MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Buying a piano

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Buying a piano

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:06 am

I shudder to recall the day in 1983 when movers hoisted my mom's baby grand up four flights of stairs to a new apartment. I had to look away.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:10 am

Now I'm flashing back to Five Easy Pieces.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:49 pm

snoqueen, I have my eyes on a very nice Kawai upright, which you mentioned. This is a "Continental" model. Is that what you got?

p.s. Farley's is really great, and they are going to get my money in the next few days. Thanks again.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:25 pm

I sold mine (thru Farley's) several years ago -- I wasn't playing it any more and it was too nice to just sit there. It was a student size upright, a few inches shorter than a full upright.

I think it was made during the 70s, not real old but not brand new either. Must have been your proverbial "very good year." A little age is good on a good piano, and I loved that thing.

Having a nice piano is a responsibility -- you feel like you've got a responsibility not to just dust it, but to enable music to come out of it. Keeping it closed up and quiet is sort of a sin. Hope you enjoy yours.

By the way, tell them what kind of music you play when they tune it for you. They have some specialized tunings and voicings for different musical purposes if you want to get particular.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:29 am

I don't have a piano to sell, but I am an organ donor.

I'm here all week! Drive safely!
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby El Chifa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Another vote for Farley's. I purchased two pianos from them, and they've done all moving and servicing. I wouldn't consider anyone else in Madison.
El Chifa

Postby Adam Powell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 am

Well gang, I did it. I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous new piano from Farley's House of Pianos, delivered this morning.

I can't heap enough praise on them: every aspect of the operation was totally pro. Thanks for the recommendations.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:48 pm

What kind?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:57 pm

I settled on the Kawai K15 after months of agonizing. I looked and played and thought about a whole lot of other ones, mostly restored/refurbished models. But the tone on this one really sings, it's a beautifully designed instrument, and a joy to play. It was also, not insignificantly, the hands-down favorite of everyone in my family.

Actually, I recommend the agonizing. This is a pretty major purchase, and you really want the right thing.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm happy for you. May you enjoy it for many years and may it bring your family together in harmony!
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Aw, thanks, snoqueen! That's really sweet. The piano is so popular that everyone took turns playing all night and this morning we started right up again. It is a wonderful way to bring the family together--and a roaring fire in the same room just made it all perfect on a wintry night.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to General Music