MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Grammies

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Grammies

Postby juanton » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm

I thought Dave Grohl looked like an over eager, tubby jam session attendee. Was anything besides his snare and cymbals mic'd up?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Most unusual presenter pairing:

Jack Black/Charlie Haden (when Black introduced Haden, the quizzical applause from the audience was palpable).

Most awkward transition moment from presenter to performance:

When Queen Latifah went from posthumously awarding Dean Martin a lifetime achievement award to introducing "The Rap Pack".
What a joke, and how embarrassing for Martin's family.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 pm

jjoyce wrote:But I'm not sure awarding Robert Plant and Allison Krause was irrelevant. That was a Rounder release and as unlikely/unmarketable pairing as you're likely to find anywhere.

Well....

Anything with those 2 I'd hardly call "unlikely/unmarketable". Only 2 people have more Grammies then Allison. And Robert Plant still has a huge following.

Unlikely only if you ignore all the folk music Robert has been a fan of and the cover Allison did of "Big Log" on her brother's album. Her and Viktor have mentioned many times being fans of LZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmrdh8jO5lc

Add T-Bone and I really like that album. My pick out of the ones nominated.

But in the end it's still a popularity contest. You have to sell a metric crap load of product to get nominated in the big categories.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:55 pm

dstol62 wrote:Most unusual presenter pairing:

Jack Black/Charlie Haden (when Black introduced Haden, the quizzical applause from the audience was palpable).

Charlie is Jack's father in law and Jack sang on his last album.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Just wait ten years and then listen to M.I.A. We will see if she passes the test of time. I don't think she will pass. But I could be wrong. Of course, to a Vampire Weekend fan, shit through a funnel probably sounds pretty good.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:28 pm

In Rainbows and Raising Sand were both released in 2007. What am I missing?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:45 pm

The time frame is Oct-Oct.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:The time frame is Oct-Oct.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was on the island in Lost for a second.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Remember when Christopher Cross won all those Grammys for "Sailing"? Those in the know declared the Grammys pathetic. All these years later, they're still being declared pathetic -- and they're still fun. (And "Sailing" is still a guilty pleasure.)
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Renee Gabel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:What was cooler, Radiohead with the USC marching band or MIA throwing down with Kanye, Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne and T.I. on her due date?

She looks absolutely radiant. I'm sorry I missed the performance. I feel asleep early because I got the impression it was a "Justin Timberlake's Grammy Christmas". I didn't hear until this morning why.

I love her outfit. It's refreshing to see pregnant women getting out of the closet and giving some dudes the willies. I hope more women find inspiration in her.
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:04 pm

i liked t-bone burnett's guitar.
i liked J-Hud.
i loved MIA's preggers outfit. she's the coolest thing that soccer moms can now talk about!
i liked lil wayne's clown act.
i liked the jonas bros' air guitar skills.
i liked neil diamond's Bill Shatner impression.
i liked that adele chick's voice.
i liked radiohead (tusk!)

i disliked kenny chesney's sultry soundz.
i hated katy perry. man was she terrible.
i hated hated hated Kanye's performance. he has to be the most overrated dude in the bizness. i don't get why this guy is supposedly so great. (i like his early 90's hair though. i hope that style comes back. you know, cutting lines in your fade and shit)
i hated the stuffy "yes we can" ripoff speech by the Grammy suit. protecting your assets, i know, i get it.

overall i was entertained about 30% of the time i was watching. that's just enough for me on a sunday night in front of the tube...loaded up on scotch and alleve.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:12 pm

The complete list of Grammy nominees and winners is an interesting read. Some of the categories are what you might call nuanced (Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical).

I'm disappointed William Howard Taft didn't get his Grammy! Maybe next year. But let's hear it for Tia Carrere!
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:23 pm

harrissimo wrote:Just wait ten years and then listen to M.I.A. We will see if she passes the test of time. I don't think she will pass. But I could be wrong. Of course, to a Vampire Weekend fan, shit through a funnel probably sounds pretty good.

Who cares about the "test of time"? Seriously, isn't that just another cranky old guy thing to reference?

A lot of stuff is great specifically because it WON'T pass the test of time. And who is to say that the stuff you think has passed this allegedly important test isn't just appealing to your particular stale tastes? Has Paul McCartney passed this test? Or are his most devoted fans just Beatles fans who want to see him play the old stuff? And since that band reinvented itself on every album, were they admitting that their own sound didn't stand the test of time?

I was chatting with some friends who, go figure, loved the Pixies in college. We were talking about how a lot of Frank Black's songs hold up. But do they really? Sure, they hold up to us, for whom the sound has some significance if only because it makes us remember what it was like to be 19. But does your typical current 19-year old care about them? Or is he more likely to care about M.I.A.?

The value of the Grammies is that it puts what's cool NOW on display.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:A lot of stuff is great specifically because it WON'T pass the test of time.

Difference of opinions aside, this mentality is completely foreign to me. How can you enjoy something while being aware that you won't enjoy it 1, 5, or 10 years down the road? Is there something deeply satisfying about being "with the times"?
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:37 pm

jjoyce wrote:Has Paul McCartney passed this test? Or are his most devoted fans just Beatles fans who want to see him play the old stuff?

Not a big Beatles or Paul solo fan.

But I really like his new "Firemen" stuff. Best stuff he's done in years to my ears.

Go figure.

I liked "Paper Planes" too.

Usually I'm not all that interested in the latest flavor of the week. There's too much great music out there to only worry about what's new. For me and all that.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music