MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:Fair enough. But the difference is the fellas from Rush and AC/DC don't constantly make themselves publicly known as hateful dickbags.

This is spilling over into the "Personal beliefs of musicians" thread.

Plus they don't wear boat shoes.

-Dan Motor

Thread Title: Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

I think the normal response from just about anyone is 'no', but I think the true response from just about anyone is 'yes'.

Case in point - any card carrying fan of, say, AC/DC, is probably gonna be a "man, I wanna ROCK" kind of guy/gal, one that is primarily a t-shirts/jeans/sneakers and/or boots kind of person.

And yet - this very type of person tends to be suspicious of, oh, let's say, boat shoes. Now, I don't even know what boat shoes are, but I'm guessing they don't limit one's guitar playing abilities any more than, say, a schoolboy uniform. Maybe they're really comfortable, even. Maybe I should get some!

So yeah, I'm pretty coffee'd up here and rambly, and I'm wondering how much it matters what a band wears. What'cha think?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:25 pm

rrnate wrote:Now, I don't even know what boat shoes are, but I'm guessing they don't limit one's guitar playing abilities any more than, say, a schoolboy uniform. Maybe they're really comfortable, even. Maybe I should get some!

Canvas loafers with laces. I'm guessing you probably already have some.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm

A few years back I saw a local band during FMF and the lead singer was wearing the tightest pair of white jeans biologically possible paired with a Neil Young-style fringed vest. I liked their set but it was difficult getting past that outfit.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Does this include makeup

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

I think the normal response from just about anyone is 'no', but I think the true response from just about anyone is 'yes'.

This. So much of our popular music is just as much branding and image as it is you know, notes 'n stuff. For me personally it wouldn't prevent my enjoyment of the music if I didn't enjoy the image but enjoying the image could be a benefit to the music.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm

They had better wear a beard.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm

"Care" is the important verb here.

As I type this, there's a guy having a smoke across the street from my desk. He's wearing a blanket poncho. I'm not at all familiar with the colors and patterns of various Native American tribes, but this appears to be in keeping with Southwestern themes.

Do I care that he's wearing it? Well, I like that he's wearing it. Seeing him wearing it makes me happy and it also leads me to assume that he's more interesting than the dude who just throws on a black jacket.

People who pay attention to personal style (I'm thinking of people like the Sartorialist, who work hard at documenting what people are wearing in their day-to-day lives) consider it an art form, sort of like a performance in and of itself. Some might say that poncho guy isn't necessarily more interesting as a person because he's wearing a poncho, but I'd counter that simply wearing a poncho is interesting, nothing more needs to be said or analyzed. So to the degree that appreciation is the same as caring, I guess I care about poncho guy.

Remember when that blowhard John Mendels(s)ohn called out local musicians for not dressing well for their performances? Specifically, he was taking to task some jazzers who played a jam session on a weeknight in jeans and t-shirts. I always thought that guy was kind of a fraud and didn't appreciate how he tore into guys playing cover-free shows in neighborhood bars, but if his point was only that audiences won't take you seriously if you're dressed like you're hanging wallpaper, I can understand that.

I think if musicians give fans a little something extra to be invested in, then fans will invest. One of my favorite bands is the Jayhawks and I remember driving by Smart when they were in Madison mixing an album. There were two or three of these vintage cars parked on Baldwin with Minnesota plates and it just totally fit with their whole vibe and I was sucked in just a little more.

Which local band has the best style these days?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm

equals lame in my book, not more interesting. Just a matter of opinion. I do get what you are saying and agree to a certain extent, I just think the poncho analogy is a bit weak.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Sometimes it's more about the musicians are not wearing, man.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 pm

If you're more into what the musicians are wearing or how they look than the music ... either (a) the music sucks or (b) you suck.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I remember Jeck Beck dissing former bandmate Rod Stewart for his love of spandex.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Sometimes it's more about the musicians are not wearing, man.

Awesome.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

minicat wrote:If you're more into what the musicians are wearing or how they look than the music ... either (a) the music sucks or (b) you suck.

Remember that time the Arkoffs all wore suits? That was the best.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

rrnate wrote:
minicat wrote:If you're more into what the musicians are wearing or how they look than the music ... either (a) the music sucks or (b) you suck.

Remember that time the Arkoffs all wore suits? That was the best.

The music already sucked, and us wearing suits made everybody else suck.

What was the question?
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Sometimes it's more about the musicians are not wearing, man.

Like this?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music