MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Musicians eat it again for the Brats..

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Musicians eat it again for the Brats..

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 pm

zippy wrote:By the way the question is STILL.......
Why musicians should be asked to play for free at a charity event where everybody else is getting paid!

Exhibit A:
viewtopic.php?t=49676
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zippy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Average Joe wrote:
zippy wrote:Give it up Joe you just keep digging a bigger hole for yourself.

:roll:

Exactly how am I digging a hole for myself, zippy? I have no vested interest in your ignorance or your inane rants. But I do enjoy taking advantage of your obvious need to always try and get in the last word. It provides the perfect opportunity to allow you to further embarrass yourself, time and time again.

Let me see so far you have demonstrated an inability to tell the difference between a volunteer and paid event and have said only musicians who can read are non frustrated musicians who are worth anything. And you have still failed to address the actual topic. Sounds like the embarrassment trifecta to me! :wink:
And let me remind you to look at the names of the posters trying to restart this thread after it had been silent for weeks.
I think its you all who have the problem letting this go. :mrgreen:
zippy
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Again with the lack of reading comprehension skills, zippie. It's bad enough you fail to understand words and sentence structure in the first place, but to go back, reiterate your ignorance and claim it as your fait accompli, is well, just sad. Why must you continue to make a buffoon out of yourself?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 pm

zippy wrote:By the way the question is STILL.......
Why musicians should be asked to play for free at a charity event where everybody else is getting paid!

Because:

Volunteers are the bun for the brat – they are the most integral part of the World’s Largest Brat Fest! They grill… they cashier… they count attendees… they drive the shuttles… they stock condiments… they make sure the event grounds are clean – you get it – they pretty much do everything!

Each year, Brat Fest depends on nearly 4,000 volunteers of all ages with over 10,300 volunteer hours to play a special part in our continued success and our quest for the WORLD RECORD all in the spirit of community giving! Without them, Brat Fest would not be the same.

http://www.bratfest.com/volunteer/

Why is EVERYONE else getting paid.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zippy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:59 pm

Another thready come lately?
We have already established (pages ago) that the volunteers are actually paid an hourly wage that goes to the organization they come from. Do try and keep up at least a little bit ok?
zippy
Forum Addict

Postby zippy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Average Joe wrote:Again with the lack of reading comprehension skills, zippie. It's bad enough you fail to understand words and sentence structure in the first place, but to go back, reiterate your ignorance and claim it as your fait accompli, is well, just sad. Why must you continue to make a buffoon out of yourself?

So lets just agree to disagree on your idiotic responses.
As often occurs with the mentally challenged they are the last to know and this appears to be the case in your instance. You are certainly no average JOE when it comes to a complete and utter disdain for any kind of careful thought put into what you post.
Now you are reduced to trying to write what you imagine would sound like an intelligent retort complete with what for you must be very big words indeed. And it still boils down to nothing more than YOUR MAMA. :D
zippy
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 am

Well, zippie, judging from the responses to your posts from other forons, I doubt that I'm far from alone in thinking that you're a dumb-ass. But you keep clinging to your belief that it's everyone else who is wrong when just about everyone disagrees with your opinions, whatever gets you through the night.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 am

zippy wrote:Another thready come lately?
We have already established (pages ago) that the volunteers are actually paid an hourly wage that goes to the organization they come from. Do try and keep up at least a little bit ok?

Ya, and if a someone gets paid and that money automatically goes to a charity, then they ARE volunteering. They volunteer so that money goes to a charity. Musicians volunteer so that money goes to a charity. Your whole premise has no legs to stand on. I just feel like you're a bitter musician who hasn't gotten anywhere with their career and you want to find every excuse imaginable to justify your lack of fame and success.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:27 am

As happy as I am that this thread has driven folks to my Hype Exchange (nod, nod, http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49676wink, wink) post it makes more sense to answer this question here -

zippy -
How is it Bratfest getting you a gig from a guy you have "known for a long time"? Isn't it just as likely if you had called this person before bratfest you could have gotten a gig from them?

Zipster's second-hand story of a guy who saw a club owner who hadn't even seen this guy's band on stage has no relevance whatsoever to what happened to me. And while I feel for said musician guy because it's almost impossible to actually talk to a club owner, I still feel he was a good guy for volunteering his time. It did not bite him in the ass - it got him a gig.

I'm not a schmoozer and am not real good at networking. Taking advantage of casual relationships to promote myself is not in my nature. Indeed, the person hosting the stage at Bratfest is someone I knew from previous networking including a cancer benefit in 2007 (that I did for nothing because I had cancer and got rid of it). But if I hadn't made the leap from one acquaintance to the next as described in how I wound up at Bratfest to begin with, suffice it to say that I wouldn't have gotten the paying gig.

This is not a flying leap of logic like Zipster makes in this thread. I calculated the odds, spent a little money for gas and got a gig.

Zipper still hasn't proven that some musicians got paid. I queried the leader of one of the bands I know who does quite well in Madison and he told me none of the musicians he know of got paid including his. As he is, most certainly, a good friend, I believe him.

And I don't consider volunteering to cook brats so that my charitable organization gets a piece of the Bratfest pie as getting paid, either. Maybe one good thing about this thread would be that musicians who do a set would designate a charity that got, let's say, minimum wage per hour, per performer for doing the gig. I'd be happy to present a check for thirty bucks from the Bratfest folks to my charity of choice.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby zippy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 pm

I see the blur in the volunteer definition you are talking about chainsaw. I guess if the people working at bratfest are being paid a per hourly wage that goes to a nonprofit they work for I still consider that a benefit to them. But I see your point. I have talked to someone who I consider a very good source at bratfest as well as some musicians who I know got paid in years past. So I stand behind that statement.I also agree a good solution would be to have the bands be able donate their money to a music related charity such as the Mama's, Chainsaw.
Contrary to what many of you would choose to think about me I am a professional musician who is doing well. So get off the whole bitter musician routine. You may also be shocked to find out I have played hundreds of charity gigs over the years. And I plan on playing many more. But charity is a very big business. It makes a lot of people rich. There is a reason charities are often investigated and audited. The opportunity for abuse is great. And everyone just assumes hey its a charity event everyone must be donating their time right? Then you find out everyone else is getting paid except the musicians and realize the only charity part of the whole thing is the musicians volunteering their time and talent. If that is no problem for you have at. I am going to try and steer away from those events myself. :)
zippy
Forum Addict

Postby zippy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Average Joe wrote:Well, zippie, judging from the responses to your posts from other forons, I doubt that I'm far from alone in thinking that you're a dumb-ass. But you keep clinging to your belief that it's everyone else who is wrong when just about everyone disagrees with your opinions, whatever gets you through the night.

Well Joe your finally down to your last pathetic shred.
Your wrong because others have disagreed with you on this forum
SOOOOOOOO that means you do not know what your talking about.
I guess that means all the people who disagree with your posts many of whom you have called idiots are all right now? Thats just sad dude.
zippy
Forum Addict

Postby hey hombre » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:51 pm

when you dont use punctuation people cant understand what you mean commas are a good way to help express and emphasize you're haha point other wise it sounds to the reader who is trying to understand you like you are reciting the last 150 pages of Ulysses which makes more sense than you and is also good literature and easy to understand Zippy :lol:
hey hombre
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:56 pm

zippy wrote:
Well Joe your finally down to your last pathetic shred.

You went past pathetic long ago when you called musicians who volunteer for charity events stupid. It was at that point that I jumped into this thread because your comment was so incredibly dumb-assian.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zippy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 am

You both claim my punctuation makes my posts impossible to understand yet time and again you come back to argue points about posts you claim not to be able to understand. That makes you liars.
Its a waste of time to argue with liars. bye bye!
zippy
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 am

zippy wrote:You both claim my punctuation makes my posts impossible to understand yet time and again you come back to argue points about posts you claim not to be able to understand. That makes you liars.
Its a waste of time to argue with liars. bye bye!

Where did I say your punctuation makes your posts "impossible to understand"? I said I had to read one of your posts a couple of times to figure out what you were trying to say, that's not even close to "impossible to understand". You, sir, are either once again demonstrating your poor reading comprehension skills or making stuff up. Which is it?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music