MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison needs to get serious about supporting local music

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Madison needs to get serious about supporting local musi

Postby NullDevice » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Madison is, in fact, a pretty small city. By that virtue alone we'll never have the artistic clout of a larger city - there's simply not the population for it.

That said, there are certain things that could improve the standing of Madison as a "music town." I don't know who would be responsible for these things, but I do think that if more middle-tier national touring acts came through and were properly promoted, it would certainly help the local music scene as well. The Majestic seems to be on that path a bit, bringing in higher-profile "genre" acts that may have skipped Madison in the past. A few more venues doing that might help things a lot.

Just a thought.

Then again, what's really the goal of being a "great music town?" Is it more local act live shows? Is it more local sales? Better attendance at any shows? More artists with national exposure? Is it just being more "artist-friendly? "

I'm curious as to what, exactly, would define such a town. Austin's used as an example a lot around here, but I don't know enough about the Austin music scene to really know the whole of what that entails.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I'd love to see the State Street bars get together and make a serious committment to featuring bands for even just two months in the fall when school is in session and students are feeling especially social. And doing it at a really cheap cover charge (think $2).

Why aren't there bands at pre-Badger football game events at the Regent area bars?

I think weather and suburbia impact Wisconsin's live music scene, too. I'm not going to stick around for a 9 or 10 p.m. show on a Thursday, and I hate parking my car three blocks away from the venue in January. I know, I'm part of the problem as a suburbanite.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby wmhart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Speaking of needing to get serious about supporting local music... this is an EXTREMELY worthy cause:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bes ... ?ref=video
wmhart

Previous

Return to Madison Music