MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Do You Care What Musicians Wear?

Postby john_titor » Fri May 31, 2013 4:59 pm

I too noticed the shoe.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby velveteen » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:54 pm

I don't care when they're just practicing, or recording. But assuming we're talking about when we see them playing live somewhere, then yes, I do and I think it makes sense to care.

On stage they're not just making music - they're supposed to be putting on a show, and most of the time they're up there we're usually looking at them while they play. Interesting, sexy, unusual, creative, classy, outrageous costumes are part of the performance and can add to the reason I go to seem someone play live. If their songwriting, playing, the band or even the sound system isn't good then the costumes won't make up for it [but you might still be entertained.] I wouldn't sacrifice the music for the look, e.g. wearing masks or confining clothing that interferes with the ability to play, or spending far more time and money on costumes than on practicing and good instruments. But if the music's taken care of, then you should know that many of us DO appreciate your stage wear - it gives you opportunities to dress in ways you wouldn't normally show off in public, and it indicates that you care about the audience and putting on a good gig for us. So go ahead and glam it up, people!!! Have fun and feel great doing it.
velveteen

Postby magicfingers » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Funny... Madison scenesters talking about what people wear at gigs... Heh... No, that's really funny...
magicfingers

Postby magicfingers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:07 am

You may not care, but the fact is that there isn't a band in Madison that puts on a show that makes anybody not notice what the band is wearing. It would behoove bands in Madison to actually consider their dress. Because honestly they have little to offer if you discount the "show" that they present.
magicfingers

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:35 am

UPDATE: That new Vampire Weekend album is pretty good guys. They may look like doofs, but they're sounding pretty good.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:15 am

relevant ahem:

GWAR OFFICIALLY ENDORSE 2015 NFL SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW PETITION

After a long and wet fart, Oderus continued, “I really don’t think we should be limited to playing the halftime show…I am offering GWAR as an actual team that could complete in the NFL. Think of the titanic struggle involved as the NFL submits their best players, hell, we could play against all the teams at once and still emerge victorious. For too long has the NFL ignored the obvious fact that the players should be naked, blind-folded and armed with battle axes, that land mines should litter the field and whalers should hurl harpoons randomly from the stands. GWAR is throwing our entire cosmic weight (and we are fairly hefty) behind this petition, and command all of our followers, their families, and indeed anybody who has ever existed to sign this fucking thing, and in fact for those who have already signed it to create multiple fake email addresses and sign it again!”

Fuck. Yes.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:relevant ahem:

GWAR OFFICIALLY ENDORSE 2015 NFL SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW PETITION

After a long and wet fart, Oderus continued, “I really don’t think we should be limited to playing the halftime show…I am offering GWAR as an actual team that could complete in the NFL. Think of the titanic struggle involved as the NFL submits their best players, hell, we could play against all the teams at once and still emerge victorious. For too long has the NFL ignored the obvious fact that the players should be naked, blind-folded and armed with battle axes, that land mines should litter the field and whalers should hurl harpoons randomly from the stands. GWAR is throwing our entire cosmic weight (and we are fairly hefty) behind this petition, and command all of our followers, their families, and indeed anybody who has ever existed to sign this fucking thing, and in fact for those who have already signed it to create multiple fake email addresses and sign it again!”

Fuck. Yes.

-Dan Motor

Holy mother of sweet (and tasty!) baby Jesus, that would be awesome...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wesconsin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm

If you care about what they are wearing - you are doing it wrong

Would a man wearing a dress increase the quality of music?
How about a nude man?
How about a man wearing jeans and tshirt?

The music will not change - and that is what matters. If you are concerned with image than please go ahead and go watch American Idol.
wesconsin

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

So because I don't want a band to be wearing stupid shit, that means that I am a air-headed mainstream teenager? Does not compute.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby wesconsin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Just run it over one more time, see what you come up with. You will understand eventually.
wesconsin

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 pm

>>If you care about what they are wearing - you are doing it wrong
I've been doing it a long time and not doing it wrong.

>Would a man wearing a dress increase the quality of music?
No. it would decrease it because that would be fucking retarded.

>How about a nude man?
No thanks. I've seen GG Allin

>How about a man wearing jeans and tshirt?
No I can concentrate on the music.

>The music will not change - and that is what matters.
But people that wear costumes or dockers or some other stupid shit are MUCH more likely to play horrible music.

>If you are concerned with image than please go ahead and go watch American Idol.
I have never once watched American idol.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:47 pm

magicfingers wrote:You may not care, but the fact is that there isn't a band in Madison that puts on a show that makes anybody not notice what the band is wearing. It would behoove bands in Madison to actually consider their dress. Because honestly they have little to offer if you discount the "show" that they present.

This is demonstrably false. Also, you are a fucking prat. What fucking band are YOU in?
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby penquin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:04 pm

If the only thing you're worried about is The Music, then yup, the clothes don't matter at all. Neither do the lights on stage, line-of-sight for the fans, banter/segues between songs, stage design, and all kinds of other stuff....none of that has anything at all to do with The Music.

But if you have a desire to entertain people and put on an actual performance, then ya might want to consider more than just The Music.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Exactly. I've gone to see bands that I was super excited about and they turned out to be really boring or looked like tools on stage or whatever. Takes away from the whole package.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm

flanneljammies wrote:>Would a man wearing a dress increase the quality of music?
No. it would decrease it because that would be fucking retarded.

Nobody here is a Phish phan? That kinda surprises me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music