MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

2011 MAMA's

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: 2011 MAMA's

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Nate535 wrote:
Mr. Williams wrote:I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this Nate! Which is cool, that's why music is great. One man's best is another man's worst. One's man's right is another man's wrong. That's the way music should be.

As a guitarist I have no problem what so ever with Lucas winning best guitarist. I believe he deserves it. When did we associate "the best" guitarist with a guy that can technically shred on blues, jazz or rock, etc. and lay down an amazing solo. Why not include some of the singer/songwriter guitarists. I believe Mark Croft, Corey Hart to name a few as some of Madison best guitarists- just in a different way. Kudos to Lucas for taking it home.

I believe arguing about how the best way to award "the best" is a never ending discussion.

Really? Don't you think "best guitarist" should go to a guitarist that does something to distinguish themselves from their peers? I'm ok with a singer-songwriter winning best guitarist...as long as they aren't doing something that is totally average. It's not about being able to rip a solo, but most of the players who have developed the technical skill to do so...are also pretty good rhythm guitar players. But that's not even the point. Lucas won best guitarist because he has a very popular band not because he is the best guitarist. If you can't see that, then maybe you should lay off the MAMA koolaid.

I'd have to agree with Nate. Additionally, I think that some aspects of music performance and ability are not relative or determined by the taste of the listener. A musician can play a particular passage, phrase etc or they can not. I think that someone's command of their instrument should be a key point of consideration when choosing someone for "best guitarist" or any of the other instrumental categories.
It would be wonderful (I think) to see people like Paul Black, Andy Ewen, Cliff Fredrickson, Chris Wagoner, Mary Gaines, Jon Vriesacker etc be honored for instrumental awards. Why would you not want to celebrate real accomplishment and excellence rather than awarding musicians for skills or genres that they have no solid command of?
It is also my opinion that many of the highly skilled musicians and
bands in Madison are pretty humble as well as being busy working gigs and considering those situations, they are not spending lots of time to get their stuff out in front of the MAMA judges.
ColumbiaCounty

Postby HopeIsKey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am

Keep in mind that submitting music to the MAMAs takes little time at all so to say that musicians are too busy to spend 10 minutes of their time submitting music just doesn't add up.
HopeIsKey

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:55 am

HopeIsKey wrote:Keep in mind that submitting music to the MAMAs takes little time at all so to say that musicians are too busy to spend 10 minutes of their time submitting music just doesn't add up.

"too busy"=low priority
ColumbiaCounty

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:04 pm

HopeIsKey wrote:Keep in mind that submitting music to the MAMAs takes little time at all so to say that musicians are too busy to spend 10 minutes of their time submitting music just doesn't add up.

Agreed that the material submission process is pretty easy. The difficult part for many is soliciting the votes. A lot of artists are simply uncomfortable hawking themselves. They might be incredible songwriters and performers, but if they're not heavily invested in MAMA-marketing themselves, chances are they won't win jack. I suppose that's fair, so why does it feel so yucky?

I think what people have been noticing is that some artists are entering songs in multiple categories, and the songs seem to scarcely fit the specified genres.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Yeah, it's not hard to submit. It can be a little fussy and flaky but it's not much worse than uploading your music to any other service, which everyone does nowadays.

But yes, the main issue as I see it is bands submitting in multiple categories that they aren't related to.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm

But yes, the main issue as I see it is bands submitting in multiple categories that they aren't related to.

Agreed. I don't care who wins or how I just want a Country band to win the Country award and a Jazz band to win the Jazz award. Is that asking too much?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Some Guy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:17 am

ColumbiaCounty wrote:It would be wonderful (I think) to see people like Paul Black, Andy Ewen, Cliff Fredrickson, Chris Wagoner, Mary Gaines, Jon Vriesacker etc be honored for instrumental awards.

Wait a minute. Fredricksen and Wagoner are indeed world class players, but Gaines and Vriesacker, while they may be solid players, are not in the same league - not even close. Ewen is lame, and Black can't play for shit. There! I said it.
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Ron Keeley » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 am

NullDevice wrote:Yeah, it's not hard to submit. It can be a little fussy and flaky but it's not much worse than uploading your music to any other service, which everyone does nowadays.

From Null Device's website:
http://www.nulldevice.com/2011/03/897/

NullDevice's website wrote:Null Device is in the running for a few Madison Area Music Awards this year in categories like “electronic” and “pop” and “world.” Additionally, our long-time soundguy Adam Weisenfarth is up for best live sound, our friends in Little Red Wolf are up for country and americana and such.

There, I said it!
Ron Keeley

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 am

Ron Keeley wrote:
NullDevice wrote:Yeah, it's not hard to submit. It can be a little fussy and flaky but it's not much worse than uploading your music to any other service, which everyone does nowadays.

NullDevice's website wrote:Null Device is in the running for a few Madison Area Music Awards this year in categories like “electronic” and “pop” and “world.” Additionally, our long-time soundguy Adam Weisenfarth is up for best live sound, our friends in Little Red Wolf are up for country and americana and such.

There, I said it!

I think Null Device fits into all three categories fairly well, no?
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 pm

In my defense, the album was also only submitted in "electronic" too. Just sayin'.

(and the "world" track was in arabic, sung by a Saudi singer, so it seemed like it'd be appropriate. But maybe it wasn't. I don't wanna look like a hypocrite.)

Wait, how'd this become about me all of a sudden?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am

ha.
i just had to laugh at least once in this thread.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 am

minicat wrote:Personally, I could be involved in creating the best album ever made, and I'm just not gonna submit it myself. Without getting into whether that's a good or a bad attitude to have, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I absolutely 100% feel this way.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:12 am

Mr. Williams wrote:It's been said many times here, it's simple, awards shows will always be about popularity but I still believe the winners are just as talented as the losers and i'm sure most of the winners would say the same thing. At a certain point- all bands are equal in talent. It's impossible to say one band is better then the next and the easiest thing to judge a band on is popularity because in music- that's what it takes to succeed.

I believe popularity is a great way to judge a band, it's all encompassing. It takes into account music ability, marketing power, crowd draw, stage presence, buzz, songwriting and the list goes on. Ultimately I believe as a musician that is what we are judged on- if we are popular we win awards, we get more money at shows, we sell more merch., we get more fans. It's simple the most popular bands can do all of those things very well.

I couldn't disagree with this more.

I also like how on yr list of things that are important, "songwriting" somehow comes up LAST.
WTF?
That's ALL that matters to me dude.

So essentially what yr arguing is that ONLY popular art can be good art?
FUCK THAT man.

You should read this cuz I'm pretty sure this band was pretty fucking popular (SOLD MILLIONS of records and won OTHER BULLSHIT AWARDS) at one point in time (but have you heard one of their songs on the radio recently? HELL NO):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli_Vanilli

Also. I'm pretty sure unknown/unpopular artists CAN and often ARE great artists. Many great artists (both musical and visual artists. In addition to MANY MANY MANY authors) are mostly unknown at the time of their greatest creations. Usually pop culture is FAR behind on finding the true great artists, and the scum somehow boils to the top and gets the success immediately (but that fizzles away and no one eventually cares about them anymore). And pop culture seems to make a lot of mistakes and overlooks lots of great things until other artists show pop culture that those artists were great (Velvet Underground are a PERFECT example)

DO you really think people are going to remember that Limp Bizkit record over a Nirvana record? EVEN THOUGH LIMP BIZKIT SOLD WAY MORE RECORDS??
The answer is no.

I think you need to learn some music/art history and stop listening to yr Milli Vanilli records whilst sipping Mama Kool Aid.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:24 am

Ron Keeley wrote:

There, I said it!

WHO THE FUCK IS NULL DEVICE?
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 am

defactobrigade wrote:
Ron Keeley wrote:

There, I said it!

WHO THE FUCK IS NULL DEVICE?

Oh I get it (from their record label's site):
"One of the most promising Electronica acts to come out of the US are the duo called Null Device."

Yet the picture is of a four piece. Whooops.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music