MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Make Music Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Make Music Madison

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I didn't even realize this was happening on a Friday. I understand it's to coordinate with the solstice, but many of the events are happening during the day when people are working.

Anyone taking off of work to see the music?

If they try it again next year at least it would be on a Saturday.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Does anyone know what the much referenced $25K actually was used for?
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am

I thought it was cool. Everywhere I went Friday afternoon somebody was playing something. The randomness was part of the appeal -- running into music here and there without having to purposely go any particular place to see it.

I especially liked the bunch of fiddlers in the tall grass next to the bike path.

Plenty of the music was still happening late in the afternoon when people were getting off work. I think Friday afternoon was a better time than Saturday would have been.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:57 am

Glad it was cool, but was it 25k cool?

None of the musicians were paid, remember. It's hard to see how not paying fiddlers standing in the grass costs 25 thousand dollars.

I guess they had to pay someone for this terrible website http://www.makemusicmadison.org/

but really, the whole thing feels uncomfortably like an Amanda Palmer deal....
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 pm

I walked down State Street on my way home and it was nice to see a bunch of music, but why can't it be like that all the time on State Street. Pretty much every one was playing some folksy music with two guitars or something, but was still nice to see.

I don't see how this cost so much to put on and on top of not throwing a bone to the artist, every set up had a whole bunch of signs all about Make Music Madison, yet nothing about the artists. This includes the ones standing right there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I wonder how a mayoral press conference, covered by all the mainstream media outlets, might affect such a weekend. I wonder why the city has never officially stood up and touted its current crop of music venues, which generate so much tax revenue and help keep Madison livable.

I was thinking the same thing. I first heard about this late last week and I was surprised. I keep on on local events and so far the publicity , imho, has been for crap.

I was also surprised that none of the musicians get paid.

I'm curious what musicians think about this event. I realize it's basically an international thing, but somehow I feel like the city's participation is disingenuous.

I at first was interested but after I saw we weren't allowed to ask for money I decided to cancel because I feel musicians should get paid.

I think the city should have a day where night clubs and bars and people sponsor bands and musicians.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 pm

artpaul wrote:I at first was interested but after I saw we weren't allowed to ask for money I decided to cancel because I feel musicians should get paid.

So you couldn't even put a tip jar out? Now that is really lame.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:10 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Glad it was cool, but was it 25k cool?

None of the musicians were paid, remember. It's hard to see how not paying fiddlers standing in the grass costs 25 thousand dollars.

I guess they had to pay someone for this terrible website http://www.makemusicmadison.org/

The fact that someone actually did get paid burns me all the more and makes me glad that I canceled because if someone is getting paid then maybe everyone should be getting paid.
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:17 pm

I live close to the Bear Indian Mound, one of the sites for performers. A couple days before the Solstice, I noticed two guys mowing the grass on the mound and barricades to close the street were dropped off (and later picked up). I assume that was part of the expense. Don't know if many other performance sites also incurred similar costs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I walked down State Street on my way home and it was nice to see a bunch of music, but why can't it be like that all the time on State Street. Pretty much every one was playing some folksy music with two guitars or something, but was still nice to see.

I don't see how this cost so much to put on and on top of not throwing a bone to the artist, every set up had a whole bunch of signs all about Make Music Madison, yet nothing about the artists. This includes the ones standing right there.

Yes that's another thing Musicians can set up anytime they want on State street and they don't even need to play for free they can [play for tips do we need an event that cost $25k to get musicians to play on State street ?
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I would have actually preferred if they used some of the funds to stimulate, you know, an audience. Look at the pictures. Tell me what's missing.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby artpaul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Yes and when I was trying to figure out there website I had problems so I hope if they hired someone to do the website next year they ought to hire someone to make a better website that is easier to figure out.

But if they are expecting musicians to play for free next year I won't be interested.

If they can't pay the musicians to play maybe they can get organizations like restaurants to give $25 gift certificates ?
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:00 pm

artpaul wrote:

The fact that someone actually did get paid burns me all the more and makes me glad that I canceled because if someone is getting paid then maybe everyone should be getting paid.

I'm having trouble believing someone got paid for that. There's no "built by" comments in the source code and no "email the webmaster with website problems" links. Looks more to me like somebody's cousin with wordpress.

I agree that if they spent 25k, somebody somewhere got paid but I sure hope not much of it went to the web page.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:Does anyone know what the much referenced $25K actually was used for?

I found this in the article I linked:
And, naturally, no one will be compensated, except the festival itself, which has received $25,000 from the city of Madison. Rothschild has indicated that only $20,000 of that is available and the city will retain $5,000 for unforeseen expenses. $16,000 of the grant will go to pay a staff person. The remaining money will be used for other expenses including liability insurance. Rothschild does not expect the event to be in the black but they are accepting donations.

I also read somewhere (comments after Rick's article?) where the web designer also donated their time.

I interpreted this as a non-musician (staff person) making the bulk of the money - $16K.

I was about ready to complain that the Make Me Madison website did not even have links to the established bands' own websites, but they do. They are just not very easy to find. First you have to click on the map of the event - this can be tricky to get a specific event as many are right on top of each other. Once you have the event details displayed if you happen to click on the band picture, when the picture displays, then you see a link to Artist's Website. Regardless, they do not make it easy to find more band info. At the very least I would like to see a complete list of all the bands that performed w/ links right next to their names.

I understand they involved a crap load of bands, but still trying to figure out who really benefited from the money that was donated by the city other than the paid staff person.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Wasn't there advertising in Isthmus for the event? (Today was recycling day and I don't have the paper any more.) Was that part of the expenses?

Even so, free advertising for the musicians isn't the same as compensation. Tip jars shouldn't be forbidden -- what's the harm of those?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music