MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Light Drizzle Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Local Bands with the Biggest Draw

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Local Bands with the Biggest Draw

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:34 pm

I guess I read "draw" as bands with a dedicated fanbase that turnout for all/most of their show, not necessarily bands that can sell out a large venue.

Blueheels has both a dedicated fanbase and they're capable of selling out big venues- but they haven't been playing Madison as often as late. That's a live show not to miss. I'm not as tuned in (ok, I'm not at all tuned in) to the local jamband scene but it's pretty hoppin'. I think Steve from Steez is one of the best at promoting his band's gigs.

And how in the world could I have missed tipping the hat to Screamin' Cyn Cyn and the Pons?! such a fun live show. I was sleepy last night/this morning. United Sons of Toil too.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Blueheels has both a dedicated fanbase and they're capable of selling out big venues- but they haven't been playing Madison as often as late.

I was going to list the Blueheels, but I don't think they are playing any shows. Nothing on their myspace and their website is just a picture of the band.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Screamin Cyn Cyn!
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:19 pm

And the Pons!

also. Shane Shane!
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 am

eriedasch wrote:
swoon_queen wrote:Blueheels has both a dedicated fanbase and they're capable of selling out big venues- but they haven't been playing Madison as often as late.

I was going to list the Blueheels, but I don't think they are playing any shows. Nothing on their myspace and their website is just a picture of the band.

Yeah I don't think they've played a show in 2011 yet, and if they have it was probably Cranky Pat's. I saw them last year and there had been talk of a new album but I don't know what became of it. I know their drummer was playing in Screeching Weasel and was on tour in SXSW when Ben Weasel went off the rails so that may explain part of the hiatus. Man, I'd love to see them again.

I also really enjoy seeing Westside Andy & Mel Ford from time to time in Middleton, especially at the Capital Bier Garten. Same with Tony Casteneda, who's playing there tomorrow night.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 am

It's not a HUGE draw (at least, not in their hometown, for some reason. They're big in europe, though. No, really!), but Caustic has a devoted, energetic and, rabid following. Not "rabid" in the "they're really excitable" but "rabid" in that "they all have rabies."

(I blame those dieseased racoons Matt set loose at that one show.)

So if you like angry, punky noise-core, they're fun.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 am

wallrock wrote:
eriedasch wrote:

I know their drummer was playing in Screeching Weasel and was on tour in SXSW when Ben Weasel went off the rails so that may explain part of the hiatus. Man, I'd love to see them again.

Wouldn't this give them MORE time to play now? They all quit that band.
I know two of the guys from that band and one of them has been playing with his other two bands a whole lot after that happened, so I don't see how that would cause more of a hiatus. It would make me want to distance myself from that band by doing something else none-related. I just think the Blueheels aren't really playing many shows anymore (nothing to do with Ben Weasel and his weaselness/doucheness)
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 am

defactobrigade wrote:Wouldn't this give them MORE time to play now? They all quit that band.
I know two of the guys from that band and one of them has been playing with his other two bands a whole lot after that happened, so I don't see how that would cause more of a hiatus. It would make me want to distance myself from that band by doing something else none-related. I just think the Blueheels aren't really playing many shows anymore (nothing to do with Ben Weasel and his weaselness/doucheness)

Oh, definitely. I was only thinking about the first part of 2011. I don't know what's up now.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I've been catching a few Weapons Of Mass Defunktion shows as of late and they're just getting better and better.

I also second whoever mentioned Natty.

Love a Natty show every time. And even if you don't toke, you're still going home high.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:38 am

I think we're all tied for last.
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Cribshitter has taken the Badger Bowl, so I vote for them.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Cribshitter's draw is the stuff of legends. Picture the Beatles without George's unibrow and you have a sense of the sheer teenage lust that they generate.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:42 pm

I love youse guys. :wink:
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Madison Music