MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Spruce Tree Music rave

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Spruce Tree Music rave

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Picked up a Walden D600 Natura series today at Spruce Tree.

Even though they knew I wasn't going to spend a lot of money, I got first class service. Set me up with a few different models, went over them, left me alone to play them, checked the set up on the one I bought, and went over some care and feeding basics.

No up sell pressure, no irritation at the entry level line buyer.

If you're looking for an acoustic guitar and you want the opposite of the GC experience, shop Spruce Tree.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Spruce Tree Music rave

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:41 pm

W: Are you learning how to play?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Great choice. Waldens a hell of a lot if guitar for the money.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 pm

I started to learn about 3 years ago. One of these days I will become not crappy and just be mediocre.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 pm

I've always had stellar service at Sprucetree and as a result, I've dropped a lot of coin there between instruments and set-ups.

Some seem to find Will (the owner) to be a bit ... er ... bristly, but I've always found him to be a straight-up cat. I bought a used electric (6-string) and a used amp there and both times when I asked if the price was firm, he knocked a chunk off without flinching. And, to be honest, his prices on used stuff are generally pretty reasonable to begin with.

Now get practicing, Walter. I, for one, can't wait to hear your particular take on the Cop Rock theme.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 pm

That place is a gem.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lynne » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:46 pm

They're wonderful. When I was fairly new to town I stopped in looking for a new cello bow. They let me see, and touch, the only one they had in stock (which was, if I recall correctly, somewhere in the $600 range), and then they were extremely helpful in pointing me in the right direction for where I might find one I could actually afford.
Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:40 am

The only thing I have found bristly about Wil was his beard. The couple of times I've been in there, everybody was great.

He helped me yesterday and several months ago when I had work done on an old Epiphone Caballero FT-30.

I've already started saving up for a nice Guild due to my great experiences there. Maybe in a couple of years my ability will warrant the purchase!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:07 am

I keep threatening to learn to play and have shopped around at various places for something to start on. Many have told me to start used, but I admit I have no idea what to look for or where to even begin. Maybe staggering in there would be a good idea. I always kind of assumed it was for heavyweights.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:31 am

The dog is nice, too.

He wags his tail when you pet him.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 am

Spruce Tree rocks. It's the only place I purchase my bass strings. I also had a re-fret done on a 74 jazz bass there back in the mid 90s. Great work.

Will always seems friendly enough when I go in there. They also, on occasion, have decent deals on used solid body guitars and basses.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:26 am

jjoyce wrote:I keep threatening to learn to play and have shopped around at various places for something to start on. Many have told me to start used, but I admit I have no idea what to look for or where to even begin. Maybe staggering in there would be a good idea. I always kind of assumed it was for heavyweights.

Check it out on a weekday if you can, it can get crowded in there on a Saturday. You'll probably get more attention and advice then as well. I think they still carry some used stuff but I haven't looked at their instruments for awhile since I can't play them anyway. Curse of the southpaw.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby dave esmond » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:32 am

I've never been bothered by Will's style. In fact I like it. I find him very knowledgeable, friendly and willing to share what he knows with me. What more can you ask for?

They've always been more then generous with me as far as letting me play anything in the shop. They're been great at steering me in the right direction more then once.

I do have to say I've also had good luck over at Madison Music and Lanes for acoustic guitars too.

Walter - Sometime go in there and have 'em show you a few 12 fret guitars. They're a whole different thing then 14 fret ones. If Will hadn't made me play one I never would have known how much I love 'em.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hey hombre » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:47 pm

100% of the acoustic guitars I have owned were purchased at The Spruce Tree. They've warmed up to me over the years; probably cuz of all the strings I buy there :lol:
hey hombre
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:Many have told me to start used, but I admit I have no idea what to look for or where to even begin. Maybe staggering in there would be a good idea.

If you're looking for an acoustic, buying used can be a venture full of pitfalls simply because acoustic instruments are far more likely to be negatively affected by environmental factors. Thus, if a guitar has sat in an especially wet or dry environment, it can have some serious flaws that are not always obvious to the untrained eye. (This is less a problem with electrics because the wood is beefier and there's not as much glue involved in holding the things together).

I went to Spruce Tree with a friend recently who was looking for a starter guitar. He was basically as beginner as beginner gets, but Will treated him totally fairly, starting by showing him the lowest priced guitar in the shop, which was a nice piece at a very reasonable price. No up-sell, no bullshit, no attitude (and as a result, my friend shelled out for a mid-price model. He also routinely tells buyers to bring new acoustics back after they've had a few months to settle, at which time he'll evaluate the setup and make any adjustments necessary at no charge. Trying getting that kind of service at Guitard Center. Frankly, judging from the state of some of the guitars on the GC wall, I wouldn't let them setup one of my instruments if those troglodytes were the only option in town.

I always kind of assumed it was for heavyweights.

Well, today's beginner may well be tomorrow's heavyweight, and I suspect Will understands that if he gives you a fair shake, you may well return to his shop when you're ready to drop a grand or more on something really sweet. It's hard to find shops in this day and age that understand this basic tenet of customer service, but nice to know at least one still exists.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music