MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Stoughton Opera House 2011-2012

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Stoughton Opera House 2011-2012

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 am

Huckleby wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Richard Thompson. Dar Williams. Nanci Griffith. George Winston. John Scofield. Tony Rice. Peter Rowan. Carolina Chocolate Drops. Jake Shimabukuro. Del McCoury. The Seldom Scene. Steven Wright.
Dan Hicks and the Hot Freakin' Licks. Local faves Peter & Lou Berryman and Harmonious Wail.

Lots of great shows there, if I had to pick one I'd go to Richard Thompson.
They certainly are appealing to a seasoned demographic. They may need to install an elevator.

Yes, that 2011-2012 lineup was great, and pretty well attended, seasoned or unseasoned demographic. The 2012-2013 one was equally good. And they already have an elevator, a very small, very slow elevator, but an elevator nonetheless.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby clyde » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Do they sell beer at shows? We'd really like to check this place out - its been on our list for a while - but beer is a requirement for us. :lol:
clyde

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 pm

clyde wrote:Do they sell beer at shows? We'd really like to check this place out - its been on our list for a while - but beer is a requirement for us. :lol:

No beer. In fact I don't think they sell anything. Which kind of surprised me as they could be making a killing on concessions. There is a water fountain. Maybe it varies from show to show, but when I saw Ricky Skaggs I think the only thing being sold were CDs and other band merchandise. Seemed like there were people with water bottles.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Chinaski » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm

When I went and saw Michael Perry there I found a half empty bottle of Old Crow under my seat. I'm guessing it was left from a previous performance ? You would think at the Opera House patrons would have the decency to use a flask.
Henry Chinaski

Postby scratch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 pm

eriedasch wrote:
clyde wrote:Do they sell beer at shows? We'd really like to check this place out - its been on our list for a while - but beer is a requirement for us. :lol:

No beer. In fact I don't think they sell anything. Which kind of surprised me as they could be making a killing on concessions. There is a water fountain. Maybe it varies from show to show, but when I saw Ricky Skaggs I think the only thing being sold were CDs and other band merchandise. Seemed like there were people with water bottles.

I believe the short answer for why they don't sell beer is that the city owns the place. Offering appropriate refreshments has been discussed, but so far only very quietly.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music