MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Registration for Band to Band Combat 2010 is open!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Registration for Band to Band Combat 2010 is open!

Postby ko-Kayne » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:"You tried to fuck people over to at least some extent."

See, here you are again attacking my character. Anonymously. Like a real stand-up character. I've been face to face with the people you claim I tried to "fuck over," admitted mistakes and tried to make it right, explaining myself to the people who matter directly. I've sought assurances that things were okay... in person. Still, accusations about my integrity fly in from someone I know I've never met and who I'm pretty confident is sitting a substantial distance away.

It's a toolshed move, but from what I've heard, more or less par for the course.

as a member of the Midwest Beat, who also considers "defacto" to be a true brother (and rock n roll is thicker than blood). i appreciate the points he's trying to put out, i get it 100%, some are valid and should be addressed.

but Jason Joyce has never been anything but a stand up guy to us, and we all have great respect for how he handles these situations. plus he is not RA, puke, and thank god.
ko-Kayne
Forum Addict

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:"I doubt you pay for the bandwidth on the site."

You doubt wrong. We own our own server and pay for hosting and bandwidth. And serving over 30 (not a handful) streaming MP3s over the course of two months to thousands of voters affects bandwidth.

"Did you kick other ads out those particular weeks to make room for your own ads?"

Newspapers typically pay staff, heat the building and maintain servers by running paid advertising at a certain ratio to content that isn't paid for. Ads have value (so do the hundreds of free listings for local bands we print each week, but that's another issue). We printed band names, photos and little paragraphs written by the bands themselves for no charge throughout the two months of this contest. Apparently you believe that's worthless, but others disagree. We pay the guys who wrote about the show, took photos, took and edited video and staffed the event.

"You tried to fuck people over to at least some extent."

See, here you are again attacking my character. Anonymously. Like a real stand-up character. I've been face to face with the people you claim I tried to "fuck over," admitted mistakes and tried to make it right, explaining myself to the people who matter directly. I've sought assurances that things were okay... in person. Still, accusations about my integrity fly in from someone I know I've never met and who I'm pretty confident is sitting a substantial distance away.

It's a toolshed move, but from what I've heard, more or less par for the course.

First of all it should be cleared up that I was not attacking your character, I meant YOU as in the Isthmus in general.

Apparently I have a reputation around the Isthmus office. GOOD. Do I care if the most unprofessional staff thinks I suck? NO. And why do I have a reputation? Probably because I stood up for myself and other photographers when you CONTINUALLY printed people's photos without their credit/consent. This is NOT professional and not anything a publication that cared about the scene would do. Last time I checked it's PRETTY fucking sad to steal a photo that had photo credit CLEARLY visible and then pass it off as yr own.
Basically I think yr publication gets it's ass kissed way too much and you have a hard time dealing with criticism the few times someone has the balls to stand up for something.

So I doubted wrong bout yr little bit of bandwidth. Take my fucking song of yr site then if it bothers you so much that you don't want to pay for that little bit of bandwidth use. I don't need you to think yr doing me a favor by hosting a 2 megabyte file on yr web site when I can easily host it a magnitude of other places for free. Not like anyone's RUSHING to yr site to hear our songs.

Anonymously?!
Anyone on this board could easily identify defactobrigade as BOBBY HUSSY from the band THE HUSSY. A 2 second search of this site would easily find that.

You KNOW you've never met me? Oh yeah? We HAVE met, at that Isthmus show last year. I shook yr hands and I was fucking drunk but still can remember it. And to be honest, if you haven't met me, doesn't that kinda show you don't actually go to shows? Had you actually GONE to local shows outside of Isthmus events, you probably would have met me as well since I think it's safe to say I've played quite a bit of shows in Madison in my life thus far, and I continue to go to quite a bit of shows/play a lot of shows. I think others would agree with that statement.

So you still haven't noted why you felt the losing band shouldn't get money in the first place? We've acknowledged that you ultimately fixed the problem and I do commend you for that. I DO agree that I've only heard good things about you/nice guy and you were a nice guy to me that night we met. But to continually dismiss the idea that you originally thought it was fine to take the door/not give us any reason as to why you thought that was fine is what proves you are a jackass.

I've spent many years in Madison and just because I'm not RIGHT THERE RIGHT NOW does NOT mean that I'm not entitled to talk any shit/tell anyone anything I fucking want to. Free Speech, and as I can see the Isthmus doesn't take too kindly to people disclosing information about their shady whereabouts. I know what you'll say to this. "No, we don't take too kindly to people lying."
Well guess what? I didn't lie. Your company tried to take all the door money and you still haven't described why you thought that was fine. You also have NOT addressed why your staff was so lazy as to not even proofread/update the rules to the contest.
And the only thing I can gather from your above comments is that you DID nix other ads to make room for this contest in the paper, and I WOULD commend you for that (if I actually thought that to be true), but something tells me you still ran the same amount of ads as always and maybe had to print an extra 4 pages. SMALL price to pay if you actually care about people knowing the scene. AND it's ONLY in your interest to print shit in yr paper about it. it's going to get more people to the show to buy drinks/pay the cover charge, right? And again, that's fine, we're in corporate america, just don't act like/make it seem as if you lost ad revenue because you did this promotion.

Yr just pissed cuz your publication got called out on being asshole and you wanna clean it up. But as it's pretty easy to see, an asshole's a hard thing to clean up.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 pm

PS. I DO appreciate the Isthmus listing shows for free. But really do you think you could actually list band's shows FOR MONEY? NO BAND IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DO THAT (Onion anyone?! They pick better shows anyways) SO you have NO choice but to print the shows cuz it helps get people to pick up yr paper which ultimately means that you can then tell advertisers how large your circulation is. I know how a fucking paper works. It's probably not the case that bands have a huge effect on your circulation being large, but to say that bands do NOT affect this is completely ludicrous. So therefore WHY should a band pay for that when they're ultimately helping your advertising revenue? I know you weren't arguing for the sake of a paid listing, but you WERE arguing that you ruled for listing band's shows for free.

"We printed band names, photos and little paragraphs written by the bands themselves for no charge throughout the two months of this contest"

IF you would have charged for this would ANY band in their RIGHT mind take part in yr contest? NO. you have NO other choice but to print that stuff for free if you want people to come to yr show, cuz without the bands you don't have the show. That's a stupid statement to make bragging like you're helping so much and that it costs you money and boo hoo. The Onion writes about bands too ya know, right? Bands get free promotion all over the city from MANY other places that are willing to help, and I CHALLENGE you to start charging bands for anything. See how far that gets you and yr publication.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:45 am

Free speech indeed, Bobby Hussy. Free speech indeed.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Sleeping in the Stereo's jangly pop won? No shit! I saw those guys play at the Union once and neither guitarist played a lick of lead. Hell, neither utilized anything past the 6th fret. They must have gotten a lot better! I'll give them that their happy happy poppy formula for songs was happy happy though. Count me in as another person who told his 18 yr old that they couldn't enter the contest because of the 21 and older rules on the website...alas, no one wants to hear original blues roots music with a twist of revolution and harmony;)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:16 am

indycoyote wrote: Count me in as another person who told his 18 yr old that they couldn't enter the contest because of the 21 and older rules on the website...alas, no one wants to hear original blues roots music with a twist of revolution and harmony;)

:(
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music