MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Remasters

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Remasters

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:54 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if I looked around online, I could find a pro-CD quote to counteract everything you just wrote.

What I posted is not opinion but rather fact. A CD, because of its very format, is limited in the amount of actual sound that can be captured. There are a few advantages that CDs have over vinyl, but sound quality is not one of them.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:Oh good god here we go. I'm pretty sure that if I looked around online, I could find a pro-CD quote to counteract everything you just wrote. But I won't bother.
CD won the format war. Get over it. Hey, while we're at it, why don't we issue our new music in other obsolete formats like cassette and 8-track!

Back to the subject at hand. Digital remasters on CD.

Actually, CDs didn't win shit. They are on the way out.

Oh yeah you're right. It's only been the dominant format for the past 20 years or so :roll:

And what's going to replace CD's? Digital distribution? :roll: :roll:
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Kyle Motor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:35 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Oh yeah you're right. It's only been the dominant format for the past 20 years or so :roll:

Yup, and now it's done.

MadMind75 wrote:And what's going to replace CD's? Digital distribution? :roll: :roll:

Yup. Talk to anybody releasing music. It's hard to move CDs these days. Digital distribution is a simpler and more affordable option. No worries about the cost of pressing up CDs, physical distribution & shipping, and storage for when the damn things don't sell.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:12 am

I am down with digital downloads and vinyl. But I still buy some CDs for convenience and to save money (I sell on half.com after ripping 'em). I got the Beatles box and The Band's "Music From Big Pink" remastered as gifts this year. I will be keeping the Beatles box. Let you know how they sound after I get a chance to listen.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm

24bit FLAC files are the way to go. No CDs, just files you can make infinite backup copies of if you're paranoid. Lossless NOT Lossy! I snagged the Beatles Remasters on an "Apple" drive in this format and they blow away the cds and my records:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:08 am

I fear the day music and movies go digital download, and hope that there will always be a tangible counterpart. Hard drives/IPods get corrupted/crash, and if music/movies are purchased through some online service and they are stored within their servers, you can forget any freedom you might have by owning a physical copy.
I'm telling you, the day things really switch over is the day consumers lose true "ownership" over the product, because the RIAA and MPAA will enforce and encrypt many limitations and restrictions.

I don't trust the corporations, and I don't trust digital storage. So for me, physical ownership is the only way to go.

Mp3's fall short of CD quality, and lossless files like Flac, Ape, M4A or uncompressed lossy formats like Aiff, if burned to CD, are probably supported on such a select few home CD players (not to mention take up so much memory) that it becomes somewhat unfeasible to jump ship from MP3's for listening on a home audio system.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 am

MadMind75 wrote:I fear the day music and movies go digital download, and hope that there will always be a tangible counterpart. Hard drives/IPods get corrupted/crash, and if music/movies are purchased through some online service and they are stored within their servers, you can forget any freedom you might have by owning a physical copy.

You know, I kinda agree. That is a valid concern. It's still the way things are going though.

MadMind75 wrote:Mp3's fall short of CD quality...

I'd like to think I'm a bit of a stickler for sound quality, and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with mp3s at 320kbps. No over-compressed bass, no cymbal swishes. They sound perfectly fine and the files are still much smaller than AIFF or WAV.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 am

Kyle Motor wrote:I'd like to think I'm a bit of a stickler for sound quality, and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with mp3s at 320kbps. No over-compressed bass, no cymbal swishes. They sound perfectly fine and the files are still much smaller than AIFF or WAV.

320 kbps is very good, and I'm in the process of re-importing a lot of my older stuff. I didn't know better at first and used the factory settings at 128 kbps, which really put me off of mp3's for a long time. My main concern now is a significant lack of space on my 60 GB iPod. As I'm upgrading files and of course adding new albums I've had to purge three times already, and I know the next cuts are going to be hard.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to General Music