MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

R.I.P. Good n Loud

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: R.I.P. Good n Loud

Postby rick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 am

The Regenbergs make a nice living building US Masters Guitars in Middleton. If you purchased a BC Rich, they may have built it.
rick
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 am

The Cap Times story on GnL's closing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rjb4474 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:30 pm

So sad. :cry: GnL was a very good place for amateurs and pros alike for such a long time. Helpful, if not overly bright, sales staff. Helped with repairs, didn't blatantly rip folks off, kids could get lessons. An honest music store.
But, since that east side fiasco, they did change for the worse. Still, I did as much as much purchasing at the west location as possible.
I hope the rumors of new owners are true, and I will certainly give them a try. Guitar Center is awful on every level: anti-American focus in product lines, dumb-ass 'sales' people, loud/irritating/annoying environment. W-B is failing 'cause they were out 'G-C'd' by GuitarCenter. I only buy crap at GC when the alternative is cancelling the gig. Then I feel guilty for weeks.
Jim
rjb4474

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 am

droidsattack wrote:Their Eastside location has been closed for quite some time now. It went completely unnoticed by most folks around here. I think it's a bummer.

Speaking from a non-musicians viewpoint, I was surprised the east side location was overlooked. I never understood why all the music shops were out on the west side, and opening a locally owned full-service music store in a neighborhood that plenty of local musicians call home seemed like a natural fit. Again, this is from an "outsiders" point of view who knows nothing of brands, price comparisons and services offered.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Rockhaus.

Postby The Diode » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 am

The Diode
Forum Addict

Postby droidsattack » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:34 pm

rick wrote:The Regenbergs make a nice living building US Masters Guitars in Middleton. If you purchased a BC Rich, they may have built it.

I was wondering about that. I saw some of the US Masters guitars had the Regenberg name on their headstock, but I thought those ones were made in Korea or something? I played on a US Masters guitar at Ward-Brodt many years ago and thought it was really nice.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Is Ward Brodt closing now?

I see there's a big, FOR LEASE sign out front.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm

HeyZeus wrote:Is Ward Brodt closing now?

I saw that too several weeks ago, but when I went up to check it out it seems it is for a portion of the building, not the entire place.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 pm

jjoyce wrote:So.... what's the decent music store in Madison? Is this a result of Guitar Center and other developments, like the addition of a music department at Best Buy? Online commerce? The "economy"?

I like Spruce Tree Music at 851 East Johnson and Greg Ginter's Guitar Shop of Wisconsin at 2215 Atwood.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 pm

MadMind75 wrote:
droidsattack wrote:Their Eastside location has been closed for quite some time now. It went completely unnoticed by most folks around here. I think it's a bummer.

Speaking from a non-musicians viewpoint, I was surprised the east side location was overlooked. I never understood why all the music shops were out on the west side, and opening a locally owned full-service music store in a neighborhood that plenty of local musicians call home seemed like a natural fit. Again, this is from an "outsiders" point of view who knows nothing of brands, price comparisons and services offered.

The Eastside would have worked out if there wasn't other music stores.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm

My favorite G&L memory:
I went in to get strings and they didn't have the kind i wanted for about the 11th time. Annoyed that the mom and pop shop never had what I wanted, yet still wanting to support them, I was complaining, politely of course, to one of the very helpful workers.
The lady owner overheard me and said, "Sorry about that, (pointing to one of the workers) let him have 5 free strings."
Great! I thought. "I'll take 5 D'Addario 11 gauge, please."
Worker: "Were out."
Never returned. Maybe this had something to do with them losing business?
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby radicalrye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 pm

My two cents...the business was run very poorly. A lot of past due bills. A lot of companies dropped GnL because of it. Fender was definitely owed a lot of money by them. Gibson is just greedy and is exclusive with the big box stores.

Many instructors left because they wanted more freedom, to charge their own rates, and do their own scheduling.

I'm shocked they didn't close sooner. People in this city didn't even notice that the east side store has been closed for years. I worked there for a short stint back when they were first opening the east side location and I still get asked if the east side location is still around.

Nothing against Chris or Steve, but they were just kind of flaky and didn't really know what they were doing business wise. I know they tried very hard to keep things going as long as they did and they are good people, but I'm glad they're done with GnL.
radicalrye

Postby madt0wn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm

I spent a few years working at GnL and have to say I owe A LOT to Chris and Steve. Steve is probably the smartest person I've ever known and Chris the kindest. It breaks my heart to hear about this. They weren't perfect business owners, but always had the best intentions.

I still have no clue how people can buy instruments online, without putting their hands on it. But I guess that's worth saving a few bucks to most people...

Good luck to everyone, Madison lost a great asset to the local music scene.
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hobo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What's going to happen to the Jeff Beck mural on the west side of the building?

That would be Keith Richards.
Hobo

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:22 pm

donges wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:Is Ward Brodt closing now?

I saw that too several weeks ago, but when I went up to check it out it seems it is for a portion of the building, not the entire place.

For what it's worth... I was in G'n'L last week, and overhead the owners talking to another customer about Ward-Brodt. Apparently WB's owner wants to retire, but has no way out. None of his trusted employees can afford to buy him out and he doesn't wan the business to close.

So, if you find value in an overheard story told by another music store owner, there it is.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music