MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Katy Perry

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Katy Perry

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 am

Awesome!
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:29 pm

I can't help lovin' her song "Firework". Catchy mofo. Great video too.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 pm

"Firework"

DAMN YOU! Now it's in my head too. Groove is in the heart should get it out...... yep.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Groove is in the heart

Jerk.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 pm

If that song is wrong I don't wanna be right.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Ducatista wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Groove is in the heart

Jerk.

That song is so danged catchy, a college friend of mine use to quote the lines "my supper dish, my succotash wish" totally out of context, at seemingly random moments, never when the actual song was playing...

...and it is still stuck in my head.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Come on baby stroke your firework,
come on baby let your semen burst.
Make you say Oh, oh, oh!,
let me milk your balls dry-y-y!
Boom, boom, boom,
do me in the back room, room, room.
It's so deep inside me-ee-ee
And now it's time to let it free-ee-ee.
I'd say it's only a matter of time before she agrees to do a spread in Playboy. I'll have to mark that on my jerk-off calendar.
You have to envy Russell Brand, because you just know, as a self-confessed "former" sex addict, he's doing all sorts of defiling things to turn that young supple 25 year old body out. I see a celebrity sex tape in their future once their careers hit the slow track. But realistically,they'll be divorced before that happens.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Bland » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:51 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I'll have to mark that on my jerk-off calendar.

I wish there was a Katy Perry song catchy enough to earworm its way into my mind and displace the above image. If anyone needs me, I'll be stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Yeah no shit Bland. Way to ruin the song for me MadMind, you fuckin' jerkoff.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:26 pm

In other news, I would like to punch her mastering engineer. I haven't heard anything that overcompressed in years, and I listen to a lot of poorly mastered dance music.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Nathan Rabin comes around, with a thoughtful self-examination that some of you snobs might learn from:
-----------
The concept of a “guilty pleasure” is rooted in our nation’s eternal push-pull between prurience and Puritanism. What’s pleasure without guilt? I’m not sure, but guilt without pleasure is commonly known as “Judaism.” The concept of a “guilty pleasure” flatters us because it implies that we have such rarified, refined taste that we have to turn off our big, beautiful brains to enjoy Jersey Shore and Crank 2 and Drive Angry 3-D. If given our druthers, we’d happily while away the hours at a local arthouse theater catching Ozu retrospectives, but hot damn if our debauched culture doesn’t keep throwing shiny little baubles of entertainment our way. “We’re better than that,” we tell ourselves, even if the enjoyment we experience from irresistible trash tells us otherwise.

That’s how I used to feel about Katy Perry. I deluded myself into imagining that I was somehow above her. Oh sure, I liked all her hits and enjoyed gazing lovingly at her magnificent cleavage, but I was fundamentally anti-Perry. I was so anti-Perry that I lost a lot of respect for Russell Brand when he got engaged to her. I don’t know Perry, but she’s so ubiquitous that I feel like I do. I’ve consequently cobbled together my conception of her through soundbites, advertisements, music videos, Proactiv commercials, talk show appearances, performances, and music videos. That’s how we process celebrities: We develop snap judgments based on the skimpiest of evidence; if someone seems like a prick to David Letterman, then it’s filed away in our minds that the celebrity in question is an asshole in lieu of evidence to the contrary. It’s not fair, but it is how our minds tend to operate.

So when I decided that I did not care for Perry, I was responding to her public persona rather than her true self. From a marketing standpoint, Perry’s “Zooey Deschanel as slutty ’80s drag queen” persona is brilliant, but it’s not designed to win much in the way of critical respect. So what if everything about Perry’s persona reeks of cynical calculation, from the lipstick lesbianism and Jill Sobule swagger-jacking of “I Kissed A Girl” to song titles like “Teenage Dream” and “California Gurls”? Who ever said pop stars had to be authentic or sincere? I prefer my pop stars pre-fabricated and achingly insincere.

I used to think I hated Katy Perry until I was forced to admit to myself that I love her songs. That’s all that really matters. Perry fulfills all the requirements of a pop star. She’s hot in a trashy, cleavage-centric way. She performs catchy songs and sleeps with movie stars. She’s so hot she gives Muppets erections, a pop star requirement I wasn’t even aware existed until she fulfilled it. And she does a lot of silent movie star-style mugging with her big doe eyes. I won’t make any claims for her as a serious artist, but she makes damn catchy pop songs. For a good three weeks, I would listen to “California Gurls” every time I needed a quick pick-me-up, which was fairly often. I could claim I only enjoy the song ironically, but that’s just not the case. I genuinely love that song, however ephemeral or silly it might be.

“Hot N Cold” is quintessential Katy Perry, a three-minute-long cotton-candy rush that pairs her heavily Auto-Tuned vocals with waves of cheesy ’80s synths and a monster chorus. In true Perry fashion, it’s naughty in a nice way, a PG-rated version of ’80s sleaze about a man incapable of commitment and a woman tired of putting up with his Hamlet-style indecisiveness. It’s a passive-aggressive kiss-off to a passive-aggressive relationship that can’t last but maddeningly won’t end either. It’s not art, but it is entertainment. Oh Katy, you’re no good for me, but I love you all the same.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/volume-2 ... 008,53178/
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Nathan Rabin comes around, with a thoughtful self-examination that some of you snobs might learn from:
-----------
Who ever said pop stars had to be authentic or sincere? I prefer my pop stars pre-fabricated and achingly insincere.

Paging White Knights, please report to Rebecca Black's room. Please note, you may have to give up the muppet erection prerequisite.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
acereraser wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:Dig, I mostly listen to music that's old, really old, like 20-30, or 50-60, or 300 years ago. But I'm also a fan of modern music. This is going to sound a bit mad, but I mostly want to post this for the record--let's see what's what in two years.

The second major Katy Perry single is also seriously stupendous:

Incredibly apt drum programming.

So, christopher_robin, do you like the song? You are obviously impressed with her business acumen and her production team, and if I ever happen to hear the song, I will give it more attention that I would have otherwise. However, nothing you have said makes me want to seek it out. You make it sound like a concept car, more of an application of design theory than a piece of cool music that sounds fresh and gets you dancin' the first and twentieth time you hear it. Is it all just ones and zeros to you now? Are you in the Matrix? OK, I took it a little far, but I think you can catch my drift.

This is a very astute response--poetic, even. You totally get it.

No, I'm not in the matrix here. Check the live version (probably backing tapes, but it's illuminating to hear it as a live song. Imagine stumbling on to this act live, in a bar?)

http://perezhilton.com/tv/index.php?key ... rt=0&end=7

This is a good song, and it has a hell of a hook. It's going to be in your head if you listen.

Watch her stage moves, check out that incredible wardrobe(!), and how professionally she carries herself for someone so young.

She completely owns the stage in this high-tension environment, and listen to her voice--she can really sing, all snarky autotune jokes aside.

My awe of the Katy Perry juggernaut is in very large part derived from my sense that she is crafting her own iconography. This is hard. Recent examples of this explicit self-definition include Eminem, Jay-Z and earlier, Billy Idol. She seems to have supreme control of the situation; her self-manifestation is inseparable from the songs themselves. Many of my absolute favorite acts--Meat Puppets and Husker Du, to pick a couple of random examples--had no idea how to project their images with such thrillingly high-concept definition.

Really, she reminds me of no one since Deborah Harry and Madonna circa "Borderline," which I suppose you could also say is a dull pop song, but marked the moment that Madonna washed over all American culture like a tidal wave (bracelets, anyone?)

We'll see if Perry can do the same. Like I said, let's see what's what in two years. But I think she has tremendous potential.

Your return to the forum got me thinking about this thread from the past. Well, we are about 3 1/2 years later, what are your feelings on Katy Perry now? I was listening to a Bill Simmons podcast in which he and others from Grantland were discussing possible judges for American Idol, and when Perry's name came up, no one was excited, and they expressed that she was likely "over". I hadn't really been paying attention, but I can't argue against the sentiment. Surprising in some ways, but not completely. I'd guess she has one more chance at an album that cements her status as more than a flash-in-the-pan, but she might try another direction, like musical theater, in an effort to leverage herself additional longevity.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm so pissed at how she treated Old Russ that I'm not sure I'd even do her.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Apparently John Mayer doesn't give a shit what any of you say....he's just happy Katy split from her man so he could snake on her ass:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music