MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Recomendations

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Recomendations

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

dave esmond wrote:
McSwain wrote:Not sure how tha would translate today, at almost 40, its hard to go to a bar to see a band of kids and not look like the bass players Dad in the crowd.

...Madison is a great place for more mature music lovers. There's always a bunch of us in the crowd who are pushing 40, or like me watching 40 fade into the past.

Midwest Beat tonight, The Hemlines or KnuckelDrager or USoT tomorrow are good places to start.

So true. Don't worry about looking like Dad, around here it's cool to be the far out old man in the crowd. At least that's what I keep telling myself, anyway. Sometimes I even wear a uniform to shows and nobody says a word.

The coolest old guy at any show is local legend Marco Pogo...you will know him when you see him!

Tonight's Midwest Beat v Selfish Gene is a must-see winner-take-all Strap Match. I would like to hit more than one of the shows tomorrow but work won't allow it.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Walter wrote:Don't worry about looking like Dad, around here it's cool to be the far out old man in the crowd. At least that's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

You've got that youthful glow tho' Walter.

The coolest old guy at any show is local legend Marco Pogo...you will know him when you see him!

Yes!

Marco has been a sure sign of quality music since I've been going to shows. If you see him in the crowd, and if he's into it you can't miss him, you know it's gonna be a good show. Man has great taste in music. The shorts can be a wee bit scarring tho'.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 pm

But that tan-line...oh, Daddy!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Walter wrote:The coolest old guy at any show is local legend Marco Pogo...you will know him when you see him!

Good to hear he's still around. I first saw him living up to his name well over 30 years ago. I think it might have been a Bryan Lee show. He must be around my age... I start collecting Social Security next April.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Walter wrote:I would like to hit more than one of the shows tomorrow but work won't allow it.

Couldn't one of the bands ... oh I dunno ... create a minor civil disturbance that might merit your attention? I know from extensive experience that the fine rockin' women of The Hemlines can get a little raucous given the appropriate beverages (did someone say Sparks?).

Just a thought.

Heh.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

That's always a possibility with a raucous rock-and-roll group playing Devil-inspired jungle rhythms in a hot, sweaty close environment, with the audience, youth at the mercy of hormones, under the influence of strong drink, fueled by a driving beat designed to corrupt the youth of our nation played by reprobates of low moral character who exhibit a caution-to-the-wind attitude towards responsibility and proper behavior in polite society.

But the real reason I can't pop in is the venue is a bit far afield from my beat. I'm still trying to figure out if I can stop at any show tomorrow, Friday usually being so busy and all.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Walter wrote:The coolest old guy at any show is local legend Marco Pogo...you will know him when you see him!

Good to hear he's still around. I first saw him living up to his name well over 30 years ago. I think it might have been a Bryan Lee show. He must be around my age... I start collecting Social Security next April.

We were at High Noon for the Mountain Goats. I told tales of Okayz and Pogo. I mentioned I had not seen him since then, when my friend said, "Is that him?"
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:I know from extensive experience that the fine rockin' women of The Hemlines can get a little raucous given the appropriate beverages (did someone say Sparks?).

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:40 am

Don't go see Unibummer.

God those guys suck.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music