MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Scatz Turns Over Liquor License

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Scatz Turns Over Liquor License

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 pm

http://www.channel3000.com/entertainment/27085755/detail.html

A Middleton nightclub has agreed to turn over its liquor license permanently after police call it a concern for public safety.

According to one of the city's attorneys, the owners of Scatz voluntarily turned over its license rather than risk it possibly being revoked at a hearing scheduled for Saturday.

Great. We are losing another music venue. This doesn't seem right since the club has made great efforts to provide security and to do the right things.

Would this had happened if they played country music instead of hip hop?
PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Re: Scatz Turns Over Liquor License

Postby QuantumWeaver » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:38 pm

What? You can't listen to music without getting completely shit faced and acting like such a douche the cops have to be called?

Sounds more like a bar than a "music venue". If they have such good music they should be able to keep open.
QuantumWeaver

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 pm

QuantumWeaver wrote:What? You can't listen to music without getting completely shit faced and acting like such a douche the cops have to be called?

Sounds more like a bar than a "music venue". If they have such good music they should be able to keep open.

So you were there? You know exactly what happened right?
PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby QuantumWeaver » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Hell no - I wouldn't step foot in that place, but let's face it - it probably wasn't due to a prayer circle.

I got nothing against them turning it over if they think it will solve whatever their issues are. I seriously hope they can continue to stay in business though - time will tell I guess, but seems iffy to me.

Madison does seem to have challenges keeping music venues open - I haven't lived many other places here in the states, so is this kind of churn normal?
QuantumWeaver

Postby Igor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Madisonians want lots of music venues - just in someone else's neighborhood.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Igor wrote:Madisonians want lots of music venues - just in someone else's neighborhood.

Scatz is in Middleton.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:13 pm

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:http://www.channel3000.com/entertainment/27085755/detail.html

A Middleton nightclub has agreed to turn over its liquor license permanently after police call it a concern for public safety.

According to one of the city's attorneys, the owners of Scatz voluntarily turned over its license rather than risk it possibly being revoked at a hearing scheduled for Saturday.

Great. We are losing another music venue. This doesn't seem right since the club has made great efforts to provide security and to do the right things.

Would this had happened if they played country music instead of hip hop?

Referring to Scatz as a "music venue" is very kind, popeye. Especially in Madison, with such a diverse and energetic local music scene, this "music venue" and the cover/tribute bands it featured will hardly be missed.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:57 pm

wack wack wrote:Referring to Scatz as a "music venue" is very kind, popeye. Especially in Madison, with such a diverse and energetic local music scene, this "music venue" and the cover/tribute bands it featured will hardly be missed.

I know people like you, love to consider every corner bar that caters to smelly hippie tribute bands, part of Madison's "diverse and energetic local music scene.

Next to the High Noon, Scatz is/was one of the better live rooms in the city.

I'll give you the fact that under the previous Entertainment Director, the stream of tribute bands was underwhelming. But Christopher Lange was working his ass off trying to change that.

I'm hopeful a new club will open in it's place — sooner than later.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:06 pm

oranger wrote:
Igor wrote:Madisonians want lots of music venues - just in someone else's neighborhood.

Scatz is in Middleton.

I am aware of that - was assuming people would understand what I meant.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:56 pm

HeyZeus wrote:I'm hopeful a new club will open in it's place — sooner than later.

*** Breaking news ***
Since handing in their liquor license, the owners of Scatz have decided to accept a generous offer from the owners of Outer Limits (just down the road on Hwy 14) and Silk Milwaukee & Silk Juneau to purchase the building and turn it into "Silk Madison" (even though it's technically in Middleton).

Silk had decided to look for a new location on account of the fact that the town of Middleton placed restrictions on their Outer Limits location forbidding them from carrying out their plans for expansion to the building.

Word is Silk is pursuing an aggressive schedule trying their damndest to be open for business this Summer, and are targeting a soft opening in late May/early June.

Of course, everything I've written is an outright fabrication.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 am

MadMind75 wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:I'm hopeful a new club will open in it's place — sooner than later.

*** Breaking news ***
Since handing in their liquor license, the owners of Scatz have decided to accept a generous offer from the owners of Outer Limits (just down the road on Hwy 14) and Silk Milwaukee & Silk Juneau to purchase the building and turn it into "Silk Madison" (even though it's technically in Middleton).

Silk had decided to look for a new location on account of the fact that the town of Middleton placed restrictions on their Outer Limits location forbidding them from carrying out their plans for expansion to the building.

Word is Silk is pursuing an aggressive schedule trying their damndest to be open for business this Summer, and are targeting a soft opening in late May/early June.

Of course, everything I've written is an outright fabrication.

Truth is, we need a few quality gentleman's clubs in Madison. It'd be the perfect place for it.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 am

MadMind75 wrote:...targeting a soft opening...

heh
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:30 am

HeyZeus wrote:
wack wack wrote:Referring to Scatz as a "music venue" is very kind, popeye. Especially in Madison, with such a diverse and energetic local music scene, this "music venue" and the cover/tribute bands it featured will hardly be missed.

I know people like you, love to consider every corner bar that caters to smelly hippie tribute bands, part of Madison's "diverse and energetic local music scene.

Next to the High Noon, Scatz is/was one of the better live rooms in the city.

I'll give you the fact that under the previous Entertainment Director, the stream of tribute bands was underwhelming. But Christopher Lange was working his ass off trying to change that.

I'm hopeful a new club will open in it's place — sooner than later.

Got it... insult me, then tell me I'm right. Feel better now? Feel like a man?

Second best venue in town, but "the scene" couldn't participate there. Good riddance.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:49 am

Second best venue in town, but "the scene" couldn't participate there. Good riddance.

I think the reason for that is that "the scene" couldn't bring in enough people there to cover the cost of turning the lights on. Apparently though neither could the cover bands.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Scatz Turns Over Liquor License. bfd.

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 am

wow. have you all enjoyed a show or PLAYED there? Scatz had an inadequate load in--seriously lame for a "music venue" or even a modern club. Limited rear access + rocks + stairs + mud + hay = :cry: ... won't miss the quirky, mono PA either.

Might I suggest a lovely show at the Project Lodge, Frequency, High Noon, Majestic, Barrymore, Brink, Union Terrace, Rev Cycle, Mr. Roberts, Argus or any number of decent, band & fan friendly clubs around town? Plenty of neat festivals (Fete, Waterfront, Orton, Willy St) coming up too.

Or, try reading for a change.

:wink:
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Madison Music