MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The Suburbs are coming!?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

The Suburbs are coming!?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 am

It appears The Suburbs are coming to the Majestic on Sept. 8.

Those of you outside a particular age range might not know that name, but The Suburbs were, for a time, the biggest act in Minneapolis not known for wearing purple. While Husker Du and the Replacements were doing their thing and building audiences around the country, The Suburbs were playing to huge crowds at home. But they never quite broke out of the region. They played a couple dances at my high school in '86 and '87, but even that was sort of at the tail end of new wave.

I'm told they had a big following in Madison, but I don't remember them coming to town after I got here. I do remember seeing their logo stenciled on the basement wall of some frat house.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Suburbs are coming!?

Postby The Center Square » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 am

COWS
THEN
AND
NOW

SUBURBS -> BEST BAND LOGO EVER*

*My 16 year old self made that grandiose statement
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby dead ed » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Not to be a downer or anything, but one of the original members is dead, so he probably won't be attending. But hey, that makes it a real rock n roll reunion, right?

I had so much fun at those Merlyns shows that I'll probably go to this and be disappointed that it didn't live up to my memories of them.
dead ed
dead ed

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 pm

The video for "Love is the Law" is one of the chief reasons I ended up attending college in Minnesota.

"...people breaking the law
Just to make ends meet
People breaking their hearts
Just to stay on the street..."
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Not that specific video, but that look prompted me to buy an overcoat at Tatters. And put a couple 1" buttons on the lapel.

I had some big-ass clear frames back then. Like the kind a hipster kid would kill for today.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DRAGONBOYGNARLY64 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 pm

They were a great band that wore suits and scarves and looked kinda like the Twin Cities version of Squeeze, but their music speaks for itself. The only thing you never get off of studio recordings is what the band was ACTUALLY LIKE, I mean, as in LIVE IN CONCERT. And that folks, I really can't describe other than to say that they were much better showmen than The Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, The Mighty Mofos, and (barf) Trip Shakespeare (barf again, double, triple barf, one of those barfs when you start to wonder if you'll ever stop barfing).

Some videos of recent reunion gigs at First Avenue look and sound okay, but without the LATE GREAT BRUCE G. ALLEN, the lead guitarist and thus the cornerstone of their sound, as well as the designer of their very cool logo who died in December '09, pour moi it may be hard to watch 'em. Saw 'em for the first time at Merlyn's, and another memorable performance was at Halloween on State Street. Very cool band, excellent musicians/songwriters/perfomers, and fun/funny guys to hang out with to boot. :mrgreen:
DRAGONBOYGNARLY64

Postby DRAGONBOYGNARLY64 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 pm

DRAGONBOYGNARLY64 wrote: but without the LATE GREAT BRUCE G. ALLEN, the lead guitarist and thus the cornerstone of their sound, as well as the designer of their very cool logo who died in December '09,

CORRECTION: BRUCE C. ALLEN, HIS OBIT FROM THE STAR-TRIBUNE IS AVAILABLE ONLINE.
DRAGONBOYGNARLY64

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 am

Tonight is the night to Hobnob with the executives!!
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music