MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Postby benfury » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:50 pm

I was fliering today for a show my band is having in a basement next week. When I got to the end of my stack I turned around to head back up state street to where I parked my moped and what did I see? A red haired girl tearing down a bunch of fliers on a kiosk on the opposite side of the street. Her male counterpart had a big ball of fliers ripped off the other side. I could still see my flier was hanging up so I just stopped to watch. Then she grabs mine and tears it down too. At that point I couldn't remain a bystander anymore. Without even looking both ways I dart across the street yelling "what are you doing?!"

"What?" she replies, as if she was minding her business eating a cookie. Again I ask her what she is doing and tell her that she just took down a flier I put there not more than a minute ago. She said that she was paid by the Majestic to take down fliers covering up their fliers! I say "wow. That's fucked up. But mine wasn't even covering a majestic flier" and point to the grateful dead tribute poster band I had covered up. "Oh well" she says. At this point english bro-dude says "hey man. What's the big deal? She is just doing her job." I go off about how I'm an independent musician who pays for these fliers out of my own pocket to promote my band. He says something about how I should get a different job, he must not have been listening.

Anyway, I tell them both to fuck off and call her a "worthless cunt." Not my proudest moment but I think that she must be pretty worthless if that's how she has to make a living.

I start walking back to my 'ped as I could tell I wasn't going to win an intellectual battle and leave them saying "wow, he's right. We shouldn't take down independent musicians fliers. Those guys work really hard to entertain losers like us." as they walked away. When I got to the next poster kiosk I notice my fliers (that I put at the bottom per usual) were gone. THEY RIPPED THEM ALL DOWN! I found all of them in various garbage and recycling bins on state street (yes, I dug them out. Can't waste em!)

Since they took all of mine down already there wasn't anything more they could do to crush my spirits or hurt my band. I decided it was time to "get a different job" so I hired myself to tear down any flier that says Majestic on it. The pay sucks, but my boss is super cool.

Believe me when I say this: THEY TOOK YOUR FLIERS DOWN TOO!!

It blows my mind that the Majestic (or maybe Tag Evers) hires people to eliminate the competition's fliers. Actually, it doesn't blow my mind. That seems par for Tag. It just pisses me off.
I have that 4 star unlimited rental thing so I am downtown quite a bit now. I am going to make it one of my priorities to remove all majestic fliers from now on. If all the independent bands who flier state street do the same thing they will have to either hire more people to put up fliers or they will just not ever have fliers up. Either way I hope they feel it. I also plan on writing a letter to the Majestic and having a talk with them. The place I work has our xmas party there, but my employer is also very supportive of local music so I doubt we will be giving them our business in the future.

Well, that' it. I hope all of you decide to take whatever action you feel is necessary to stop this or to counter their efforts.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Re: the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm putting my money on this being a Tag Evers thing. Either way that sucks.

For what it's worth, I used to work for an environmental group and we would put posters up only to have them strategically covered by WISPIRG posters. It was no coincidence. It's been many, many years so I have no idea if this is still going on.

This town is still big enough where you don't have to pull shit like that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 am

Been a while since we had a good flyer thread. Carry on.

benfury wrote:Anyway, I tell them both to fuck off and call her a "worthless cunt."

You pretty much lost the moral high ground with that one. But that's show business.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Been a while since we had a good flyer thread. Carry on.

benfury wrote:Anyway, I tell them both to fuck off and call her a "worthless cunt."

You pretty much lost the moral high ground with that one. But that's show business.

I disagree. One of the most satisfying things a man can do is call a woman a "worthless cunt."

Don't be one, don't get called one.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:10 pm

benfury wrote:...she was paid by the Majestic to take down fliers covering up their fliers!...

This goes back to the old days. Never fear.

Take a trip up/down State Street later and rip theirs down.

I'd also start a flyer war that beings with a flyer that says "The majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers."
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chris! » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Postergate 2010

That is kind of ridiculous that they do that though. I mean paying people to put up posters often = smart. Paying people rip down competing posters = smart (i suppose?) but incredibly lame. More people should be aware that this is going on.
chris!

Postby christopher » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 pm

same thing used to happen to me when i lived in Madison.
Last edited by christopher on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:14 pm

I mean, yeah, it makes sense to eliminate the competition when you are advertising for something. If people aren't aware of any shows going on besides ones at the majestic, that will help the majestic.

My main beef was that my flier wasn't even over a flier for the majestic. She was just ripping down whatever.

And its not even HER that really pisses me off. Its the majestic. Are they doing bad financially where they have to get people to tear fliers down? It just gets to me.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Get back at them by spamming the hell out of their facebook page.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 am

benfury wrote:My main beef was that my flier wasn't even over a flier for the majestic. She was just ripping down whatever.

Would you have given her the thumbs up if she just covered in graffiti?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:29 pm

O.J. wrote:
benfury wrote:My main beef was that my flier wasn't even over a flier for the majestic. She was just ripping down whatever.

Would you have given her the thumbs up if she just covered in graffiti?

I would give her the thumbs up if she covered them in beef jerky.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Wipe feces on your flyer after you put it up.
There's a million equivalent alternatives to a little poo also.
Be creative.
Scented flyers'll stick with 'em on teardown.

Also - carry stunt flyers for shit you make up, and cover things randomly to put the flyer wars on the tail of a non-existant competitor on the kiosks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... sic_groups

For First Artist stuff: just grab one, take it to wherever; re-edit it with your info and print it out again. looks just like theirs. - they might miss it on teardowns, and you'll get a laugh out of it.
-or just change the First Artist info to be incorrect if you are feeling like an ass.

(I miss flyer wars)

:)

Have fun out there!
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:19 pm

The Center Square wrote:(I miss flyer wars)

:lol:
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Just to sum up:

- You spotted some idiots tearing down fliers on State Street and when you confronted them, they said they were paid to do so by a nightclub and named the nightclub.... and you believed them?

- Your post, pure hearsay, generates replies from those who are now going to spread the word that it's okay to start tearing down posters from this club even though they haven't any proof that your'e telling the truth or the people you encountered were telling the truth.

If you come out of your house to confront me after I throw eggs at it and I say, "uhhh... your neighbor told me to do it," are you going to call me a name and then throw eggs at your neighbor's house?

Ya got quite a sense of justice, I must say.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:06 pm

benfury wrote:And its not even HER that really pisses me off. Its the majestic. Are they doing bad financially where they have to get people to tear fliers down? It just gets to me.

The guys who run the Majestic are extremely supportive of local bands. I find it very hard to believe they would hire people to do this type of thing.

Not that anyone would fess up to hiring someone to do this, but before you start trashing the Majestic I would at least ask a representative of the venue if they know anything about it and inform them - whether they hired them or not - the Majestic is being named and blamed for it.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music