MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

R.I.P. Good n Loud

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

R.I.P. Good n Loud

Postby superman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Just heard they're closing shop. :(
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Re: R.I.P. Good n Loud

Postby Average Joe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Both locations?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Meh. I love a good music store more so than most people on this planet. Good n Loud hasn't been one in a long long time. I wish the staff the best luck in finding new work.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 am

Average Joe wrote:Both locations?

Yep. I heard they're done in February.
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm

It's not too suprising. Their Eastside location has been closed for quite some time now. It went completely unnoticed by most folks around here. I think it's a bummer.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 pm

So.... what's the decent music store in Madison? Is this a result of Guitar Center and other developments, like the addition of a music department at Best Buy? Online commerce? The "economy"?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:27 pm

All of the above. The economy number one though. In tough times things like music are the first to suffer. People still tend to buy food and gas but guitars? Guitar Center has to be another big one. Horrible mismanagement by the ownership? That second store was a money pit and an awful idea to begin with. Throw in the fact that there were bills going unpaid long before they opened it. They lost a lot of their best lines. Fender dropped them years ago and along with Fender goes Jackson, Charvel, SWR, Gretsch, and Guild. You can only sell so many generic Chinese knock offs that no ones ever heard of.
We need a good music store but I don't know that anyone should go and open one in this climate. We've got Best Buy (I don't know anyone who's ever actually bought anything there) GC is probably taking most of the business, Ward Brodt all but closed down the combo department, Ginter's is great for seasoned nerds but no so much for mom and dad buying a starter guitar. Full Compass has a lot more than you think they do but not really a traditional music store by any means. You can go in and try stuff though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brentron909 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:So.... what's the decent music store in Madison? Is this a result of Guitar Center and other developments, like the addition of a music department at Best Buy? Online commerce? The "economy"?

Craigslist.

Jason, I think all of your reasons contributed to the death of GnL. I think the "formula" for the loss of traditional mom n' pop music stores has been a combination of factors. "Serious" musicians buy from Craigslist and Ebay, with the occasional purchase from Guitar Center for that gotta-have new item. Mom and Dad are now buying Junior's Christmas StratPak from Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I would venture a guess that the brick and mortar GC stores are probably a loss leader that serves as advertisement for their online store. And it's a good thing megachurches are ever more resembling Branson and Vegas.
That's what's keeping Full Compass afloat. Right, fisticuffs?
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby rick » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

rick
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:57 pm

That's what's keeping Full Compass afloat. Right, fisticuffs?

Churches, Schools, contractors, other businesses. The money isn't there anymore to survive solely on instruments. I could see GC operating at a loss as well. It's all very sad. If I could do one thing with my life it would be to own and operate a guitar store. It's probably never going to be feasible though anymore. Dave's in LaCrosse is flat out incredible but if he didn't travel and do guitar shows and sell so much through the web he'd be in trouble too. Ginter's is my kind of shop but his overhead is very low.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I guess I'm part of the problem. Even though I live close enough they could probably hear me when I fired up the ol' Super Lead, I haven't been in there for at least a couple of years...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:52 pm

I was just out at GnL several weeks ago looking around for a new toy and wondered as I left empty handed how long they were going to be around. There just wasn't anything there. More than half the hooks in the acoustic room were empty.
Sad.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:09 pm

What's going to happen to the Jeff Beck mural on the west side of the building?

Even their chimney has history.

The remains of a slender man in women's clothes have cooled for 21 years at the Dane County morgue, unidentified since he was found at the bottom of a chimney at a music store on University Avenue.

Supposedly this guy inspected the chimney and somehow missed the body.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What's going to happen to the Jeff Beck mural on the west side of the building?

If the Erdman development planned for the corner of Whitney and University ever goes forward I imagine the building will eventually be razed and the property redeveloped.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guitarist3 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:12 pm

That would be Keith Richards on the side of the building not Jeff Beck. Talked to a couple people today and it looks like Good n' Loud may live on with new owners. Lets hope so, Madison needs a Mom and Pop music store and not just the Crappy big box GC.
guitarist3

Next

Return to Madison Music