MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Make Music Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Make Music Madison

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Meh. Y'ask me, musicians who can't master the art of shitting nickels while they play don't deserve compensation.

Hey man, I'm a stamp collector and nobody's paying me for my hobby. So take that whine back to the cellar, harumph, harumph, harumph.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Meh. Y'ask me, musicians who can't master the art of shitting nickels while they play don't deserve compensation.

Hey man, I'm a stamp collector and nobody's paying me for my hobby. So take that whine back to the cellar, harumph, harumph, harumph.

My problem with what you are saying here is that your saying hobbies can't be jobs and also music can only be a hobby.

I'm pretty sure stamp collecting and music are not at the same level.

I've never seen a TV show about stamp collecting where they have whole TV stations MTV & VH1 dedicated to music.

Also I have not heard them talk much about stamp collecting on the radio but they have radio station talking and playing music all the time.

So stamp collecting is just not as popular and music or maybe you could make money at it.

I think if you did want to make money on stamp collecting you might have to have coin collecting on the side.

Music is not just a hobby but an industry and that is why musicians should get paid.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

Meanie is being facetious.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Make Music Madison currently has a survey up on what people thought of the event:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8QC9KQR
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Perhaps a more suitable analogy would be Tennis. There are people who are very good at Tennis who make a handsome living playing. There are people who play semi-professionally and make enough money to survive and continue. There are people who enjoy Tennis as recreation. I have no objection to the city spending money to subsidize tennis courts in city parks.

There are holes in this analogy, don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge fan of the way MMM was organized and funded, but I'm on board with encouraging amateur musicians to play out and enjoy the art.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm

I wanted to share my thoughts on the Make (Soglin's) Mustache Madison thingy. My band played at Elvehjem Park with some great local bands (and one from Montreal). The whole thing was organized by the people at Jonk Music (music blog) and they did a bang-up job. They put together a good bill, secured an ample PA, ran sound, provided beverages for the bands, planned well for weather complications, and promoted it well (they shot/edited 60 sec. promo videos for each band). I would estimate that throughout the day there were roughly 150-200 people there. Bands didn't get paid but it was a really fun show to play and a great event to be a part of. I give 95% of the props to the people at Jonk for making it a great event. They put a ton of work into making it a good thing. The city/MMM people get the remaining 5% props. They really just provided a half-baked idea and a date for it to happen (and I believe the leniency to make noise in that park until 9pm).

I'm not at all associated with Jonk Music, I'm merely giving credit where credit is due (for my particular event). Overall, the MMM people had their hearts in the right place but considering they had $25k to play with, I don't think they had a clue what they were doing. As mentioned the website was a disaster. They made it a very cumbersome process to even register for the event. The artists not getting paid thing has been debated already so I'll leave that alone. But perhaps worst of all, they did this: MMM sent out emails to all the artists & volunteers asking for monetary donations for "promotional materials", etc. for the event. I found that pretty tacky considering the artists were already playing for free. It just further illustrated that the powers behind this thing really had no idea what they were doing.

Overall, it was a good try and I hope it got more people out of their caves to experience live music who normally would not. Hopefully P-Sogs made it out to some of the events. Hopefully he wasn't wearing one of those early 90s black & white silk bowling shirts that Vince Vaughn wore in Swingers. I recently saw news footage of him wearing one of those shirts to a city council meeting. "Ok so I'm the asshole here!!"
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Madison Music