MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

best open mic ?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: best open mic ?

Postby spacetiki » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:45 pm

muddyleadwater wrote:hey hombres identity has been revealed... not all of are in bands and depend on the open mics

For what?
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby muddyleadwater » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:37 pm

performing
muddyleadwater

Postby lonesomejohnny » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 pm

I don't think Hey Hombre was speaking against open mics, being a frequent Open mic performer himself. Glad you are aware of his identity, though!

I go to Mickeys, it's fun there. I'm reminded of the time I was playing and someone seated at the bar said to their stool-neighbor, "Actually, this is a really good song." Better than the time I was stumbling through some song and someone way at the back of the bar shouted, "CUT YOUR LOSSES!" I agreed.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am

Well I read the post and I'm not saying that the Mercury Lounge on Monday nights starting at 7pm is the best open mic.

But I am saying if you have nothing to do on a Monday and would like to watch me or Chris Skinner perform and also perform a little yourself come to 117 East Mifflin.

But of coarse it's a bar.

However it's really more of a restaurant bar and it has some pretty good food.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juniorredwood » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:31 am

Saw Art at Union last week and was awed. I play a country parody (of country life-original songs) and have had some problems at the union with those who are easily offended. Is their an open mic that will accept the fact that I am poking fun at country life,not advocating for it?

I would play more if I knew more about them. Is there a good list somewhere? I went to one on Friday on Johnson street (i think) and the door was open and place was empty.

Until I can wrangle a gig open mic is the only place where I can let strangers hear my songs. Open mics are great and you can't do much about people who are bad or annoying other than limit them by time. I think those who rudely interrupt me while I am playing would agree, especially when my time is up.
juniorredwood

Postby artpaul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Another one that I don't host that I kind of like is at The Brocach at 8:30 on tuesday nights.

They give you a free drink for performing.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music