MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Acoustics at the Majestic

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Acoustics at the Majestic

Postby regnaD kciN » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:06 am

I'm sure this isn't a new topic and it probably has been beat to death, but here goes - What's with the acoustics at the Majestic?
Granted, I'm an out-of towner and don't make a lot of shows. Thelast show I was at was Robert Earl Keen. The solo girl who opened sounded good, and REK sounded good early on, but as he got more electric the sound got more
"muddled". Looking for more input and if any fixes have been tried.
Thanks - I'll be listening.
regnaD kciN

Re: Acoustics at the Majestic

Postby wallrock » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 am

My experience is that it's mostly due to where one stands in the venue. At the Lucero show two months back I was on the floor in front of the stage and the sound was exceptional. My parents were back by the bar on the railing and said that sound was muffled and the vocals hard to discern. I haven't been up in the balcony for quite some time but I remember there being an echo-type of reverberation toward the back.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah, it's hugely dependent on positioning. It's an oddly-shaped, very tall venue with a lot of hard surfaces. While they could probably put in some diffuser clouds or bass traps or something, the fact of the matter is it's a long, tall, narrow space.

It's still like a million billion times better than The Rave, where the best sound for a show can be had in the parking lot behind the venue.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Standing in front of the stage it's one of my favorite rooms. Everywhere else in the venue not so much.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:59 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Standing in front of the stage it's one of my favorite rooms. Everywhere else in the venue not so much.

I've had good luck standing in front of the sound board.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Let's get super technical: When the Majestic was built (as a vaudeville theatre), did the performers use amplification?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Let's get super technical: When the Majestic was built (as a vaudeville theatre), did the performers use amplification?

There are things they can do to improve the space. Acoustic treatments and loudspeakers to fill in the dead/awful spots. They dropped a boat load on the PA. Time to drop some on the room. It is one of my favorite places to see a show but only because I know where to hang out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Let's get super technical: When the Majestic was built (as a vaudeville theatre), did the performers use amplification?

There are things they can do to improve the space. Acoustic treatments and loudspeakers to fill in the dead/awful spots. They dropped a boat load on the PA. Time to drop some on the room. It is one of my favorite places to see a show but only because I know where to hang out.

Oh I hear ya (pun intended). It just helps to go all the way back to the beginning to know what the original framers of the Majestic intended before you start adding amendments.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music