MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Postby dave esmond » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

I've been making posters for 25 years or so.

I'm not convinced putting 'em on kiosks make a lick of difference for our shows. I've done the experiment of getting posters on every kiosk and in dozens of shops and then next time not doing a poster at all. Attendance was pretty much exactly the same in both cases. When my wife did some facebook posting about our CD release show we filled the High Noon. That pretty much convinced me that's the way to go these days.

I still make posters for all our shows. These days I take a few to B-Side and Madcity and the rest to the venue. I do always make some for the people who like my work and ask for a copy too. I also make larger ones on better paper for the venue and folks like Walter & Wagstaff who collect 'em. I'm quite proud to see a few of my posters hanging in Kiki's basement next to some really nice posters.

Tag get's the top rows because he's pretty much written the rules for the kiosks by being out there every day of every week for something like 30 years. In 1984 I started making posters for a friend who promoted shows and we would give Tag a pile of posters and I think something like $20 and he'd hang 'em and tend 'em for us. It's Tag's world and we just play in it when it comes to the kiosks. I kinda feel like he's earned it. There's no getting around the fact that he's a big part of live music in Madison.

I personally miss the old wooden kiosks. It was so much easier to use a staple gun then it is to use tape. Plus it made removing the cool ones for my own collection much easier. I've never been able to get a decent copy of anything that was hung on a kiosk with tape.

This one's not quite done but I'm digging it.

There's a lot of people in town making some really nice posters. Hearing about people tearing down one's that aren't covering flyers for shows that haven't already taken place makes me sad and angry.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:I Someone should make a rock doc on show flyers, if it has not been done.

http://www.diedyoungstayedpretty.com/
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm

dave esmond wrote:I do always make some for the people who like my work and ask for a copy too. I also make larger ones on better paper for the venue and folks like Walter & Wagstaff who collect 'em.....

...I personally miss the old wooden kiosks. It was so much easier to use a staple gun then it is to use tape. Plus it made removing the cool ones for my own collection much easier. I've never been able to get a decent copy of anything that was hung on a kiosk with tape.

Dave, I need to get together with you and catch up on posters from the last couple shows. You do fine work, indeed.

And, is that date for the show, Aug 19, set? If it is, I need to put in for time off! I hate to miss a Motorz show. If only Dan would come out of his shell a little, they would a truly be an entertaining night out.

The wooden kiosks were good for the staples but bad because of fires. The kiosks were all burned and damaged from the years of what one of my partners and I called "flyer prairie burns". Hence the move to metal.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

The Majestic DOES NOT pay people to rip down competing flier

Postby madflyer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Okay, some good information in this thread finally, but also some more coming:

I've flyered a lot downtown for various entities, and I've asked around directly to various involved parties, so I've noticed perhaps more than a lot of you what's really going on here.

First, the Majestic does not pay people to tear down competing flyers. The Majestic has a huge street team, the members of which go out twice a day. They are not paid, but they do get the benefit you'd expect of entry to many shows at the Majestic. They are not hired guns just out to make a buck; they're probably at least as passionate and supportive about music as most of you, and not just shows at the Majestic.

They tear down flyers that have been put over their own, yes. So does Tag/True Endeavors, who does not "get" the first two rows on all kiosks; they get just the first row on State Street, for example, with Majestic "getting" the second row. They cooperate so that they don't fight with each other's turf. But really, it is free for all, so you might see their flyers on other rows at times since they have so many things going on all the time. Both companies will also have larger posters at times, which they generally put on the bottom row.

Majestic seems to get attacked more than Tag as they are newer than True Endeavors, but also perhaps because lots of people don't realize that the top row is actually flyered by one company since True Endeavors books shows at many venues vs. mainly just one like the Majestic. Also, the Majestic's flyers always prominently display "Majestic" vs. those of True Endeavors.

Many of you object to this claiming of rows and such, but really, it's for the best. Knowing how many flyers they always have going, isn't it better knowing where theirs generally will be (and be "enforced")? You also won't see obnoxious flyering behavior from them like putting flyers that span multiple rows, or a plastering of kiosks with a single event's flyers. You also won't see either of them slashing other flyers or ripping them down out of some sense of supposedly justified retaliation.

Yeah, they tear down other flyers that cover theirs? So what? What makes it so fine to you if they cover yours vs. taking yours down? It saves paper, and it also saves them time with organization of their campaigns since they always have more shows coming up than their chosen turf can hold. Also, their removal of flyers helps keep the kiosks from getting filled out faster. No one wants that, because then the City just swoops in and strips them bare more often.

"Tag doesn't really own it, he just has the resources to take yr flyers down if you cover them up, whereas most bands don't have the time/energy to keep up with that."

The above quote is what it really boils down to. Tag & Majestic hit the streets hard. If you want to have your own street team do similarly, then kudos to you.
Last edited by madflyer on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madflyer

Re: The Majestic DOES NOT pay people to rip down competing flier

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 am

madflyer wrote:Yeah, they tear down other flyers that cover theirs? So what? What makes it so fine to you if they cover yours vs. taking yours down? It saves paper, and it also saves them time with organization of their campaigns since they always have more shows coming up than their chosen turf can hold. Also, their removal of flyers helps keep the kiosks from getting filled out faster. No one wants that, because then the City just swoops in and strips them bare more often.

Can someone explain how tearing down flyers saves paper?
I've heard that twice in this thread....seems counter-intuitive to me...
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Majestic DOES NOT pay people to rip down competing flier

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 am

madflyer wrote:Many of you object to this claiming of rows and such, but really, it's for the best. Knowing how many flyers they always have going, isn't it better knowing where theirs generally will be (and be "enforced")? You also won't see obnoxious flyering behavior from them like putting flyers that span multiple rows, or a plastering of kiosks with a single event's flyers. You also won't see either of them slashing other flyers or ripping them down out of some sense of supposedly justified retaliation.

It's for the best so that anyone who want's nothing to do with Tag's shows can just choose to avoid moving their necks up to view said flyers.
;)
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

The majestic DOES NOT pay people to rip down competing flier

Postby madflyer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm

lol that is a good point! Anyway, it saves paper because the alternative is adding more flyers to cover up what's there on top of their flyers. Remove flyer covering theirs to reveal what they previously put up uses no more paper. Don't want yours removed? Don't cover up their flyers or use their rows. Actually, go ahead. But know that they send people out all the time, so for the best exposure, avoid their turf. Works out better for everyone.
Last edited by madflyer on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madflyer

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm

madflyer wrote:Anyway, it saves paper because the alternative is adding more flyers to cover up what's there on top of their flyers. Remove flyer covering theirs to reveal what they previously put up uses no more paper.

DOH! I'm retarded....haha.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Well, someone is wasting paper any way you slice it; if Pippi Longstocking sidles up and rips down Ben's flyer, Ben just wasted paper.

I appreciate what Tag and the Majestic do for the local music scene. I'm not convinced that a hierarchical approach to flyering on the kiosks is necessarily for the best for all parties, though.

Thanks for that documentary recommendation, Nate. I'll check 'er out.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby banjovee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:54 pm

You may have covered it in these 4 pages of responses, but...
I'm assuming the date of the show advertising the "Grateful Dead Cover Band" poster you covered up was past? Otherwise, what's the difference between tearing one down and covering one up?
banjovee

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:24 pm

banjovee wrote:I'm assuming the date of the show advertising the "Grateful Dead Cover Band" poster you covered up was past? Otherwise, what's the difference between tearing one down and covering one up?

Another unwritten rule of the kiosks is that you're supposed to cover up or tear down anything Grateful Dead-related. OK, I made that up, but still ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 pm

supaunknown wrote:
banjovee wrote:I'm assuming the date of the show advertising the "Grateful Dead Cover Band" poster you covered up was past? Otherwise, what's the difference between tearing one down and covering one up?

Another unwritten rule of the kiosks is that you're supposed to cover up or tear down anything Grateful Dead-related. OK, I made that up, but still ...

I'm in favor of putting that into effect.

All in favor, say "Aye"
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Genius » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:17 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

All in favor, say "Aye"

Aye. Aye. Aye. Aye. Aye.

I'm responding for myself and all the members in this band.
Mad Genius

Postby acereraser » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Mad Genius wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Another unwritten rule of the kiosks is that you're supposed to cover up or tear down anything Grateful Dead-related. OK, I made that up, but still ...

All in favor, say "Aye"

Aye. Aye. Aye. Aye. Aye.

I'm responding for myself and all the members in this band.

Which band?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:21 pm

acereraser wrote:Which band?

The anti-Grateful Dead band known as the Sadly Alive.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music