MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

What Are The Good Paul McCartney Songs?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: What Are The Good Paul McCartney Songs?

Postby rrnate » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:51 am

Bifftar wrote:
rrnate wrote: Okay, I know of a couple, but there has got to be more, right?

I like Jet, Juniors Farm, Live & Let Die - and i don't think this was released, but it's my fave solo McCartney tune:

http://beeftone.com/music/Well_Theres_A_Leak_1.mp3

clocking in at 1:28, it's a great example of what a great, simple songwriter he is. this is the better sounding of 2 versions i have, and on the other he mentions mr. elvis presley - seems like a bit of a tribute, almost.

thanks be to Ken Latchney, Belew's former kengineer who recorded Paul and somehow got the outtake, RIP.

That's pretty good. I definitely agree that he's at his best when he's keeping it simple, and not going (way, way, way) over the top.

--nt--
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 am

That is a good song, but Sir Paul didn't have a damn thing to do with writing it. He undoubtedly learned it from Elvis, who performed it in Love Me Tender. FYI - it's called "We're Gonna Move".

Not surprisingly, I think Elvis does it better, but then, he's got The Jordanaires on his side.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:01 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:That is a good song, but Sir Paul didn't have a damn thing to do with writing it. He undoubtedly learned it from Elvis, who performed it in Love Me Tender.

thanks Prof... shows how much i really know

:wink:

it does show Paul's sense of humor though--you can tell he's being silly. i always gravitate towards that.

the rest of the outtakes include versions of blackbird that he screws up, and a bunch of 'backyard' tunes - no clue whether they are his or covers. obviously!

:roll:

We're Gonna Move: Words & music by Vera Matson - Elvis Presley
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:17 am

Bifftar wrote: We're Gonna Move: Words & music by Vera Matson - Elvis Presley
Is Elvis really still listed as a songwriter?
Actually, the song was written by Ken Darby, an Academy Award and Grammy Award winning songwriter best known for his scoring work with Alfred Newman (on such films as The King and I, West Side Story and How The West Was Won) and his arrangements for the Ken Darby Singers (who can be most famously heard singing backup for der Bingle on "White Christmas".)
When he was "slumming" for the pop industry, he used his wife's name, Vera Matson.
Elvis, of course, never wrote a lick of music in his life, he just collected publishing royalties.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:40 am

nicknice wrote:Temporary Secretary
-way ahead of it's time. sort of pre-new wave, disco-not disco style track. not his usual style.

yeah! i love temporary secretary. i'm a sucker for that whole mccartney 2 album. and i really liked the one that came out last year, chaos and destruction...
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What Are The Good Paul McCartney Songs?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:06 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:--Let Me Roll It

This one was the great surprise for me when McCartney played the Bradley Center a couple of years ago. Didn't see it coming. It rocked.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Bifftar wrote: We're Gonna Move: Words & music by Vera Matson - Elvis Presley
Is Elvis really still listed as a songwriter?
Elvis, of course, never wrote a lick of music in his life, he just collected publishing royalties.

well you must mean after col. tom bilked him out of the most of it... how else is the artist supposed to make any $$, PW?

see Ellington/Mills, EMI/fripp, Warner/Zappa for more etc. in the ripping off of the artist dept.

Elvis' well documented first recorded song at Sun Studios in Memphis was a tune he wrote for his mom - so I'd have to contest he did actually write at least a lick of music, Wag.

which is off the track of PM again, so sorry@!

8)
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:39 pm

The moon is right
The spirits up
Were here tonight
And thats enough
Simply having a wonderful christmastime

Best song ever, mang
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:11 am

Frank Booth wrote:
The moon is right
The spirits up
Were here tonight
And thats enough

Best song ever, mang

Good call Booth! This song is rad, and I'd completely forgotten about it. I've often thought that Paul McCartney would best serve the world by writing Xmas songs, as they're most in line with his lack of lyrical ability.

--nt--
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 am

rrnate wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
The moon is right
The spirits up
Were here tonight
And thats enough

Best song ever, mang

Good call Booth! This song is rad, and I'd completely forgotten about it. I've often thought that Paul McCartney would best serve the world by writing Xmas songs, as they're most in line with his lack of lyrical ability.

--nt--

Hmm yeah and then there's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reggae ...
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:31 am

Bifftar wrote: Elvis' well documented first recorded song at Sun Studios in Memphis was a tune he wrote for his mom - so I'd have to contest he did actually write at least a lick of music, Wag.

Sorry, Biff, but no dice. Elvis recorded that song for his mother because it was one of her favorites, but "My Happiness" was written by Borney Bergantine and Betty Peterson and dates back to at least 1938 (I know, 'cuz that's the year I have a recording of Ella Fitzgerald doing it.)

Elvis was most definitely an original interpreter (I mean, he and Scotty and Bill did invent what was essentially a new form of popular music by fusing disparate elements from multiple styles) but he was not a songwriter by any stretch of the imagination and he would have been the first to admit it.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:56 am

rrnate wrote:["Wonderful Christmastime"] is rad, and I'd completely forgotten about it.
Probably because it's never shown up on any of my annual Xmas mixes and if it ever does you'll know I'm finally scraping the very bottom of a really dreck-filled barrel.

Normally, I'd say "you wouldn't like that song if it didn't say McCartney on the label" but clearly in your case, that ain't so. So defend yourself, knave! And tell me what in the hell anyone could possibly like about it, 'cuz I'm really confused.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:00 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:["Wonderful Christmastime"] is rad, and I'd completely forgotten about it.
Probably because it's never shown up on any of my annual Xmas mixes and if it ever does you'll know I'm finally scraping the very bottom of a really dreck-filled barrel.

Normally, I'd say "you wouldn't like that song if it didn't say McCartney on the label" but clearly in your case, that ain't so. So defend yourself, knave! And tell me what in the hell anyone could possibly like about it, 'cuz I'm really confused.

It's a good tonic to "Happy Xmas (War is Over)," which is a big downer of an Xmas song. (But then the best Xmas songs are the sad ones.)
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:09 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

It's catchy, and I can...uh...shop to it. I think I like the keyboards and the wall of paul vocals.

I think your confusion may come from within, and not from me any my fondness for this tune.

--nt--

PS - I refuse to be called knave in a public forum.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:15 pm

i love war is over, christmas rapping, father christmas, and most of all redd kross' super sunny christmas.
not a huge fan of the mccartney song but i could defend it by saying it's a very happy little christmas ditty in keeping with some more timeless christmas ditties.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music