MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Busking on State Street

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Busking on State Street

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 am

In a recent column for The Mountain Press, the Sevierville, Tenn., paper where I work now, I wrote about busking on State Street. It has its rewards. Have you had much luck busking there?

On a pleasant day, playing music outside is fun. It’s nice to see people smile when they hear a song they like. At places like State Street and Market Square, people tend to be in a festival mood, so impromptu singing and dancing may break out.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Busking on State Street

Postby magicfingers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:11 am

The last time I busked on State St. (~20 yrs. ago) I made enough to get a sandwich and enough gas to get me home (Waukesha) in an afternoon. I can't speak to what one could expect to make these days.
magicfingers

Re: Busking on State Street

Postby artpaul » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:27 pm

I think when people busk they don't always think about the time of the day and where is a good spot or whether they should perform by themselves or with others.

I like afternoons or evenings better then mornings because people are in a better mood.

And a weekend day will work a lot better then a Monday or Tuesday because people spend their money more on the weekend.

But one thing about state street is you might want to do it for awhile to give the people a chance to get to know you before you assume you deserve good tips.

And the reason I mention groups is more people will stop and listen to a group then will stop for just one performer.

Hey maybe I'll see you down there when the weather gets better
artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music