MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What The Hell Is Wrong With Prof. Wagstaff?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Does far too many drugs...
No votes
Does far too few drugs...
21%
Is allergic to brevity...
31%
Glued to his computer chair...
14%
Actually Prince...
14%
Wishes he were Prince...
7%
Unable to distinguish wheat from chaff...
14%

Total votes : 29

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:26 am

OK... so my girlfriend innocently asked me for a Prince mix over the weekend. Always happy to oblige, I began work this afternoon around 3:00PM... Now, 12 hours later, I have completed it. It's SIX fucking discs (probably not what she had in mind, eh?) So I ask you - what the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I learn to economize? Why is Prince so fucking great? And how did I manage to do this monstrous project without CD copies of Around the World in a Day or Parade???
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shifty » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:34 am

I don't know Wags. If I was your girlfriend, I'd probably be asking if you'd let me dress you. You know, help you pick out your clothes, before we'd go out. Not that you're helpless, but sometimes, sometimes those are things...

Wait a second!

Are you sure that chick isn't just trying to distract you? "Oh, I'll ask him for a Prince compilation. That'll keep him busy while I sneak out to watch the boys in #1 Dad..."
Shifty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:39 pm

HOLY F!!! That's one more disc than the Elvis mix. Somehow that doesn't seem right, Wags. I vote allergic to brevity, but I'll give you props for endurance.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:56 pm

wholly shit batman, Wags has a girlfriend?

.....and did you include "if i was your girlfriend" in the mix?
.....the only song from your two missing albums that i'd include would be "tambourine" ooh so what did you put on there from Lovesexy? :?:
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:29 pm

meowzamusic wrote:wholly shit batman, Wags has a girlfriend?

Did I really say that? Musta been a typo...

meowzamusic wrote:.....and did you include "if i was your girlfriend" in the mix?

Fuck, no. I hate that song, which considering how much I love Prince, is pretty harsh condemnation.
meowzamusic wrote:.....the only song from your two missing albums that i'd include would be "tambourine"

What do you have against "New Position" and "Anotherloverholenyohead" (inexplicably absent from The Hits collection.)
I agree about "Tambourine", but I kinda like "America" too... of course, the two best tracks are on The Hits collection: "Raspberry Beret" and "Pop Life", so that one wasn't such a loss...

meowzamusic wrote: ooh so what did you put on there from Lovesexy? :?:

The first three cuts: "I Know", "Alphabet St." (although I used the single edit) and "Glam Slam" - great tracks all. A bitch to include, however, since Prince decided to make the entire CD one continuous track. Whatta fuckwad.

I woulda posted the track listing, but it's huge, and I didn't really think anyone would care...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:35 pm

I am a Prince fan going back 22 years now but lately the Prince music I've gotten into most has been his most recent, especially his new album "NEWS" and the 3 disc live album he put out last year, also rainbow Children...Prince with live drums, man thats what I've been waiting for for two decades (!)
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:39 pm

auntgoodness wrote:HOLY F!!! That's one more disc than the Elvis mix. Somehow that doesn't seem right, Wags.

Simple mathematics, Auntie.
Elvis songs are almost all in the 2-3 minute range. Prince songs hover in the 5-6 minute range (plus a bunch of 6-12 minute songs for good measure... had I not bothered with disc six, surely the 11�œ minute "Come" would never have made the cut.) Although the years of recording are equal (Elvis 1955-1975; Prince 1978-1998, the arbitrary cut-off for this set), Prince has never strayed too far from quality, whereas the bulk of Elvis' '60s and '70s output was pure dross, to be overly generous. Even Prince's worst albums - Batman is the only album I culled no cuts from, although I did include that era's "200 Balloons" B-side - got represented by at least something. Nothing from Having Fun With Elvis On Stage made the cut for the Elvis set. Oh, plus I had to leave room in the Elvis set for the copious liner notes which will not be an issue for the Prince set. What's there to say about Prince - he fuckin' rawks, end of story. :wink:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:44 pm

AJ Love wrote:I am a Prince fan going back 22 years now but lately the Prince music I've gotten into most has been his most recent, especially his new album "NEWS" and the 3 disc live album he put out last year, also rainbow Children...Prince with live drums, man thats what I've been waiting for for two decades (!)

I don't have much of his newest stuff (the cutoff for this set was New Power Soul which is already 5 years old), although I like what I've heard and his live shows of recent years have been some of the most memorable I've ever seen. I just don't buy a whole lotta music these days (no money; already own more music than I can possibly listen to) but I will say that the bulk of the length problem on this set was my inclusion of endless tracks from the extraordinary Crystal Ball set.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:57 pm

yeah Crystal Ball has some great shit on it, so does Emancipation
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:30 pm

Now that he's got a band with style (the Outtatoons...) his figuritive wang grows an inch a day.

rrnt
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Nothing is wrong with Wagstaff

Postby Pongoid » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:11 pm

Nothing is wrong with Wagstaff that a lobotomy wouldn't cure.

HE is a very smart fellow and by being such he finds very few convincing reasons to do anything.
In that I am in agreement. Most life endeavours have very little value.
Most are self aggrandizing, reckless, instinctual acts predicated on millions of years of evolution.

I like Wags a lot and am glad he is getting boned on a regular basis.
Cheers to a real Madison citizen.
Pongoid
Forum Addict

Re: Nothing is wrong with Wagstaff

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:42 pm

Pongoid wrote:I like Wags a lot and am glad he is getting boned on a regular basis. Cheers to a real Madison citizen.

Stop it, you're embarrassing me... :oops:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:46 pm

No shit?
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:11 pm

Brevity is wit.
6 Cds is too much. (By my reconning)
Even of a goog thing, like Prince.
Burning a CD for another person should be done strictly with that person's tastes in mind.
Does this Girlfriend want "The Complete History of Prince according to proff Wagstaff"?
I don't know, she might be be very touched by such an act of devotion....
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:37 pm

Your picture is on our bathroom wall.

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't put it there. I wish whoever did would have chosen one when you were wearing clothes, though.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to General Music