MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Do you like SMOKE FREE shows as much as I do?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 25

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby regnad_kcin » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:40 pm

jhain wrote:
I used to be iffy on shows at Montmartre but they have come a long way as a venue. Their new stage and sound system are really nice and it is much less "talkie" than it used to be. Give credit where it is due - they take the music part of the business pretty seriously.

But what I'm trying to say is that I'm too cool for school. Dig?

I'm here to make the cheap shots, from the cheap seats.

Besides-- last time I was there, we ordered four simple rail cocktails and the bill nearly hit $30. Perhaps we were overcharged, 'cause that's robbery.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:28 am

regnad_kcin wrote:But what I'm trying to say is that I'm too cool for school. Dig?

Besides-- last time I was there, we ordered four simple rail cocktails and the bill nearly hit $30. Perhaps we were overcharged, 'cause that's robbery.

usually what i get costs 5 or 6 bucks pretty much anywhere. another 50 cents plus tip times 4 can easily approach 30.. sounds more like math than robbery.. i'll agree that drinks are always more than i expect at bars but i don't think momo is really different than other madison bars. which are all cheaper than chicago or milwaukee or minneapolis..
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tara » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:28 am

Town Crier wrote: In spite of that attempts to outlaw the act offend me and outrage me even more. Being a free society means tolerating things that you don't like. If you can't defend the other guy's freedom, you don't deserve any.

Tolerance is ideal. When I was a smoker and hung out with non-smoking friends or children I took extra steps to not affect their breathing environment. I tolerated their need for fresh air. Just because I wasn't concerned with my respiratory health doesn't mean being insensitive others needs. Whose rights are we talking about here anyway. Smokers can still smoke, just step outside! You are free to smoke, just take the extra effort. Don't be lazy.
The smoke in bars/venues effects not only the patrons but the employees. Not all bar employees smoke and it creates a hazardous work environment for these people.
Tara

Postby emmy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:35 am

Then don't work there!! Dah :roll:
emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby btrapp » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:25 am

bobbyray wrote:Another relevant aspect of this issue we haven't discussed in this thread is enforcement.

I beleive the police are gonna be kept hopping when this ban is in effect. I know a few people who have already stated that if they see anyone smoking in a bar, they are gonna call "911" and let the police know that their life is being threatened right then&there.....('cause 2cd hand smoke can kill you, right?)
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:27 am

jhain wrote:
regnad_kcin wrote:But what I'm trying to say is that I'm too cool for school. Dig?

usually what i get costs 5 or 6 bucks pretty much anywhere. another 50 cents plus tip times 4 can easily approach 30.. sounds more like math than robbery.. i'll agree that drinks are always more than i expect at bars but i don't think momo is really different than other madison bars. which are all cheaper than chicago or milwaukee or minneapolis..

Wow, $5-6 per drink? I would rather drink at home. At least at home, my scene which includes 3 dogs, provides a more engaging and real social situation. My dogs don't pontificate about Progressive Dane and Middleton Hills all night.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:30 am

juanton wrote:
jhain wrote:

Wow, $5-6 per drink? I would rather drink at home.

Yeah, exactly. We weren't ordering Long Islands or Chocolate Martinis or anything remotely complicated: rail whiskey + coke + ice. Not difficult, not expensive, not worth $5. This is why they make flasks, I suppose...
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:42 am

Town Crier wrote:This is not really Town Crier

ShaneDog wrote:I challange anyone to find a peer-reviewed study that shows that a smoking ban caused a negative impact on sales at bars. BTW, I'm a light smoker and I can't wait for the day that smoking is banned just about everywhere.

How about I put you in touch with a few bar owners who have suffered a negative impact?

Sorry, anecdotal evidence isn't going to cut it here. Of course, there will be instances where a bar's sales suffer but laws aren't crafted that way. Let's see some evidence that a smoking ban will harm bars in general.
If you are a smoker why do you want smoking banned?

Because it's harmful to people's health.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:17 am

regnad_kcin wrote:
juanton wrote:
jhain wrote:

Wow, $5-6 per drink? I would rather drink at home.

Yeah, exactly. We weren't ordering Long Islands or Chocolate Martinis or anything remotely complicated: rail whiskey + coke + ice. Not difficult, not expensive, not worth $5. This is why they make flasks, I suppose...

Please tell us where you're finding decent quality drinks in a pleasant environment for substantially less. They can have my business.
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:37 am

bobbyray wrote:Please tell us where you're finding decent quality drinks in a pleasant environment for substantially less. They can have my business.

Oh jesus. It's a two-ingredient drink, and I'm ordering the rail whiskey for chrissakes, because anything better would be a waste of good liquor. It's cheap, dig? $3 would be the standard "crappy" price anywhere else. Now that we've ruled out "decent quality", are you saying the extra $2 is going towards "pleasant environment"?

I wasn't drinking at MM because I like the atmosphere (I don't)-- a friend's band was playing there. It was packed. No standing room. Great, right? Not really. If the asshats at the tables-- completely uninterested in the band, mind you-- had peeled butts from seats and found another place to converse about strollers, volvos, eyewear and the like, I would have actually had room to hold my drink and see the band.

So yeah, I bet the place would work fine if you were there to see something of marginal interest on a slow night. But at $5 a drink with no room to drink it, I'd had enough and left. You know, I think that's the problem-- people go there because "it's Montmarte" and that in itself justifies the visit (and, as follows, the inflated drink prices). If you're into the idea of "going out to a club" you'd like it; going there specifically for the entertainment, though, prepare for the "atmosphere" tax.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:40 am

regnad_kcin wrote:
bobbyray wrote:Please tell us where you're finding decent quality drinks in a pleasant environment for substantially less. They can have my business.

Oh jesus. It's a two-ingredient drink, and I'm ordering the rail whiskey for chrissakes, because anything better would be a waste of good liquor. It's cheap, dig? $3 would be the standard "crappy" price anywhere else. Now that we've ruled out "decent quality", are you saying the extra $2 is going towards "pleasant environment"?

No, fella, simmer down. I'm asking you where you've been drinking for cheap so I can go there. There's cheap and then there's cheap--a lot of variety in how different bars serve rail drinks, water down their liquor, measure their shots, etc.. As for atmo, I just don't want to step in a urine puddle or get punched. So I'm just asking: Where can you get a decent drink for cheap, minus the pee and pain.
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:05 am

bobbyray wrote:As for atmo, I just don't want to step in a urine puddle or get punched.

I guess that's one more person I'm not inviting into my home anytime soon.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:37 pm

Drink prices be what they may, I'm very excited to see Andrew Bird there end of June.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby jhain » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:21 pm

curiouslystrong wrote:Drink prices be what they may, I'm very excited to see Andrew Bird there end of June.

And Faun Fables next Tuesday!

On the drink thing, bobbyray is right. It is hard to find a drink for less unless it is watered down or mixed w/ lesser liquor. There are a number of bars that I don't ever order a drink b/c of this. Momo may be pricey for some but I've never been served anything other than what I ordered.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Nora O'Connor smoke-free

Postby teddymanny » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:21 pm

For the record, Nora O'Connor notes on Myspace that she's pregnant and that has something to do with the show being
smoke-free.

On the subject of drink prices: You're not going to go much of
anywhere these days and find nightclubs with live music or
name DJs that don't charge pretty significant prices for the hard stuff. I agree that prices for rail booze can seem steep, but when places are charging $4 and $5 for a "craft" tap beer, that's bound to happen. My advice is to sip, sip, sip decent whiskey. It's more expensive, but it'll last longer, taste better and have the same effect.
teddymanny

Previous

Return to Madison Music