MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Rock of Ages (?!)

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Rock of Ages (?!)

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Who and I mean WHO is this aural dreckfest aimed at? The minute rock passes from the concert stage to the carefully choreographed theatrical stage, it loses all rights to the name. (And yes, I don't care if Tina Fucking Turner is the Acid Queen, that goes for Tommy too!)

Who's going? Seriously, somebody here is looking forward to this and I'd love it if you could (attempt to) explain its appeal to me. I see the commercial sometimes at night when I'm waiting to catch Letterman's monologue or whatever and I can't help but laugh and get pissed off and the cultural mudslide that is popular art in America all at once.

Show yourselves. You're all hiding behind screen names anyway, so just fess up. My guess is everyone going to this thing already has tickets to the nearest Trans-Siberian Dorkestra production as well, yes? Is Manhoodless Steamblower still touring too, or did someone grant my Christmas wish early and run those fuckers' bus off a goddamn cliff?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rock of Ages (?!)

Postby Stomach » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Before I even got to the end of your post I decided that Rock Of Ages is replacing the Trans-Siberian Orchestra this year.

A trip to their web site seems to confirm this.

http://www.trans-siberian.com/tour1/index.php

Also, since they are playing in Dayton and Tulsa on the same night it appears there is more than one TSO. OMG! Fear not, they will be in Milwaukee at the end of the month.

To be honest, I don't know anything about Rock of Ages but now I want to go, just to upset you.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm

I liked the movie and said so in my Isthmus review. I received an angry email from someone who saw the film on the strength of my recommendation.

Mean Scenester wrote:Who and I mean WHO is this aural dreckfest aimed at? The minute rock passes from the concert stage to the carefully choreographed theatrical stage, it loses all rights to the name.

But the rock this show is based on was dreck to begin with. I think Broadway-style singing improves it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 am

I saw many of the bands whose songs are featured in this show, back when they were big. I would not pay 20 bucks to sit in the front row for this show if it was playing across the street.

It looks like there are *some* okay songs. It's hard to go wrong with Pat Benetar, although the songs that they use in the musical weren't written by her or Neil Geraldo, so they won't see any cash out of the show or movie. I don't like Poison, but never had a problem with "Every Rose", especially compared to their other nonsense. I'm also cool with the Asia and Extreme songs.

Everything else is either bad bands (Whitesnake) or a bad song from a band that had other, non-bad, songs (Def Leppard). All dolled up and arranged for the local Senior High swing choir. I was IN the Senior High swing choir, musicals, etc., but this sounds very uninteresting. The price of a ticket makes the decision even easier. On the other hand, I know a pant load of people that probably will love it. Wooo girls for starters. Moms that thought they were big party gals back in the 80's because they snuck a flask in to the Bon Jovi show. Husbands and boyfriends of the above. Fans of "American Idol". The undead.

I'm holding out hope that a jukebox musical will be made with songs like "Wrathchild". "Answer to the Master", and "Ace of Spades". I will be first in line for those tickets.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:55 pm

I must be old. I saw "Rock of Ages" and immediately thought of The Band's fabulous live album, recorded in 1971.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm

My wife & I went. I won tickets through The Onion. Wouldn't have even considered going otherwise. It truly was a dreckfest. I kept mentally comparing it to other musicals I've seen (I do like the genre). It was like a profane Bye Bye Birdie or something. Will ROA be considered a classic someday too? There were fun characters. Some performances were much better than others. I was pleased to see it was an actual live band on stage playing rather than pre-recorded karaoke (though the drummer was enclosed in a booth separated by glass). The lead guitarist, who was quite good, listed TSO on his resume. Strange was the fact they hadn't gotten the rights to use any music by the Def Leppard. The audience seemed way too happy to hear Final Countdown. It was like watching a crack cover band in which everybody oversings all the songs. Trash.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 pm

supaunknown wrote:It was like a profane Bye Bye Birdie or something. Will ROA be considered a classic someday too? There were fun characters. Some performances were much better than others. I was pleased to see it was an actual live band on stage playing rather than pre-recorded karaoke (though the drummer was enclosed in a booth separated by glass). The lead guitarist, who was quite good, listed TSO on his resume. Strange was the fact they hadn't gotten the rights to use any music by the Def Leppard. The audience seemed way too happy to hear Final Countdown.

I was in Bye Bye Birdie. It was a fun musical for a High School to do during the 80's. I am sure it is not nearly hip enough any more, what with no nudity or swears.

Leppard is probably still doing well enough that they don't need the money. Same for Bon Jovi - but I guess they figured they could always use some more bucks for Sambora's divorces and DUI fines.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

I'm going tonight with my 13 year old son becuse he wants to see it. He enjoyed the movie.

I'm going in with positive attitude just to have fun. I don't expect to love it but hopefully won't hate it either.

However, I may have ruined it for myself by going to see Zappa plays Zappa last night.

Now Dweezil and his band know how to rock. Hey-Zeus
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby Logjam » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:03 pm

mifflander wrote:However, I may have ruined it for myself by going to see Zappa plays Zappa last night.

Now Dweezil and his band know how to rock. Hey-Zeus

Amen to that. Thats the third time I've seen them and the third time they have blown me away. It was, however, the first time I've been at the Barrymore and seen a long line for the men's restroom and absolutely no line for the women's. Not that it was surprising.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Logjam wrote:
mifflander wrote:However, I may have ruined it for myself by going to see Zappa plays Zappa last night.

Now It was, however, the first time I've been at the Barrymore and seen a long line for the men's restroom and absolutely no line for the women's. Not that it was surprising.

The 20-1 man to woman ratio may have had something to do with that. Especially if you add the advanced age of most of the men combined with all the beer they were downing.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music