.

Depends on the eye (or ear) of the beholder. I'm not here to defend Scatz, but there are people out there that just don't like the idea of hearing music and I could see the people in the hotel with their windows open calling because they hear the slightest sound coming from the place. Hotel management might even encourage it because they know if enough calls are made to the place it will eventually be shut down.

I was involved with live music at the Grid Iron on Monroe St. many years ago and there was 1 neighbor in the back alley that would call the cops every time there was a band playing. You could be in the alley and the sound was no louder than a stereo - just a faint rumble, but that one neighbor's persistance helped get live music shut down at that venue.

What the management at Scatz needs to do is invest in a decibel meter and find out what the legal acceptable noise level is in for that area. If necessary, sound proof their club so at full volume they are within the acceptable range. Then if/when the hotel calls the cops for noise, the Scatz manager can come out to the parking lot with the decibel meter and prove they are not breaking any law.

Another thing that might help is not to call the cops every time they catch someone with a fake ID. Hire bouncers capable of keeping the place under control (i.e. able to break up fights, kick out the people causing trouble, patrol the parking lot regularly).

Do all that and you won't have very many police calls at all.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rokker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 pm

there are like 15 rooms of the hotel that are affected.

we have the Last Crack show at Scatz on 11/14 and don't anticipate any problems. we have a ton of people coming in from out of town, and we have a discount at the Marriot Courtyard (the affected hotel) and we told them to put all of our people in the affected rooms that night. the hotel is now sold out for that night.

maybe we should split the fine money the bar would have paid that night! jk lol
rokker
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music