MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Orton Park Fest 8/26-29

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

The Orton Park Fest 8/26-29

Postby madmax » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:21 am

The 45th Orton Park Festival

Thursday, August 26th
Family Night:
8:00-- Cycropia Aerial Dance Theater
Friday, August 27th
5:00 –8:00— International Dinner with Vendors
5:45 – The Tony Castañeda Latin Jazz Sextet
6:45 – MNA Auction
7:15— Razia Said
8:45– Cycropia Aerial Dance Theater

Saturday, August 28th
Noon — Whitney Mann
1:30 – Robert J and the Rowdy Prairie Dogs
3:00 -- Cris Plata and Extra Hot
4:15– MNA Auction
5:15 – Monika and Christian Nieves (Puerto Rico)
7:00 – The Carolina Chocolate Drops
9: 00 – Curley Taylor and Zydeco Trouble

Sunday, August 29th
9:00 – Jazz Brunch with Sally DeBroux & Friends
11:30 – The Rohnellaros
1:00 – The Getaway Drivers
2:00 – Orton Cake Walk
2:30 - Kings Go Forth
3:45 – MNA Auction
4:45— The Rousers
6:45 – Dave Alvin & the Guilty Women

http://www.marquette-neighborhood.org/a ... ry_id=7375
madmax
Forum Addict

Re: The Orton Park Fest 8/26-29

Postby madmax » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:20 am

Changes involving Family Night and the Jazz Brunch.

The 45th Orton Park Festival

Thursday, August 26th
Family Night (Ice Cream & Soft Drinks for sale):
6:30- Daithi Wolfe & Company
8:00-- Cycropia Aerial Dance Theater

Friday, August 27th
5:00 –8:00— International Dinner with Vendors
5:45 – The Tony Castañeda Latin Jazz Sextet
6:45 – MNA Auction
7:15— Razia Said
8:45– Cycropia Aerial Dance Theater

Saturday, August 28th
Noon — Whitney Mann
1:30 – Robert J and the Rowdy Prairie Dogs
3:00 -- Cris Plata and Extra Hot
4:15– MNA Auction
5:15 – Monika and Christian Nieves (Puerto Rico)
7:00 – The Carolina Chocolate Drops
9: 00 – Curley Taylor and Zydeco Trouble

Sunday, August 29th
9:00 – Jazz Brunch with The Randal Harrison Trio
11:30 – The Rohnellaros
1:00 – The Getaway Drivers
2:00 – Orton Cake Walk
2:30 - Kings Go Forth
3:45 – MNA Auction
4:45— The Rousers
6:45 – Dave Alvin & the Guilty Women
madmax
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Bob,
Are you using the same massive PA system and stage as last year?
It was really overkill for our neighborhood setting. Most people who live on the park enjoy Orton Park fest .... up to a point. 2 days of nonstop sound was tolerable with the smaller stage and PA you used to use. Now we are faced with 4 days of constant cars, yelling drunks, slamming porta potty doors. The new larger sound system rattles the windows, scares the cats, you can't talk on the phone, listen to the radio, take a nap, or just relax. The larger system is certainly called for an industrial setting like Fete de Marquette but not in a park that is lined by homes. It's getting out of hand.

I've lived on the park for 20 years. Orton Park fest is changing from a lovely neighborhood festival that I used to look forward to into a huge "event" that I am starting to dread. I really do appeciate the work and consideration that goes into the music line-up. It's generally top notch and I do feel lucky to see many of the acts for free. And the neighborhood gets to raise money, raise awareness, and show off our park.

But please give some thought to the people who live here and in future, scale it back a notch or two into something more appropriate for the neighborhood.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby madmax » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Nice article on the Carolina Chocolate Drops in this morning's 77 section. There's a legible, updated schedule also.

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/m ... 5c064.html
madmax
Forum Addict

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:Bob,
Are you using the same massive PA system and stage as last year?
It was really overkill for our neighborhood setting. Most people who live on the park enjoy Orton Park fest .... up to a point. 2 days of nonstop sound was tolerable with the smaller stage and PA you used to use. Now we are faced with 4 days of constant cars, yelling drunks, slamming porta potty doors. The new larger sound system rattles the windows, scares the cats, you can't talk on the phone, listen to the radio, take a nap, or just relax. The larger system is certainly called for an industrial setting like Fete de Marquette but not in a park that is lined by homes. It's getting out of hand.

I too have noticed this event grow yearly. It used to be nearly all local acts (back when the PA wasn't a monster) but now we have national acts that spillover from the other 2 fests that share the same booker. Interesting, considering many of the excellent locals that get passed up (and underpaid when they do play) for the out of towners. Well said, Kittenwithawhip.
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:10 am

Yes, Zombeatles, this is exactly it.
I was at a dinner party last Saturday with some long time Madisonians and that was the sentiment of the room. We all missed the great local bands. This festival has lost its neighborhood roots. Featuring local acts was an important part of that. The crowds, PA, and national acts do not fit in our small park setting.
Orton Park Fest has sadly lost its Orton Park feel.

They may as well just move this to Warner Park and make it into a mini-Summerfest.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Nick Berigan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 pm

It's quite possible that I am not seeing some part of this discussion if it occurred in some other setting, association meeting or something.

I sure would hope that you didn't wait til 3 weeks before the thing to start offering these concerns.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:I sure would hope that you didn't wait til 3 weeks before the thing to start offering these concerns.

One might just as easily surmise that he's voicing concern 55 weeks in advance of next weeks festival.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Mean Scenester is correct. Actually, it's been in discussion amongst the neigborhood since the bigger stage and PA made its appearance last year. Several of us have been trying to arrange a meeting with the parks dept and our alderperson this fall in order to have some input on next year's fest.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:47 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:... it's been in discussion amongst the neigborhood since the bigger stage and PA made its appearance last year. Several of us have been trying to arrange a meeting with the parks dept and our alderperson this fall in order to have some input on next year's fest.

You don't mention the Marquette Neighborhood Association. Since it's an MNA festival, I would think that would be your first stop if you want to propose some changes. Have the several of you raised it with MNA?
chance
Forum Addict

Postby acereraser » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:09 pm

I am sure schedule conflicts prevented it, but in a perfect world, Kings Go Forth and the Carolina Chocolate Drops would have switched spots. The park was as full as I've ever seen it on Saturday night, and as a result, the Drops couldn't be heard past the chairs. Kings Go Forth were great, but I was wishing for their sakes they could have put their high energy show on after dark.

Still is my favorite neighborhood festival, though.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music