MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

AftonLive.com - Anybody?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

AftonLive.com - Anybody?

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Through reverbnation on facebook I got approached by someone from these guys

http://artists.aftonlive.com/

who claimed they were interested in what I do for a bill at the Rave in Milwaukee. It seemed like spam. I sent a note back that whether or not I dragged my guys to do a gig there (and, yes, I've been there) would depend on money and who else was on the bill. What I got back in my email was a note that said they had set up an account with Aftonlive and I needed to "activate" it to continue the "process."

I am many years past doing gigs for exposure unless it's for a good cause but if there was some money involved -gas, wear and tear, etc I might consider it if we were matched with somebody national who might be interested in my original material. I can do at least a set's worth.

Anybody here had experience with these people or been contacted by them?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Re: AftonLive.com - Anybody?

Postby lonesomejohnny » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 pm

I have no experience with them but I'd say at best they're a lame pay-to-play deal similar to what's been posted on here before. Notice when you look up shows on their calendar there are dates, locations, and times listed, but no bands? I wouldn't mess around with it.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 am

I had to dig but I found this

http://aftonshows.com/

and I selected Milwaukee where they are producing shows at a place called the Miramar.

This whole thing just has a slimy feel. "We get your word out for free." Of course they do. You're playing for nothing. It's failed musicians taking advantage of other musicians. Not cool.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Robdzatu » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Personally, I'm not a big fan. I utilized their services for breaking into the Chicago market. And although they have access to quality venues, it's kinda bogus to play on an "off night" like a Sunday or a Tuesday. And on top of that you do have to pretty much pay to play with no big headliner or anything.....I mean, like I said outside of venue access it's really not too much too it(at least for bands, lol). You'd have better luck just going to venues yourself or sending EPKs.
Robdzatu
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music