MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Advice on starting a band?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Advice on starting a band?

Postby john_titor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Let's just say I am old. My mid-life crisis involves neither a corvette nor a pony-tail. I want to start a band.

I want it to be tight and and I want to play covers. I don't care if I ever play an original tune. I don't care if I ever play in front of an audience.

With that being said, part of my crisis involves me being the singer.

What works with a band? Are there a million singers in search of a band? Is it better to try find members in your neighborhood? I imagine it is infinitely easier for me to d/l lyrics to a song vs expecting the guitar player to learn the song. Does that suck? Is it hard to find people with similar musical tastes? Do you advertise on Craig's list for members? Should you try and find band-mates your own age? I think it would be fun as hell to play with some young kids. Would an old guy creep them out? How much would a mic and PA cost? Where to find a used? Is it hard to get together to practice? How did your band get together?

cheers m8s,

j_t
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Advice on starting a band?

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:36 pm

What do you play? I know a drummer and a singer...
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 am

depends.
no.
yes.
doesn't matter.
absolutely, this is the primary problem you face.
sure but plan to filter 3/4ths of the stuff you get back.
it would be better but chances are this won't be possible.
only one way to find out. (i have that exposure at my workplace and it's not that big a deal one way or the other.)
a lot but there are options. (i am hoping to experiment with unamplified practices (with a relatively sophisticated mixer setup and want to see if that makes the next answer even more "no.")
no.
i haven't yet.

(http://www.bandmix.com/rnberigan/)
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 am

I've run and responded to craigslist ads for a bout a year trying to start a project. It's been a pretty awful pointless experience. Now I've just shuffled around guys I was already playing with into a new thing. That might be the way to go. Musicians can be pretty flaky. Getting a group of 4 or 5 of them to learn the same tunes and show up on time or at all is probably the biggest headache. Even with guys I've been playing with for years its sometimes a struggle. But at the end of the day its worth it. Start jamming with some people you know. One other person is better than none and add in people as you meet them organically.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

There are different ways to start bands. One is by osmosis. A group of friends gets together to play and sing for fun in the living room, very possibly over cocktails, and a project emerges. Another way is to plan: I'd like to have this kind of band and play these kinds of shows at these kinds of venues, so what musicians should I get in touch with?

I've been involved with both kinds of projects. For sheer artistic satisfaction osmosis can be the preferred route, but it's hard to make happen since, by these definitions at least, it can't be planned. So sometimes it comes down to planning, and what's good about planned projects is that they tend to be grounded in professionalism, as opposed to friendship, and are thereby somewhat less vulnerable to drama.

What you're describing combines parts of both, I think. It sounds as if you'd like mainly to play for joy, as opposed to gigs. That's a good reason to make music, and sometimes osmosis projects indeed don't make it out of the living room. But what I'm hearing is that you believe some amount of planning and organizing is going to be necessary to make this happen -- i.e., maybe you don't have a group of friends ready to get together and jam.

But maybe you do? Before you get to the buying-a-P.A. stage, how about you contact friends, coworkers, etc. who you know are musicians, ask them to bring their banjos and djembes over some Saturday afternoon, and see what happens?
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:42 am

For what it's worth, I've had some experience using ads to put together projects or fill specific needs. I can't say it's ever gone well for me. Networking approaches are better.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Man, I was on this thread earlier today writing a note of encouragement to John when all of a sudden a pop-up virus/horse/worm completely took over my work computer! The only things open at the time were this thread (via IE) and Microsoft Outlook (work email). Had to call in professional help to get it fixed. We still have no idea how or why it got infected. It totally sucked though. Downtime at work is incredibly boring without ze internets.

Good luck John. Jamming is fun!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nick Berigan wrote:answers

I liked your answers ;)

fisticuffs wrote: Getting a group of 4 or 5 of them to learn the same tunes and show up on time or at all is probably the biggest headache.

I was thinking the same.

Kenneth Burns wrote: i.e., maybe you don't have a group of friends ready to get together and jam.

Yes that is it exactly. Plus I am old.

Download Malware Bytes supaunknown, run Firefox with No Script, plant your corn early:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

edits: I made some edits to quote people after I re-read the thread.
4th edit: Hey wow it counts how many times I edited this post.
Last edited by john_titor on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Start a band? I'm still trying to work up the courage (and a few covers) to play at an open mike!

Starting to play an instrument is an awesome midlife crisis fighter.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bluehead » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:02 am

There already is a band called MIDLIFE CRISIS....how about golf..you'll find more people to play with...

just saying..a midlife crisis is no reason to start a band.
Bluehead
Forum Addict

Postby Nick Berigan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 pm

JT, what kind of material are you looking to cover?
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Bluehead wrote:There already is a band called MIDLIFE CRISIS....how about golf..you'll find more people to play with...

just saying..a midlife crisis is no reason to start a band.

Congratulations, you have been glib, uninformed and heartless, all in one post.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hey hombre » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Start a band with Zippy: YOU'LL GET PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

.........wait, he doesn't consort with musicians of lesser ability.........
hey hombre
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:JT, what kind of material are you looking to cover?

I figured as a concession to any future band-mates, I would play anything that is fun.

Eh, this idea is probably destined to join the other raisins in that pile in the sun.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 am

My contact info is buried in the "about" section of
http://www.bandmix.com/rnberigan/
I'd be kind of interested in hearing a little more about what you have in mind.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music